Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Alternatives to Commencal AM3
  • pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

My last bike (Boardman FS Team) was stolen, so I’m looking for something new. The Boardman was a decent bike, and great value, but it was a bit twitchy for me, and at 6’3″, even on the large it felt a bit like I was sitting on top of the bike rather than in it. I’m also planning a trip to the Alps, so looking for something a little more capable on the downs.

I managed to get a test ride of the new Commencal AM in XL, which is my dream bike, but at £2500 for the cheapest, about £1000 over my budget, and not great value in terms of componentry. So I’m looking for alternatives, 140mm-160mm trail bikes with slack and low geometry, that can still do some climbing.

The Ragley G6 or 10-4 look promising, but don’t seem to show any sign of being available anytime soon. Another of (partially?) Brant’s creations, the Vitus Escarpe is available on CRC and looks good value, also shares fairly similar geometry, and look with the Commencal,although with less travel. It also has a fairly steep seat angle, so my inevitable foot of seatpost on the 20″ large shouldn’t effect things too much. However I can’t find any reviews yet, and I cant really get to Ireland for a test ride, so I’m a bit wary.

What else should I be looking at? Giant Trance/Reign? Seem to be very well reviewed bikes, but I think I’d prefer geometry of the Reign with the travel of the Trance, also a bit wary of a 19″ large, especially with the relatively slack seat angle, at least compared to the Vitus, as I don’t want to be right out over the back wheel.

Rickos
    Free Member

Have you looked at the YT Industries Wicked. Rubbish name, but excellent value and looks good on the geometry too. MBR have one on long term test for this year. It’s 1600 Euros, so about £1350.

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=162&x7fc9d=77mjq96huvpk0i2i0c6fmema30q8o12i

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Does look quite good on the geometry, and great value. Not so keen on the graphics though, and again, its one I can’t really test ride. Does the latest MBR actually have a review, or is it just a ‘first-look’ style article?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Commencal AM3’ is closed to new replies.