• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • almost scared to ask… shall I put iOS 5 on my ipad?
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

… the all knowing Internet tells me that people had some annoying problems (battery drain, apps getting “lost” and needing to be downloaded again, not all apps compatible…) and am now wondering which iOS 5 feature(s) would be so fantastic that it’s worth upgrading my ipad for? Shall I just wait for version 5.xx which might have fixed at least the battery drain issue?

DrJ

No problems here. The Guardian app alone is worth it IMO.

GrahamS

Yes.

Most people have no issues with the upgrade. The ones that do are the most vocal.

GrahamS

If you want a killer feature then the new notifications thing is the most useful to me.

Finally no need to unlock the phone to see what that email “ding” was and no more interrupting a game because someone sent me a text.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Works fine for me. Very nice it is too. Worth it for the new notification mechanism alone.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve updated two 1st generation ipads and a 3GS phone and have had no problems apart from a very slow download on day one of the update becoming available.

For me the only reason to update was to allow access to the cloud functionality. The other stuff is nice and is an improvement but on its own wouldn’t have been enough for me to bother with the update.

peteimpreza

No problems here but leave yourself plenty of tome to do it. The upgrade backsup the entire device, completely wipes your contents, loads the new OS and then restores all Apps and content. I have a full 64gb ipad and it took a few hours from start to finish.

Also first make sure you have the latest version of iTunes if you are on PC or Mac.

If running Lion on Mac make sure you load the the recent updates for this first. This in itself will take sometime as the updates are almost 1gb in size.

stradl8r
    Free Member

Had problems on my iphone but none on my ipad

GrahamS

Another killer feature for iPad might be iMessage.

(As I understand it) it lets you effectively “text message” other iPhone and iPad users using wifi without the need for a calling plan.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

(As I understand it) it lets you effectively “text message” other iPhone and iPad users using wifi without the need for a calling plan.

Yes it does. I’ve tried it from my Mother’s wifi only iPad to my 3GS. Works fine, takes a little time initially to establish that both devices are iOS5 but once that is done subsequent messages go through just like any other text.

It’s a good feature for her as she can text from home using a larger keyboard which she finds a lot easier.

theflatboy
    Free Member

find my iphone seems like a pretty awesome feature to be included, as well. useful.

xiphon
    Free Member

I would recommend doing a backup of your iPad state, then doing a clean factory reset (of iOS4).

Then upgrade to iOS5.

Then load your apps, etc back on.

_tom_
    Free Member

My Dad did it and it didn’t work, had to go back to the old one. Same issue on his iPhone. It just works.

alp_girl
    Free Member

wow, thank you all very much 😀 You’ve definitely counterbalanced all the negative stuff I read!!

GrahamS, I guess you’re right, all the people who are happy with it are not likely to post about it everywhere…

I’ve already downloaded the latest itunes and the upgrade files (at least I think that’s what the 700MB worth of stuff is?), so I’ll connect the ipad and give it a good few hours to rebuild itself.

alp_girl
    Free Member

xiphon – Member

I would recommend doing a backup of your iPad state, then doing a clean factory reset (of iOS4).

Then upgrade to iOS5.

Then load your apps, etc back on.

Will a factory reset take all the apps off then?

GrahamS

Yeah, I’d definitely recommend taking a backup before you start (right click on your iPad in the left hand pane of iTuens and choose “Backup”).

Then you can restore it if anything goes horribly wrong.

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes, factory reset puts it back to when you pulled it fresh out of the box…

Doesn’t iTunes have a record/backup of your apps anyway?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Do it

Wireless syncing is brilliant and safari is more like the desktop version with tabs AND you can use 4 fingers to scroll though your open apps.

alp_girl
    Free Member

I think my ipad is backed up every time I connect it to itunes on the PC, but I’ll make sure I get a totally up to date backup before the upgrade attempt!

I assume if something did go wrong, itunes would then be clever enough to take the ipad back to iOS4? I assume you can’t download installation files for old OS?

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s oresomely oresome.

GrahamS

I assume if something did go wrong, itunes would then be clever enough to take the ipad back to iOS4? I assume you can’t download installation files for old OS?

Probably. Or more likely it would do a factory reset, upgrade you to iOS 5 with a blank iPad then ask if you want to Restore everything from backup – which would give you an upgraded iPad with all your apps anyway.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Or more likely it would do a factory reset, upgrade you to iOS 5 with a blank iPad then ask if you want to Restore everything from backup – which would give you an upgraded iPad with all your apps anyway.

^ This is what happens

footflaps

No problems here with updating 3GS, 4G and iPad 1.

footflaps

No problems here with updating 3GS, 4G and iPad 1.

NB Some features only work on the iPad 2 eg multi-touch 🙁

Drac

Fine here on my 3GS and naturally on my 4S. Some nice new features it must be said, notifications as mentioned is excellent no more silly big pop ups.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘almost scared to ask… shall I put iOS 5 on my ipad?’ is closed to new replies.