Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia
  • Nobby

Wow, what’s that? What a difference. Dripping in Alfa heritage and style; distinctive; “light” looking. I’d certainly pay for one of those.

I think that was one of the original ‘concepts’ for the Giulia back in 2008/9 – one of several that couldn’t be built because of changes to regulations around the front end of cars re pedestrian safety & other issues.

All manufacturers suffer the same but IMHO Jag & Alfa are the two that have dealt with them the best.

I actually like it & think that the way it has polarised opinion for many shows it’s not another meh product from Germany. If it drives as well as it should (on paper) then it will be a serious contender.

Alfa also stated at the launch yesterday that there will soon be another 7 models released globally which could be interesting. I hope they do a coupe version (a 6C?) of the Giulia which would give them a bit more room to be creative.

Anything that makes that noise can’t be all bad….. 🙂

Kryton57

If it drives as well as it should (on paper) then it will be a serious contender.

I missed the launch and haven’t googled for the detail – is it still using a Maserati chassis?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

actually like it & think that the way it has polarised opinion for many shows it’s not another meh product from Germany. If it drives as well as it should (on paper) then it will be a serious contender

I think its polarised opinion BECAUSE it looks like another meh product from Germany. 😕

People want /expect wow factor with an alfa (and handling / engines that live up to the brand heritage)

This doesnt have “wow” looks, IMO, the bi-turbo V6 may provide it in abundance though 🙂

Kryton57

brand heritage

So we are agreeing now this exists? 😀

toby1

It still has nowhere central to mount a number plate, symmetry is totally ruined by an off centre plate, I can’t get past that!

dragon
    Free Member

It still has nowhere central to mount a number plate, symmetry is totally ruined by an off centre plate, I can’t get past that!

Oddly was discussing exactly this recently with a friend who is really into cars and won’t buy an Alfa for that reason.

verses

Nothing stopping you sticking a number plate on each side if you want symmetry 🙂

Although, unless your current car has letters and numbers that mirror then the number plate won’t be symmetrical anyway. Not to mention windscreen wipers resting to one side rather than the other.

M6TTF
    Free Member

so pretty

toby1

Although, unless your current car has letters and numbers that mirror then the number plate won’t be symmetrical anyway. Not to mention windscreen wipers resting to one side rather than the other.

Fair points 😉 although palindrome plates is a market no one has ventured into!

But yeah, I think it’s probably more something I expect to see (the central plate even without the symmetrical lettering) so when I don’t it just feels ‘off’.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I think its polarised opinion BECAUSE it looks like another meh product from Germany.

People want /expect wow factor with an alfa (and handling / engines that live up to the brand heritage).

I think the problem is that to be an economical success in the market at the moment they’ve got to produce a car that will appeal to the masses and is more inline with what the big German manufacturers are doing. This unfortunately is never going to be the car that people who have loved Alfa over the years are looking for.

As for the front plate positioning, they’re utterly hideous things where ever they end up… the passenger footwell is my favoured position.

It is a nice nod to some of their earlier work though from when front plates were an afterthought …

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The only thing wrong with the side mounted number plate is when entering a pre-paid car park where they scan your plate, like at gatwick airport.

You always have to go to the payment office on the way out as it has not scanned a couple of the digits – even if you drive as close to one side of the entrance as you can 🙁

Otherwise it is where it should be.

RustySpanner

Ew.

Those ‘twisted’ sills are awful
    As are the TR7 side swages.
    Looks like someone gave Lexus a crashed 75 Cloverleaf and said ‘modernise this’.

Individuality is important to Alfa buyers, but an anathema to fleet managers.
    Ugly seems to be in amongst private buyers though – can’t move for Jukes round here.

Nobby

I missed the launch and haven’t googled for the detail – is it still using a Maserati chassis?

A re-engineered version to take an exclusive suspension set up & rear diff/axle that means they’ve been able to forget some of the electronics that make other cars driveable. All that with an (alleged) perfect 50/50 front/rear weight distribution, getting the engine behind the front axle and some wizardry in the steering dept makes me think it still has a genuine Alfa soul.

To be fair, I think anything that makes a noise like that does is going to get my vote. 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve owned one of these, when they start doing pretty again I’ll buy another 8)

bigrich

Electrics on my 2004 GT aren’t great either – had an ‘episode’ that took out the cruise control

the cruise monitors the position of the pedals by switches on the brake and clutch pedal. when the pedal is not pressed the switches are engaged.

the springs on the switches on the pedals go a bit saggy so it thinks you are pressing something switching the cruise off. put a little magnet on the pedal arm to counter the slack so the contacts move again.

I got an extra 750 off mine because of that. fixed it with a fridge magnet.

stewartc
    Free Member

Loved my old 159 Sportswagon and if I was ever to buy a car again I would consider this, Italian style and German engineering, not a bad mix as the recent Lambo’s testify to.

Kryton57

To be fair, I think anything that makes a noise like that does is going to get my vote.

Thing is, perhaps the one you and I might buy won’t sound like that, it’ll be close to M3 money. But anyway, I’d have one on the basis its not (yet) commonplace, it’s an Alfa and it’s red, as long as mine has a leather interior with air con and nav, and a large boot for the bikes to go in.

Nobby

Speak for yourself – I’m doing the maths based on keeping my new one for 3 years & picking up a second hand QV. The dealers will, no doubt, be financially encouraged to put them on the road so there shouldn’t be a shortage…. If not, then I believe they will be putting the little 240bhp lump from the GQV/4C in one model & that sounds perky enough 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll be changing my 159 in the next 6 months so I wish they’d release some details on the models/prices and when they’ll be available. MrsD is trying to get me to go for a Mondeo 👿

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Alfa Romeo Giulia’ is closed to new replies.