Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Alternative to XTR chain set
  • nickc

Can’t get my head around the idea that it’s got slightly swastica ish overtones, what alternatives are there? Nice 2×10 chain sets?

njee20
    Free Member

Really? How odd.

SRAM XX, Race Face, Rotor, Lightning, THM, Tune.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most chainsets are nice, do you want nice or expensive nice, light nice, strong nice?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Middleburn obviously

nickc

Y’know… Nice looking, quality something you’d be happy to put on a once in a lifetime build.

Njee20, you can’t see it? The way the arms bend back like that? 😆

Hmmmm middleburn, are the rings any better at shifting these days? 10 speed compatible?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LX Sq taper?

Hope or CK BB and whatever looks best. Below XTR gives you much more choice on rings/bash etc I recall but after that whatever 🙂

I personally would be looking at the Hope Integrated to match the BB….

Northwind

Older XTR? Don’t see me replacing my M970s til they die. Got some nice carbon X0s but they weigh almost exactly the same as the XTRs.

messiah
    Free Member

RaceFace SIXC or NEXT.

njee20
    Free Member

Y’know… Nice looking, quality something you’d be happy to put on a once in a lifetime build.

Njee20, you can’t see it? The way the arms bend back like that?

Maybe, if you really look for it, but that’s just a bit weird.

For my money I’d be tempted to get the Lightnings if you want something special – the graphics are a bit naff, could polish them off, but they’re very light, and not silly expensive. Clicky. They make the Spesh S-Works cranks.

honourablegeorge

nickc – Member
    Can’t get my head around the idea that it’s got slightly swastica ish overtones,

Are you running it SS?

Rickos
    Free Member

Most obvious on the triple, but no issues on the double. Go for the double version?

Triple –

Trail Double –

njee20
    Free Member

That’s only the trail double, if you get man sized chain rings then it’s more like the triple:

nickc

Oh the trail double doesn’t look that bad. What’s the verdict on race face these days? Turbine looks nice, The rings used to be a bit cheese like

messiah
    Free Member

If your going to post pictures… 595g for 26/38 175mm see the Next SL

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s not a nazi swastika – it’s pointing the wrong way. you’re fine.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hmmmm middleburn, are the rings any better at shifting these days?

that didn’t stop people buying Shimano when they shifted, and lasted, worse than Middleburn.

DanW
    Free Member

Raceface Next SL or Rotor were the top of my list of XTR alternatives. Went with Rotor as super solid and much cheaper than the Raceface carbon cranks. Very happy with the cranks!

Gunz
    Free Member

Nice looking, quality something you’d be happy to put on a once in a lifetime build.

Still coming back to Middleburn myself for that ‘use for a lifetime’ feeling.

nickc

Gave away my set of Middleburn UNO’s to a mate, they scuff up really easily IME.

RustySpanner

Buy a HS125 train set & a Deore chainset.

Twice as much fun, same price.

Northwind

Middleburn are lovely looking cranks but the OP wants a XTR competitor, not something with the weight of XT, the shifting of worn-out Deore, and the price of lolwut.

nickc

these look nice, purposeul…bit grrrrr. ( i need all the help I can get )

Superficial
    Free Member

I admit I saw the swastika thing when I first saw the new XTR group, I don’t think it would bother me, certainly not enough that I’d swap from Shimano and go for *shudder* Race Face cranks.

Besides, that shape is really old and means ‘creation’ or something. Was around way before the Nazis, anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

fizzicist
    Free Member

Have a look on CRC – there’s some heavily discounted FSA stuff at the moment.

rewski
    Free Member

Isn’t it the wrong direction for a swastika? Have you ever done a Rorschach test?

singlespeedstu

Are you running it SS?

😆

ransos
    Free Member

Depends which way up the cranks are…

chakaping
    Free Member

The RF Turbine looks great doesn’t it? I almost bought one but then remembered it’d probably have that annoying self-extracting bolt system still. So I got an XT.

theflatboy
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Depends which way up the cranks are…

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

It’s a Hindu religious symbol that the Nazis nicked..

Look at it as inspiration for your trail riding! 😆

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

fizzicist – Member
    Have a look on CRC – there’s some heavily discounted FSA stuff at the moment.

Blimey.. some bargains to be had there!

emsz
    Free Member

Why are the FSA ones so cheap at CRC? What’s wrong with them?

frogstomp

I’ve got a couple of RF cranks and you can still us a normal crank extractor tool if you prefer (as I have where I stripped the thread of one of the crank cap bolts)..

plyphon
    Free Member

Are you running it SS?

Can’t believe more people didn’t spot this one.

10/10, would laugh again.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to XTR chain set’ is closed to new replies.