Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • AM Carbon Switch Ultra Edition 26"
  • jtintheuk
    Free Member

Any thoughts on this wheelset? Thinking of replacing the wheels on my 26″ Cotic Soul with these.
    Superstar AM Carbon

Tracey

We have a couple of sets. Got them when they were selling them off. For the price they are a good buy, rims and hubs still going strong but have had to be rebuilt with new spokes and nipples

chrishc777
    Free Member

Alot of people seem to get on well with them, I bought a set and the layup was appalling. Managed to get a refund after a couple of stressful phonecalls though

momo

I’ve had a set for 6 months now, rear had to go back after 2 rides as it lost all tension, held up fine for half a lap of Cannock still though. Has been absolutely fine since then, they were great about sorting it too, helps that they’re just down the road from me and I was able to drop it off and collect in person.

Have done a few uplift days on them now and they’ll be staying on the bike for a week of lift assisted riding in the alps this summer.

For info I’m north of 17st and somewhat lacking in finesse at times.

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Thanks for the info so far, definitely food for thought. They are currently in their clearance section with a further 20 percent off. £279 seems like a good buy.

stevede
    Free Member

They are definitely worth that kind of money, think I paid £300 ish for the pair I had on my old bike, the build quality on the rear wheel was poor but I’m ok with a spoke key so tweaked it a few times and was fine after that. Hammered the wheels, hubs are decent and the rims have stood up to some decent abuse – including half a race run with a flat tyre where I decided to just stay off the brakes and hope for the best! Wheel wasn’t even out of true!

russyh
    Free Member

I had a 650b pair on a previous bike. Great wheel set for the money, like others I lost rear spoke tension but fixed it myself easily enough. One thing I hated and have stopped me buying another pair is the rediculous stickers they fit to them under the lacquer. I had the stealth version which even then was too much! The standard decals are just bloody awful. They stopped stickpin the stealth ages ago in fact I’m told when they sell out of all the current carbon wheels they are replacing with something exciting….that’s from a Facebook message I was sent.

But for £300 I doubt you would find a better wheel set

phutphutend

Fantastic rims, although a little bit tricky to get set up tubeless. But massively strong and light. They took some brutal impacts on rockgarden in Grizedale where I pinch flatted they tyre, but rim was OK!

I did some lab testing of them on behalf of Superstar and they way outperformed Stans Flow Ex.

However, budget to send them to your local wheel builder after the first couple of rides. Superstar wheelbuilding machines can be a bit inconsistent.

Tracey

At that price I would go for it. If I was to buy the same again I would take them and have a spoke rebuild straight away.

Rubber_Buccaneer

had to be rebuilt with new spokes and nipples

I’m surprised by this as I thought Superstar used decent spokes and nipples just didn’t always put them together that well. Why did yours need to be replaced?

Tracey

Went baggy a couple of days into a three weeks alps trip, Verbier and Finale. Got fed up by the end of the holiday of trying to get them right and the tension right. Rears were alot worse than the fronts. Decided when we got back that the best option and cheapest option over time would be to have them redone. They have been fine since.
    My L Bs which were built up on old pro2 hubs and used on the same rides didnt need touching and still havent.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of the 650b versions on tesla evo hubs for 6 months now. They’re still straight and true and haven’t required any retensioning. I am pleasantly surprised by their strength,they’ve been smashed into their fair share of rocks and the impact has gone ‘through’ the tyre and into the rim and they’ve been fine. They make a pleasing clang sound when rock strikes rim.

I think they’re better/stronger than the light bike wide am rim I previously managed to crack

momo

Just one more comment from me, I originally bought the wheels for my BFe but moved them on to my full sus as i found them to be a little too unforgiving on the HT. May have been due to running relatively high pressures with tubes.

vmgscot

Just trashed my rear one at the weekend.
    I’m not blaming the wheel… too much enthusiasm and too little skill…next rider down (GF) cracked her Mavic alloy rim on exact same feature! But the wheel rode out another 10km of rocky lakeland trail (inc Castle Crag) despite nasty cracks.

Prior to that was very happy with wheelset – liked the stiffness and my pair (£300) seemed built well with no tweaks required in 6 months.

gelert
    Free Member

Had a pair 12 months now in 26 inch. Mine were well out of dish and tension was all over the place. My LBS mechanic re-dished and re-tensioned them for me and they’ve stayed true since (tiniest bit out on the rear after 12 months of proper hammering).

They supplied the wrong rear axle despite me ordering the right one.

Setting them up tubeless was an absolute mare. All spoke holes were absolutely mint but the valve holes on both rims was almost triangle shaped. Couple of emails to SS and they didn’t want to know at all.

I ended up layering up Gorilla tape around the valves until they stopped leaking air and they’ve been 100% reliable since and tyre changes haven’t been an issue either.

I’ve almost bought another set but now that Stan’s have just announced Mk3 Arch Rims with 26mm internal width and only 406g for a 26 inch rim I’ve asked my LBS for a re-build cost to rebuild a set of Flow EX rims I have on Hope Hubs with the new Arch rim. I think it’ll come out cheaper than buying a new set.

They have been a fantastic wheelset. My SS feehub occasionally skips. It only does it while messing about on my drive. It’s never done it while out riding, even at the races. Yet. I’m sorta waiting for that to fail but hoping it doesn’t.

The front hubs can squeak. The little end caps aren’t the best. Clean / re-grease sorts it but the little rubber seal can break when trying to re-insert and I had to buy new end caps.

Bearings all still fine. Very smooth.

They do have an astonishingly nice feel to them when riding. The zip they give any tyre set is amazing.

I’ve currently got them setup on Schwalbe Suergravity tyres and despite the insane total weight of them now they still spin up amazingly well.

I’ve run them for XC, Enduro and a DH race with various different tyres.

£279 is an insanely good price and I did nearly get another set myself. I kinda still do want another set but as I say the Arch Mk3’s on Hopes will have more peace of mind for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘AM Carbon Switch Ultra Edition 26"’ is closed to new replies.