• This topic has 68 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • All these ads
  • IWH
    Free Member

*chortle*

Drac

*reads back the above posts*

Not a wild claim, people have admitted to it in this thread…

Unless there’s only 10 members on here then the 7 people who have admitted to it on this thread is not most.

miketually
    Free Member

Not a wild claim, people have admitted to it in this thread…

A small number of people have admitted it.

Only a relatively small percentage for web users have the browser needed to block ads, and of those only a small percentage have “done the things which we do not mention” to block the adverts.

Besides, does it matter if some people don’t see them, if they make money?

Gary_M
    Free Member

just how do you know most people block them or was that just a wild claim?

I could think of more interesting things to make wild claims about. Wow look at me I can block ads, I’m amazing.

Drac

I could think of more interesting things to make wild claims about. Wow look at me I can block ads, I’m amazing

No, he was claiming most people block the ads, I have no doubt those that admitted to blocking them do so. When you’ve managed the ability to read what people have put please post back.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Perhaps if your posts were written in a more precise manner people would understand what you are trying to say. he was claiming most people block the ads Who is ‘he’ – am I supposed to know which ‘he’ you are referring to?

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I still don’t understand what the big issue people have with the ads is – at least now they are more processor friendly. Not so hard to mentally tune them out if that’s what you want to do. Despite the ads sitting there on my page I have to actively go and look to work out what it is people are on about.

aracer
    Free Member

Gary_M – if you bothered following the thread (or even just reading the post above the one you quoted) it would be obvious who ‘he’ is. I think most people on here who’ve managed that understand exactly what Drac was on about.

Mark

There’s tow metrics we look at to get an idea of how many are blocking ads. The page views as reported by our main site hosting server minus the page views reported by our separate ad server. The differences are currently tiny. Less than 1%.. About as far from being described as ‘most’ as it is possible to be.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m sure Drac is touched by you standing up for him, are you his boyfriend?

Drac

Perhaps if your posts were written in a more precise manner people would understand what you are trying to say. he was claiming most people block the ads Who is ‘he’ – am I supposed to know which ‘he’ you are referring to?

Well other seems to manage very well, maybe because they read the thread instead of trying to find someone to jump on.

Less than 1%.. About as far from being described as ‘most’ as it is possible to be

FACT!

GrahamS

Interesting and unexpected, thanks Mark.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am very suprised at less than 1% blocking ads. Do all adblocking methods show up? I have a choice of at least three different ways of blocking ads should I choose to do so.

I am convinced myself that the flashing and animated ads reduce clickthru. I certainly do not click thru to CRC from this page anymore.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Jesus what a touchy bunch (Drac and the other one) eh. Chill out fellas.

DezB
    Free Member

it’s easier to look away from the screen with a TV, as during the ads there’s nothing interesting to see

I find it bloody easy not to see the ads on here. Without blocking them. I block them with my b r a i n oooh.

Drac

I’m sure Drac is touched by you standing up for him, are you his boyfriend?

Not yet but he continues with such ability to read he may win me over.

Jesus what a touchy bunch (Drac and the other one) eh. Chill out fellas.

What the hell are you on about now?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The differences are currently tiny. Less than 1%

it is possible to download the content but not render it visible

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I block them with my b r a i n oooh

please do NOT expand on this or you will be banned! I think people have different levels of sensitivity to off centre visual disturbances

GrahamS

it is possible to download the content but not render it visible

Well you can, but that is pointlessly wasteful of bandwidth (your own and theirs) and means you wouldn’t benefit from any possible increase in speed.

The “thing that shall not be named” which most people use to block adverts simply does not request them in the first place.

IWH
    Free Member

I do find it amusing that Drac bemoans people not reading threads / posts but is guilty of doing exactly the same.

My comment was:

“I was asking (although to be fair I could have made it clearer) whether or not the advertising actually had any effect (IE made them money) or if people (as it seems most do) blocked it or simply ignored it.

There have been 24 people comment on this thread (myself included), 9 of those people admit to ad blocking – that’s just a smidge under 38% of users on one thread who block, I haven’t counted those who just ignore the ads.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that’s just a smidge under 38% of users on one thread who block

but self selecting and therefore not statistically significant

DezB
    Free Member

Drac bemoans

It’s his thing. Just watch…

IWH
    Free Member

Well to be fair Simon I did expect more people to read / comment who had an ‘issue’ with the ads so you’re right, the 38% isn’t a fair indication of sitewide trends. I was curious. I have an answer and as an STW user I have a statistic. In my World (on a Wednesday afternoon) that makes me happy 😉

Dez – That became horribly obvious very early on.

aracer
    Free Member

Neither is 38% a majority. If you want some stats for the other side, I don’t block ads at all (though I have previously).

Not yet but he continues with such ability to read he may win me over.

You’re not my type – sorry 😥

Drac

It’s his thing. Just watch…

What makes you think that?

There have been 24 people comment on this thread (myself included), 9 of those people admit to ad blocking – that’s just a smidge under 38% of users on one thread who block, I haven’t counted those who just ignore the ad

One thread doesn’t represent the entire membership though which was my point. If it did 38% is still not most.

You’re not my type – sorry

Damn!

IWH
    Free Member

I didn’t say the majority blocked the ads. I was asking if people blocked OR ignored the ads. 38% (screw the stats) 9 of 24 admit to blocking, a few others admit to ignoring or not clicking through.

Sheesh. All this arguing over semantics because I asked a simple question!

Right – my question was answered, a couple of people had digs at each other and we’ve all learned something from Mark. Can we move along now? Nothing to see here!

aracer
    Free Member

Can we move along now?

No – we like arguing about semantics.

or if people (as it seems most do) blocked it or simply ignored it.

The trouble you see is with your phrasing. Two clauses with “or” in front of them there, implying they aren’t directly related. Hence the parenthesised comment only applies to one of those clauses. It’s not even as if it’s particularly interesting how many people ignore the ads – you have to assume the vast majority effectively do most of the time given the tiny proportion of ad clicks to page hits at STW (I don’t think that’s a particularly wild assumption).

DezB
    Free Member

What makes you think that?
    Ah, just a little “conversation” we had on a previous thread.

Moving along!

Drac

Ah, just a little “conversation” we had on a previous thread.

Hehehe!

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘All these ads’ is closed to new replies.