Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Am i wrong asking for original purchase receipts?
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

In a nutshell agreed price & pick up few days later, i did also mention that I would like receipts from original purchase and services just in case there is a frame warranty issue although I know usually sits with original owner. Following day after these requests were re-made the guy stated he had decided to keep it after all?
    Is it wrong to ask for this stuff

edward2000
    Free Member

No I don’t think so. I’ve sold a few bits and bobs and I often state I have the original receipt, if I do! Chances are a genuine seller would have an electronic receipt too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Should ask for it anyway to make sure it’s legit.

convert

if I do

This is key – my admin is not always perfect!

Did the ad say he was the first owner? Would it matter if they weren’t?

jimjam
    Free Member

just in case there is a frame warranty issue although I know usually sits with original owner.

There are only a couple of manufacturers who have transferable warranties. Nicolai and another couple I can’t remember.

I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with customers trying to lie about being the original owner when they weren’t . On each occasion I remembered the original buyer, and even if I hadn’t the epos system makes it quite easy to tell when someone’s lying. It’s very embarrassing (for the customer) when you have to ask them to stop pretending to be someone else.

velocipede
    Free Member

Mmmm, I don’t often keep them so I’d be stuck if someone esker for them!

scotroutes

First time I’ve ever heard of this as a buyer or seller. I can’t see what possible advantage it offers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Warranty issue? Only relevant if it’s transferable. It’s second hand stuff, and if it’s not transferable, there is no warranty.
    It’s a nice to have, but it shouldn’t be a deal breaker. It’s cheap(er) for a reason. Want a warranty? Buy new.

Tony.w
    Free Member

i suppose i was trying to be sure of the bikes previous history, I spose if you want to be sure then buy new
    Ha you beat me to it
    thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

I offer it and expect it. It might inconvenience some people but I have no desire to support the stolen bike trade.

convert

I offer it and expect it. It might inconvenience some people but I have no desire to support the stolen bike trade.

I might be naive, but I don’t envisage the average bike thief wastes his life writing bollox on a mountain bike forum. As I only ever buy from people with a posting history and normal levels of selling, I don’t have trust issues with the people I buy from.

jimjam
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

I barely keep paperwork for anything. On a bike for example I’d simply tell the buyer where I bought it and he can phone the shop, give my details and ask if I did. I can easily fake you an A4 sales receipt but it’s harder to fake a shop.

nwill1
    Free Member

Often I’m selling something I brought 2nd hand with out a receipt…It does fill you with confidence when a seller has the receipts though.

I once was buying a bike off a local site, it was soooo cheap I was concerned it may have been nicked’ I would have not proceeded without him having receipts. Turned out it was all legit and all from a local bike shop…the guy must have been desperate or crazy!! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrong to ask? No
    Wrong to expect? Yes

[harsh answer]
    You don’t have a warranty, it’s sold as seen and it’s none of your business what I paid for it initially

[lass harsh answer]
    Does it add any significant value?

i did also mention that I would like receipts from original purchase and services just in case there is a frame warranty issue

It’s not like a car, apart from bearings being hammered in by a chimp what frame issue does service relate to?

zero-cool
    Free Member

I would happily supply an original receipt with bikes I’ve sold if I had them. But tried to do it with the last one and have turned the house over looking for it but no luck.

I think it’s ok to ask, but they don’t have to give it to you. It would be nice to have it to blag the warranty though.

Tom KP

Lester
    Free Member

original owner or original buyer? if i bought and paid for a bike for my son, or my girlfriends son, who is the warranty for, bit of a grey area maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if i bought and paid for a bike for my son, or my girlfriends son, who is the warranty for, bit of a grey area maybe?

No you bought it and can go back with it, that sort of thing is normal, pretending to be Jo Bloggs when your name is John Smith and have never been to the shop before is taking the piss. Some sellers may offer to handle warranty for you but thats a very nice thing that they do and not to be expected.
    Simple answer if you want warranty buy new.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Am i wrong asking for original purchase receipts?’ is closed to new replies.