• This topic has 58 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Am I doing the right thing here(stripping Hope xc rear hub)pic!!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Spark plug… Check

Freezer…. Check

Bearings… Not yet!

And I,ve managed to deform a spring so need to sorce some now.

Anyone got a spare?

scruff
    Free Member

Probably have.

postierich
    Free Member

scruff – Member
    Probably have.

Can you leave it behind the 4th tree down on the righthand side of a random cheeky trail on the Chase!

Ta

thesurfbus
    Free Member

You can buy new springs for the Pawls.
    I rebuilt an XC Hub recently with cheap bearings, all seemed good on the bench, however when the wheel was bolted into the bike, everything tightened up and the freewheel wouldn't freewheel.
    I haven't rebuilt it with quality bearings as its an old wheel I keep as a spare.
    The only other time I rebuilt the hub was using Hope bearings and it all worked a treat.
    I did replace the axle as well, maybe it hadn't been machined correctly?

Doug

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Id you put the internal spacer in? Schoolboy error 🙂 No reason 'cheap' bearings would lock up when the wheel is in the frame if everything had gone together properly and the bearings where the right size. Going graunchy v quick maybe …

jonathan
    Free Member

when the wheel was bolted into the bike, everything tightened up and the freewheel wouldn't freewheel.

I bought a "just serviced"* pair of Hope hubbed wheels off the classifieds which were in this state. They were cured by seating the bearings properly (ie good and hard).

* When "just serviced" actually means failing to put seat the new bearings properly and completely screwing the freehub bearings to boot… they were my last classifieds buy 😉

nbt

I rebuilt an XC Hub recently with cheap bearings, all seemed good on the bench, however when the wheel was bolted into the bike, everything tightened up and the freewheel wouldn't freewheel.

Sounds to me like you mixed up the spacers. The spacer in the freehub is not the same size as the spacer the separates the freehub from the body. Been there, done that, had to strip and rebuild again to get it working

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

set of 3 pawl springs about £1.50!

I seen on older hubs they sometimes snap in half where they thin out due to rubbing

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I just picked up set of Hope XC hubs on Mavic 521 rims for a bargain price on ebay, the seller said the rear bearings were a bit rough, which was an understatement to say the least, the hub had been abused and forgotten and the bearings corroded onto the axle and hub. Took me several days to get the bearings out.

Step 1 prepare a handy tool to support the hub

Step 2 slide a washer or old bushing on a M5 bolt and place in the end of the axle to protect it from the blows from the 2lb lump hammer.

That used to be a philips head, gives some idea of the bashing that was required!

Step 3 when it doesn't shift soak it in penetrating fluid for 2 days.

Step 4 when that doesn't work, spray verucca freezing spray down the hole in the axle to chill it so it shrinks and slides out of the bearings.

step 5 discover the whole lot was so corroded because the drive side oil seal was completely worn out, as were the o-rings in the axle endcap spacer thingammyjigs.

scruff
    Free Member

Rich you sorted? PM me if you need springs or wotnot and I'll take a look in my bits box later, pretty sure I got some. Can take em out tonight, meeting as normal.

lowey

The right thing to do in this situation mate (or at least in my case is :-

Pick up phone
    Dial +44 (0) 1282 851200
    Speak to nice lady and arrange a service
    Post to hope
    Pay £17.50 (IIRC) plus a bit of postage
    Receive a few days later a fully serviced and as good as new hub.

Job done.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Alright if you can afford it, the 4 bearings off Ebay cost £2.40 and the oil seal from CRC at £1.99 works out less than it would have cost to post to HOPE.

postierich
    Free Member

4X 6001-2rs bearings £14.90 (not skf that I ordered but of similar quality) are now in the freezer, will attempt pressing in an hour.
    Is it normalbearing grease to use to press the bearings in or us copperslip?

Rich

Scruff if you could bring some with you that would be cool,no motor @ the minute so will be heading out from Longdon!

nbt

I never grease the bearings when fitting.

postierich
    Free Member

The bearings giving me a problem are the freehub ones,light grease and first frozen bearing inserted whacked several times seems it will not go past a certain spot about 5mm from the lip stainless its flaking its getting that much abuse (bearing stilll smooth).

Olly
    Free Member

if it goes in on even slightly on the piss it can wedge?

one reason to get a shop to do it, not because they have the proper tool, but if they balls it up, they have to buy you a new one 😉

good luck!
    ive got to do my Pro2 some time soon it would seem.
    will try the freezer trick, never thought of that before….

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well obviously, to get the inner freehub bearing in, you have to drive it past the outer bearing seat first.

Threaded bar and washers might be easier than smacking it with a hammer, difficult to do it evenly.

postierich
    Free Member

Job done I had it in all the way did not realise there was supposed to be a gap in the freehub body!!!!!

Just need a pawl hopefully Scruff will have one tonight when we cross paths.

Olly
    Free Member

i thought it would be a good idea to strip my pro2 while walking around the garden last night (my mind was in a bit of a mess)
    yes, freehub removal, while on the move over wood chippings!
    i now have 3 pawls.

cock.

oh well, spare wheel for the weekend….

rich (or anyone else in the know): if ive paid for next day postage, and the item didnt come next day, but was dispatched on time by the poster (betd) who do i talk to about getting my 7 quid back!?
    x

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Am I doing the right thing here(stripping Hope xc rear hub)pic!!!’ is closed to new replies.