Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alternatives to a Float R shock
  • ac505
    Free Member

My Spicy came with a Float R (apparently tuned for the Spicy….) Anyhoo, it blows through it’s travel something crazy unless you load the pressure right up and therefore loose all small/medium bump compliance. Anything more than a 1ft drop to flat and the o ring is off. So, what alternatives should I look at. I’d like to keep with an air shock to keep the weight down but if a coil is the best option, I’d be daft not to go that way.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

put the right pressure in it

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Is it a high volume air can?

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for juggling with pressures.

IIRC the Spicy has a very variable spring curve which is designed to be plush in the initial stroke but will ramp up towards the bottom out.

Even +/- 5psi can make all the difference.

Otherwise, give TF Tuned a call and explain your requirements, they may be able to tune the shock to suit by changing the internal shim stack. I’ve used TFT a lot (in preference to Mojo) and cannot recommend them highly enough.

carlos
    Free Member

Had a similar thing with the RP23 on my SC, that had the high volume can. Correct sag = blow through travel, more air = loose out on small bump compliance.
    Ended up sending it to TF Tuned. All sorted now

ac505
    Free Member

The sag-o-meter is showing less sag than XC and it\s blowing through with a 1 ft drop. If I ran it at the AM setting it would be pointless. Pressure is higher than spec so that is not the problem. I don’t really fancy paying TFT, the bike is new so I’m guessing I’ll have a pop at warranty. Otherwise a new shock will be on the cards.

PJM1974
    Free Member

By all means try warranty, hopefully they’ll be able to sort something, it may be that you have a dud shock that requires a rebuild or replacement. I’ve had the mid-travel blow through before on a shock freshly serviced by Mojo, which turned out to be a damaged shock body. I had to run about 5mm sag (on a 130mm travel bike) to take the vicious blow through when boosting off jumps.

I run a Float R on one of my bikes and it behaves impeccably, even when set up with too little pressure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to a Float R shock’ is closed to new replies.