Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alfine 8 – Anyone properly hammering one of these off road??
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

…If so what is the result?
    I’m talking medium sized jumps, drops and rock gardens on a hard tail.

considering one for a new build – realize weight distribution wont be ideal for this sort of thing but more concerned about longevity.

nixie

Can’t help on the longevity Q as both of the ones I have have been light XC / commuting (no issues with either for this).

If you do go for one and want a nicer shifter I have a zerode bikes alfine 8 shifter that I think I’m going to sell (based on sram x9, much nicer feel that stock).

Andy-R

I’ll buy that shifter, Nixie, if you decide to sell. Drop me an email if you do want to part with it.

woody2000

My brother’s had an Alfine 8 (Charge Duster) for 3.5 years now and it’s never missed a beat. It’s had plenty of riding, not sure I’d say it had been hammered as such, but it’s definitely been well ridden.

nixie

Andy, sent you an email.

lucien

Mine did 2 years of rough riding, through the winters mainly with little maintenance – asked my LBS to service it and it’s never been the same since. The fact it was on a HT didn’t help, plus where and when riding didn’t help, and if I’m really honest wasn’t the best riding experience I ever had. I know there’s been a lot on here about comparative weights etc, and I’m no engineer or tekkie, but it just didn’t “feel” right on the trails. The only thing I really liked was the lack of maintenance, although it still used to get really clogged up.

Gone back to 1X9 now instead…..

porter_jamie

i have one in an io which i used to use for commuting so i stuck some rebas in and some knobblies and took it for a lap around epping – i just couldn’t get over weight at the rear end, makes hopping the back end about and stuff a bit awkward. i expect i would get used to it, but i much prefered my 456 with the same forks and running gear. i think i’m going to make the io a single speed, and maybe sell the alfine.

andyv
    Free Member

I use an Alfine 8 on a fully rigid Trek Sawyer 29er as my ‘winter bike’, it gets the full local trails treatment through all sorts of crap conditions and keeps rolling. It does a few jumps off logs and stumps etc but nothing bike-park like and you’ll not be throwing in any whips! The back end does feel heavy because it is (particulaly on my steel framed monster!). The feel of the bike is of the get anywhere but not in a particilaty sprightly way variety.

It has been very good reliability wise and the gears get me up everything I’ve pointed it at. I’ve given the Alfine an oil bath to keep it running sweet.

I do like it, but on sunny days invariably choose a more fun bike to ride. Remember to carry a rear wheel spanner in your pack as it’s a right pain readying a new tube to fit and staring blankly at the rear wheel nuts :-/

Andy

888trojan888
    Free Member

Yep thrash mine round the Pennines – down rocky descents, through mud, grit and anything else the good old british weather throws at it.

I took the no maintence aspect to the extreme and wrecked my first one in 18 months but im on hub number 2 now and with a 6 monthly grease bath it runs tickty boo. Its my go to bike in the winter and gets washed once a month (although then chain does get a balst through the cleaner).

Im running the Genesis IOID for info. Great for low maintence but a bit more of a faff if you get a puncture on the trail.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Used my Alfine 8 extensively off road for the last 3 years
    have replaced sprocket/chain, not much else required 🙂

As above – not really used in bike parks or downhills but done plenty of XC

nuke

it just didn’t “feel” right on the trails. The only thing I really liked was the lack of maintenance

i just couldn’t get over weight at the rear end, makes hopping the back end about and stuff a bit awkward. i expect i would get used to it, but i much prefered my 456 with the same forks and running gear

These quotes sum up my experience of the Alfine…still got one and still use it but it’ll be on XC rides in the winter months

thepodge
    Free Member

Running one on a trance for well over 2 years now & service it once a year for £20

I can do everything I used to with a 3×9 setup without any issues

Only time I notice the weight is when I lift it into the car

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 – Anyone properly hammering one of these off road??’ is closed to new replies.