Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Am i a ****? Thule 591 fitting!
  • mickasaki
    Free Member

Am i being stupid or something? just tried fitting the second 591 to the left side of my roofbars. You should be able to remove and rotate the front mounting plate with the securing bar from the carrier, so that it faces the other way, so making it easier to mount bikes. No problem with that, but, mounting the front plate to the roof bars the Tbar bolts are then on the wrong side of the plate and the locking handles dont fit! Anyone else had this problem?

mickasaki
    Free Member

Anyone?

ken_shields
    Free Member

There are two sets of mounting holes in the front bracket for mounting the bike carrying rail which are only accessible when it's off the roof bars. Look at a "normal" one and use the other set of holes

I fitted mine and if I can do it anyone can 😉

mickasaki
    Free Member

Do you have one fitted to both sides of your car? Do they align with each other or is one fitted forward of the other? It would work then, but one is about 15cm infront of the other!If you mount the rail on the other holes, you then have the locking leavers in the wrong side and they dont fit!

geoffj

Look at page 7 here: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/fitting/TU591.pdf

I have 4 on a set of aerobars, so it can't be that difficult.

mickasaki
    Free Member

I know it should be easy to do, but think i may be having a 'senior' moment! Going to take it back off and start again when the snow stops!

mattstreet

mickasaki – yup, switched one of my 591s round and they are no longer symmetric on the roof – one is further forward than the other, so that the Tbar lines up with the nubbin that fits into the aerobar slot.

Also, little tip for you, on the one you swap round, the chainring of the bike will now make contact with the clamp bar, so I'd recommend shifting up the chain to big ring to stop the teeth eating into the clamp.

Crell
    Free Member

I don't remember having any major problems fitting them to the aero bars. I have 2 x facing fwd and 2 x facing back (alternated).

Have a brew, start again 🙂

mickasaki
    Free Member

Do you all still have the front locking leavers coming through the base mount, in the same holes as the right carrier? Starting to wonder if they have changed the front base mount recently?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Not wanting to sound like a twunt…

have you read the manual? pg 7 tells you how to do it.

PDF link on this page (under fitting instructions), if you do not have the manual: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/thule_proride_aluminium_cycle_carrier_no_591/njNA_vVotQS84bRMCktLGSo.9oO2bzgo9bQdIV6t

mickasaki
    Free Member

Yes i did read it! and starting to feal a twunt myself to be honest!

mickasaki
    Free Member

Well, lesson learnt – dont try and adjust it to be level with the other rack, without making sure that one is right first! Thanks for the help, and yes i am a ****

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Am i a ****? Thule 591 fitting!’ is closed to new replies.