Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Aluminium YT Capra – anyone got one?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I am looking at the pauper alloy version of the Capra and wondered if anyone had one?

What is the quality of the frame like? Welds, pivots, pivot hardware, finish etc.

And any feelings n how it rides?

Thanks

rawka
    Free Member

Yes, I love it 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My Large will be at Buttermere YH last weekend in March if ye fancy a shot of a Large? Planning the 4 passes, yer welcome to join us.

petey83
    Free Member

I have the 2016 AL model (yari, DB5 brakes, etc). I have had it a year now and really like it despite it being a lot of bike! The only comment I have regarding frame quality is the paint job – I have a lot of paint rub on the chainstay from the heel of my shoe.

Just be sure you are happy with the Monarch Plus R shock as it doesn’t have the 3-position compression that is on the RC3 which is found on the other AL models. Other than that, the 2017 model is great value with Lyriks and upgraded brakes.

Trimix
    Free Member

Stick an invisi kit on it when you get it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like it, changed a few things from the stock build, but not much. Mine is the Al1 btw.

Wasn’t awfully keen on the shock performance, so got an Avalanche damper upgrade at Sprung suspension, which has made the shock far better – supportive in the mid stroke without losing any small bump sensitivity and still getting full travel on bigger hits.

Lyriks are fantastic, they just work really well and stay up a lot better in their travel than my Pikes do.

150mm reverb stealth has been problem free, but I’d like a 170mm in there tbh, Guide brakes have been a revelation, way better than I expected, as I’d had bad experiences with Avid brakes before.

The only things that are obviously a bit cheap on the build are the headset, and the wheels. I’ll replace both before the summer (I bought this in May last year).

It’s a big brute of a bike when required, but pretty nimble and no the mini downhill folk often perceive it as, it’s not as nice to ride as My SB66 was, but then it’s half the price, doesn’t crack every two minutes and the frame bearings last longer than a summer.

I’d buy another.

Oh, and haven’t found fault with the paint at all, only has the odd wee chip from rock strikes.

BFITH
    Free Member

2015 AL1 here. PIKE RCT3 and Monarch Plus. Love the bike! Some paint has found its way off the frame, but mainly due to my riding style 😉 .

Every thing else running fine with very little intervention on my part (jockey wheels are ready for renewal)

chakaping
    Free Member

You’re on a Reign now aren’t you Tomaso?

I only had a quick go on a large Capra AL (same reach as my medium Reign at the time), and it felt a bit more perky but otherwise not dissimilar.

Me and a pal had very similar builds but the Reign came out noticeably lighter on the same scales (2lbs IIRC).

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks all for the comments. I will continue to ponder my never ending bike swap dilemma.

My XL Reign frame is hanging up in the garage looking folorn and waiting for fresh bearings.

I am currently riding a Whtyte T130 with a slacker and 140mm forks, just to dip my toe in the mid travel trail bike water, in attempt to answer the philosophical question of do I need a big 160mm bike.

So far it is just big drops that have made me feel a bit underbiked. I am enjoying the fact the steering isn’t quite so much like an oil tanker. The Reign did not hustle through Nan Bield switchbacks and the Whtyte skips round them.

I am pondering a large Reign, as I think the XL is too long for me in every respect.

The Capra has the spec of bikes costing £3k and makes a some frame swap almost seem irrelevant and poor value.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Not got one but worked on several, not very well built bikes, poor frame hardware and low quality bearings and there very cheap for a reason! The frame quality is dire

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not got one but worked on several, not very well built bikes, poor frame hardware and low quality bearings and there very cheap for a reason! The frame quality is dire

Drivel.

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate worked in a bike shop helping out building bikes and was appalled at the quality of Cube frames. I think it was the finish of tubes, machining, threads, tolerances etc the sort of thing you see when assembling and not the external painted finish.

I am wary of cheap pivot hardware as riding in the Lakes leads to frequent bearing changes and the bolts get some use!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I really fancy the new whyte G160RS, nice frame and pretty much how I’d spec a bike – lyriks, 170mm reverb and eagle groupset.

Nice.

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate I ride with has a G160 and it has made him much quicker and more confident than his 2014 Strive. It seems to be holding up very nicely, but he takes it apart twice month to grease individual ball bearings and it is always toothbrush clean.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Not drivel at all @nobeerinthe fridge do a few bearing changes on one and you will see how easily the bearings go in and out of the frame and links. You end up having to use bearing retainer earlier on in the life of the frame. I put this down to soft low grade aluminium. I’ve seen hardware wear quicker than other brands bikes pivot bolts that become discoloured and worn much sooner.
    You pay your money you take your pick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium YT Capra – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.