Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • All the Bells 08:12 27/07/12
  • twiglet_monster
    Free Member

All,

Right – Olympics cynics move along – nothing to see here…

The rest of you – being people who are looking forward to London hosting the Olympics in varying degrees – here’s something that’s been kept pretty quiet and might just be of interest.

At 08:12 on the day of the opening ceremony a mad bloke with a beard (does he ride SS?) is “performing” Work No. 1197: All the bells in a country rung as quickly and as loudly as possible for three minutes

He’s not lifting a finger – it’s us that he wants to do the performing.

There’s many many churches who have already signed up, along with all kinds of groups and places with bells. It’s a unique event and it’s just bonkers enough that it might just work…

Us cyclists are equipped with bells (you didn’t take it off your new bike did you?) and are ideally placed to be able to join in.

This website All the Bells has lots more info – as well as a map showing public and private events taking place.

I’ll be at the top of Redhill Common in Surrey – if you’re local then please bring a bell and come and join us to make some noise and welcome London’s Olympics. I’ve added a public event already on the map linked from the website above.

Otherwise, I hope you can join in too – it’d be nice to think that there’s a whole load of STWers out there forming our own “virtual” group 🙂

TM

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

bump for the Friday afternoon work avoidance crowd (That’ll be me then :))

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Big Ben is joining in – are you?

1 day to go!

TM

Muke
    Free Member

Gotta love a bit of campanology….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maaweWsN7I4[/video]

ohnohesback
    Free Member

In the past a mass ringing of bells was a warning of invasion. And we have been invaded, not only by the forign forces ‘protecting’ their athletes but by the nasty olympic corporate ideology.

Sir Robert Walpole: “Today they are ringing the bells; tomorrow they will be wringing their hands.”

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Really enjoyed that – we made a right old racket on Redhill Common 🙂

ohnohesback – Looks you’re in for a miserable few weeks in that case!

TM

Klunk
    Free Member

not a sausage here, I’d ‘ave been in big trouble if the Nazis had invaded.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

At 8.12 this morning my dopey, doe-eyed neighbour was franticly ringing a tiny x**s decoration bell for some reason. It truly is worrying…

And people wonder how Hitler took power so easily…

Mounty_73

I’m curious….why 8.12?

goon
    Free Member

Twelve hours until 20:12 apparently.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Apparently it was 12 hours from the start of the opening ceremony that is due to begin at… 20.12! Do you see what They’ve done there? Yes, excruciatingly twee, isn’t it!

Mounty_73

I see. Cheers.

Bring it on I say! I only wish other people around me were a little bit excited by it all! 🙂

LapSteel
    Free Member

Jeremy Hunt comedy Bell ringing
    clicky

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy and I joined in on Westminster Bridge along with probably 1000 other (nutters) culture vultures, and most cyclists who had bells rang them too.. Nice. So too a white van man who beeped his horn at a random wheelchair bloke gliding down the wrong way on the 3 lane entrance to the bridge near the lights.. (by BB)

“t’was ding dong”

All in all I think this is the start of something very special happening in the the city/country.

Theres loads more Arty stuff going on in That London, after all not everyone is a sports fan are they..(I know, they’re a bit mentalist)

rkk01
    Free Member

Jeremy Hunt – and the end of a bell!! 😳

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘All the Bells 08:12 27/07/12’ is closed to new replies.