Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • alternative to Time Atac pedals
  • sefton
    Free Member

I was going to buy some nice new pedals for my mtb

I was going to get time atac (which is what I run on my 2 cyclocross bikes)

but they are so expensive and the cheaper models look a bit crap.

when I looked at XT pedals and crank bros they are a lot cheaper.

I bought the time atac years ago for the knee friendly thing.

for one set of the new (nice looking) time atac http://www.merlincycles.com/time-atac-xc8-carbon-pedals-60547.html they are £80

whats the crac with the shimano pedals…is there much difference between models?

are egg beaters going to fall to bits?

Houns

Go for looks

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I had Atacs, but in the end, when they started to rattle, went back to the shimanos and not missed them at all. I couldn’t face a £70 a set rebuild kit from Chickens for a spring and bar, when I got decent shimanos new for half that, in a sale and sold the pedals on ebay which covered the swop.

sefton
    Free Member

they need to perform really well in thick cyclocross mud.

I also use one cx bike for commuting

and I’ll swap them over to the mtb in summer

t-p26
    Free Member

Go for something else that will clog with mud, have crap bearings then.Ive run Time ATACs in their various guises, including the plastic ones for many a year. Yes they wear out....eventually, show me a pedal that doesnt, but I`ve never been let down by them.

nickc

Aren’t Mavic the same, have you looked at those? Really thick mud is about the only thing that defeats shimano IME, but they’re still the best clipless by a country mile

hambl90
    Free Member

I’ve had shimano in the past and would never swap my time roc atacs for them now . Time are far better IMO for engagement and release.

theotherjonv

They might look a bit crap, but as i assume they’ll be under your feet performing perfectly for all of their long lives, not hung on a wall being studied intently, wgas?

aP
    Free Member

I’m still using original ATACs from 96 on my commuting bike. The only pair of shimano spds I had completely wore out in less than 3 years. I know which pedals are better value.

Sancho
    Free Member

Mavic I think have bought TIME and their new pedals are the same

euain

I’ve just dumped Time after using them for 15 years. From original ATACs through to latest XC6.

Never broke a pedal before but since he rebranding to xc6/xc8 I bought a new pair then had the pins holding the springs in slide out on both pedals and then broke a retaining bar. Replacements lasted 2 weeks until a pin started to slip out but retaining bar broke before I could send back.

Looking at replacement and decided XT was the way to go. Half price (hell, you can get a cheap pair of pedals for less than time cleats) and I’ve had no problems with the action.

rj
    Free Member

Merlin tend to be pretty competitive for Times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Happy with CB but never tried time, rebuild kits are cheap enough and easy to do. I’ve not dropped smaller than candies and I’m very happy with the new stuff.

jimc101
    Free Member

Would keep an eye on ebay, Time Atac Alu normally for for £25ish new, although not many on now as it’s the holidays, for retail, Merlin as noted is normally the cheapest

saladdodger
    Free Member

After years of ATAC’s and all the bushes wore out, I have sold out and gone to shimano M540’s at £24 a set with cleats
    better no
    worse no
    cheaper YEP

saladdodger
    Free Member

After years of ATAC’s and all the bushes wore out, I have sold out and gone to shimano M540’s at £24 a set with cleats
    better no
    worse no
    cheaper YEP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘alternative to Time Atac pedals’ is closed to new replies.