Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • All mountain 29er-ers – let's talk tyres
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Because while you’d think this forum has seen enough “what tyres” threads to survive a nuclear winter, there’s surprisingly little on this topic.

I’ve been using the On One Smorgasbord (same carcass as Maxxis Exo tyres apparently) and the Spesh Purgatory Grid – but have holed both when letting it go on rocky trails.

Thinking I’ll stick with my On One Chunky Monkey on the front as that’s been good as gold so far, but I want something with a thicker carcass on the rear.

Currently looking at Schwalbe Hans Dampf Trailstar Supergravity or a dual ply Minion DHF – both of which come in well over 1kg but I think that could be a price worth paying.

So what are you riding and how’s it held up in the Lakes etc? Really interested if you’re riding fast on rocky stuff.

singlespeedstu

DHF FTW.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bontrager se4 team issue

chakaping
    Free Member

I was leaning toward the Minion Stu, as it’s about the same quoted weight as the Schwalbe, probably a bit narrower and I know Maxxis tyres last well.

You riding the 2-ply version? Tubeless?

Kryton57

I recently ride a wet Afan on a Ron/ralph performance combo which surprised me with thier grip tbh.

However, I’ve just thought about it having taken delivery of a new set of race/summer wheels wanting something i could leave on the clunkers most of the year, and therefore my “old” wheels are now mounted with a Hutchinson Toro front and Ron rear. Note the Ron is the performance version which I ran in Afan – now dual compound and 60tpi so not too fragile, won’t wear too fast but above all half the price of xxxstar schwalbes. And fast.

singlespeedstu

Exo’s tubless have been fine apart from a front one that had a huge burp in Spain and when I inflated it again had a massive wobble in it.
    When i removed it it looked like the chords in the carcass had torn.
    It did happen at the bottom of a set of rock steps into a tight switchback though. I may also have not been paying attention to where I was going until i saw the consequenses of missing the switchback…
    Up until then they had survived Verbier and Ffestiniog fine.

tomaso
    Free Member

Magic Mary super gravity up front on my Enduro 29er has been fantastic up in the Lakes. However the Hans Dampf super gravity out back was tight on the original wheels but on Flow rims it rubs on the front mech under choppy power (crap pedaling technique). Schwalbe 2.3s are a fair bit bigger than Maxxis 2.3s.

The premium Schwalbe’s have excellent grip and the super gravity casing has held up well to Lakeland rocks and a buffon in command.

A Minion DHF 2.3 exo terra wotsit is out back and should do the job.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m running a DHF 2.5 front and DHR2 2.3 rear on my Alpine Five.

The 2.5 comes up 2.4 and the 2.3 comes up 2.25.

The DHF is miles ahead of the Hans Dampf, in grip, strength, longevity, and predictability.

I’d go with the dual compound DHR2 on the rear, for longer life and better rolling resistance, but still mega grippy. And 3c compound on the front.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I was at whinlatter on Friday with WTB Bronsons and I nearly caused myself some damage a few times. Great in the dry but nasty on anything remotely wet. Back to Mountain Kings for the winter now. They might be a bit poor for rolling resistance but they will grip in the wet and the corners, but more so they are predictable. It takes a lot for them to give way and lose traction and grip.

frood
    Free Member

Really liking the Hans Dampf as a front in Snakeskin format in the tweed valley. Bombproof, predictable. 2.35 comes up bigger than the Chunky Monkey 2.4. Been running Smorgasboard rears. Didn’t like the Conti Mountain King I tried as a rear – sidewalls were too flimsy, not sure which version it was though.

Looking at another Schwalbe for the rear once I wear the Smorgasboard out, but VFM it’s hard to beat.
    I like Ralphs or Crossmarks as a Summer rear for just about everything, but now that it’s a bit sloppier looking more nobby nic or similar. I like the Snakeskin sidewalls for tubeless

weeksy

Mine came with a massive set of Kenda Nevegals, they’ve actually been brilliant. Strong, soft and grippy. Bloody heavy though, but I don’t care about that when they’re on.

swavis

I’ve been using a Minion DHF on the front for a while and really rate it. I’ve just fitted a High roller 2 on the rear on my Bandit and it’s a massive improvement over the Geax something or other that I had before. Just have to see how long they last now…

chakaping
    Free Member

Tomaso was it you posting about 2-ply 29er tyres before? Did you decide against it?

I’ve found the EXO-carcass tyres very good until I start going fast enough that I can’t be so exact in my line choice, then I’ve been getting holes that won’t seal on the rear.

Maybe having 130mm travel at the back doesn’t help.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes it was me searching for dual ply 29er tyres! Maxxis do a 2,5 Minion DHF in dual ply DH casing but I thought it was expensive and wider than I wanted out back.

The Schwalbe super gravity casing is nearly as thick as a Maxxis dual ply and it is certainly very tough. The fit is very snug and bodes well for tubeless security.

I’ve got a spare Hans Dampf if you want to try it and you are anywhere near Lancaster?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’ve holed the EXO casing then that pretty much only leaved DH tyres. Otherwise I’d have suggested the purgatory. If you ride mostly rocky trails rather than muddy you could try Eskars which are a little wider.

I loved my WTB bronsons ove rthe summer, but they’re thinner again.

egb81
    Free Member

Han Dampf Trail Star on the front and Continental Trail King Protection on the rear for me. I quite like the combo, the Trail King being particularly impressive.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nextdaytyres have helpfully confirmed that the DH casing Minion DHF is a proper 2.5in, so a bit too wide for my needs.

I’ll drop you a line about the HD cheers Tom.

🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

EXOs are reasonable but they just lack the thickness to survive repeated rocky abuse. Eskars and Purgatory’s are even thinner in the sidewall department

borderbloke
    Free Member

WTB Vigilante all the way – a point and go tyre that never punctures. Use it at GT and on natural trails.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone used a Magic Mary as a rear?

Quite like the look of the tread pattern and thinking of the supergravity carcass in trailstar compound.

somouk
    Free Member

My bro runs a Magic Mary up front and a Hans Dampf on the rear in Scotland and has had no issues.

I tend to run a Hans Dampf on the front a Nic on the rear for wet trail centers and the mynd.

justatheory
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher on the front and Purgatory on the rear have been serving me well so far in The Peak.

chakaping
    Free Member

Need something a bit more sturdy for the rear on my fs.

Love the purgatory and butcher on my ht though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘All mountain 29er-ers – let's talk tyres’ is closed to new replies.