Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Almighty wedding passport cock up
  • singletrackmind

Yes .
    You know whats coming.
    I am a complete and utter 'tard.
    Prepare yourselfs for usual put downs etc.
    You might remember from about 2 weeks ago my wedding list rant, where the couple asked for water glasses at £63.99 a pair etc. Well, the weddings on Thursday, and its in Eire, and my passport ran out 3 months ago.
    Booked flights and hotel already so I am already £200 out of pocket . The flight is on Wednesday afto, with EasyJet to Norn Ireland ( Belfast INternational) Then a few pints B and B , wedding and reception Thursday , home Friday. So i go online to do the whole online check in, and thought i better had get my passport out in case its needed.
    Now NI is part of the British Isles, and in theory no passport is needed , but Easyjet require valid photo ID on all flights . This is the problem . No photo driving licence, and an out of date passport.
    Rang the stupid help line , and it cleary says a VALID photographic ID is needed for all domestic UK flights,.
    So basically, with Easyjets everyso helpful ( lets do everything possible not to let the passengers on the plane ) staff I really think I am screwed.
    I have looked on T'web and passport 1 year extensions seem to no longer exist.
    I think its my subconcious as i didnt really want to go anyway. All it will end up with is an expensive headache, and me wishing i was somewhere else.

In reality i will probably go to the airport anyway and try and wing it. If it fails, which it probably will then there is not really alot else I can do. Although i bet BA or other non budget airline will let you fly domestic without a valid passport.

feckeedddddy **** **** **** ****

allthepies
    Free Member

Can't you just rock up at your nearest* passport office, pay a load of extra £££ and get one there and then ? Thought they offered that service.

* may be frickin' miles away

JulianA
    Free Member

Can you not go to Newport or wherever the passport office is and queue up for a renewal?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ferry.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

If it were me I would wing it there and they would spot it on the way back

bassspine
    Free Member

My brother went to the passport office and got his done in a few hours. (He said being able to speak and read english is a huge advantage if you need to get sorted quickly)

Drac

Just short of £130 for same day renewal.

woffle
    Free Member

if you can be bothered / want to shell out the extra dosh you should be able to make an appointment at the very least for a fast tracked passport application where they do it on the day. Had to do it myself a couple of years ago…

singletrackmind

Same day renewal , all day queueung in London basically tomorrow . No time booked off work and no interest in spending all day in the smoke.
    I have been abroad before and got away with it , onthe ferry to France. Plus got back in to Uk at Gatwick with no passport at all. It was in my mates pocket as i had my right hand in a plaster cast and sling after a skiing accident. They asked me my name , where i worked and lived , then let me through.

Its the easyjet staff hitlers that are the problemo. I am in no way good looking, or charming enough to get away with it if they spot it.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I had to do this last year- realised on Sunday and had a new one in my hand on Monday afternoon. It was expensive though!

flatfish
    Free Member

tell you what, why not check your passport is in date and get a valid driving licence sorted.
    no sympathy.
    cretin.

singletrackmind

I have a valid driving licence thanks, Its just an old school one without a photo.

flatfish
    Free Member

well get a new one.
    surely you would check that either your passport is in date or atleast have a vaild photo driving license before you book a flight?

allthepies
    Free Member

>surely you would check that either your passport is in date or atleast have a vaild photo driving license before you book a flight?

Even for a domestic flight ?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Check if a train season ticket photo is acceptable.

nickc

My nan got to NI on her bus pass, as like you she had neither driving license or passport. I think she pulled the old "I may never see my relatives again" trick though the conniving old bag…

iDave
    Free Member

drive/ferry – sorted

flatfish
    Free Member

i do and i've never been refused onto a plane.
    six p's prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

no excuse

jonb
    Free Member

My GF has flown domestic with Easyjet(Newcastle, Bristol) on a work ID badge. Got anything with your name and photo on it?

stevehine

I'd just turn up with your out-of-date passport and anything you can find with ID on it. It's not border control; so as long as you can persuade the airline that you are who you are there should be no problem. – Like jonb says – you just need _some_ ID. Arguably you don't even need that; but it's up to them if they don't want to let you on the plane. I flew to Dublin based on no more ID than the swipe of my credit card to confirm the reservation – though I did ring to check first.

allthepies
    Free Member

Bingo, Steve has it I think. An out of date passport should still qualify as photo ID.

https://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/20040628_01.html

UK domestic flights

* A valid passport – an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of two years after expiry
    * Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    * Valid photographic driving licence
    * Valid armed forces identity card
    * Valid police warrant card/badge
    * Valid airport employees security identity pass
    * A child on parent' s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    * CitizenCard
    * Valid photographic firearm certificate
    * Valid Government-issued identity card
    * SMART card
    * Electoral identity card

Acceptable form of non-photographic ID:

* Pension Book

singletrackmind

Pension book LOL.
    I am not that old .
    Flatfish must have been in the SAS , as Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
    Plan Ahead, I say , as retrospective planning never seems to work.

I am going to ring EAsyjet to see, but the man at the Passport Fastrack call center , who happened to be Irish said he has never been asked for his passport. I was all set for a gun run to Newport in the morning , quick whizz round Afan, then back to collect my shiney new passport, but they have no immediate appoitments.

nigew
    Free Member

I have just watched Airline on TV, i know i know, and Easy Jet just let a women travel to France with an expired passport!
    She was very nice to the staff and they bent over backwards to help her, so just turn up if you dont get fixed up at the Newport Passport Office

toby1

Let's face it, it was a subconcious way out – if you went you'd only end up getting wrecked and telling the 'happy couple' what you really think of them!

hora
    Free Member

Jason Bourne wouldnt have this problem 😉

andylaightscat
    Free Member

oops

DezB
    Free Member

You know it's the BIG BIKE BASH calling you.. 🙂

cretin – love it! 😆

Last week rode (and drove) through 4 different country's borders. Waved through without showing passports each time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ironically, anyone with malicious intent would be sure to have perfect ID so as not to attract attention…

marsdenman
    Free Member

That'll be karma biting you in the butt for dissing the wedding list…….. 😀 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

How did it pan out in the end?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Almighty wedding passport cock up’ is closed to new replies.