Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alexrims Volar 2.5, 29er flavour…. an ok rim 29er rim, needs to be sturdy??
  • Poopscoop

Looking at some wheels with this rim, not a massive lot of info online.

Are they pretty sturdy? Mainly due to my 16 stone + weight! The 25mm inside is fine just want to check they are sturdy and that tubeless isnt a big issue with them.. Ie. right s*ds to get tyres on/ off etc.

Any info appreciated!

Poopscoop

Sorry to be impatient.

Anyone had any experience with these rims? 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

Im a hefty lump and have had Alex rims in the past and have never had any issues. Afaik Alex make the Nukeproof rims.

Poopscoop

Thanks mate that’s good to hear!

drovercycles
    Free Member

They’re decent low-cost rims. 80% as good as something much more expensive. Tubeless fine, reasonably robust.

Is it the Raleigh Probuild wheels you’re looking at? Bargain if so.

pickle
    Free Member

I’ve ran some on my old 26″ HT and they’ve been superb! mega cheap as well.

Poopscoop

Hiya mate, no, it’s a set laced to Pro 4 hubs.

Those Raleigh Pro builds look good value though!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have these rims, 29ers. No problems* and I was clocking on 16st when last riding. Saying that I’m not typically hard on wheels, with me being more on the recce/navigator tip than tank or airstrike. I like em and they’ve tackled unexpected hardpack potholes with aplomb. At speed. Whack! Eh? Oh! Fine 🙂

*Did manage to put a good buckle in the rear by a rogue pannier entering the spokes carrying a 3kg hardened-steel motorcycle lock :-/ My mistake and tbh I expected worse. The rim pulled back true (thanks to good wheelsmith) and no probs since.

Poopscoop

Thanks Malvern!

Sounding better and better!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Poopscoop I’ve got them on the Chosen hubs (Raleigh) and they’ve been brilliant. 29er flavour.

chestrockwell

I have them on my Orange. No worries at all in general and when I had a look in to it they turned out to be hardly any heavier that the Stans/Hope equivalent. Fancy moving to Hope Enduro but struggling to justify it ATM.

Saying that, I’m in the process of going tubeless and when matched to Maxxis tyres it’s not an easy job. No chance with a track pump, unlike my old Mavic/Specialized combo.

jameso

Alex are a good rim manufacturer. A lot of branded rimes are made by them.

Kryton57

I’ve got them on the Chosen hubs (Raleigh) and they’ve been brilliant. 29er flavour.

Me too, I’ve ridden them one hard at Peaslake 😆 and they were fine. I bought my front for £50 in the Merlin, seems a bargain.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Got Volars on my 29er and they’ve taken a beating and lasted well. Rear got trashed in the end but that was due to some serious abuse.

I’ve recently been looking at them in 650b flavour for something more sturdy than the XM319s on my Boardman.

a11y

Got Volars on my Genesis 29er HT laced to Deore hubs. No complaints. And I found no issues setting up either my Specialized or Maxxis tyres tubelessly on them. But I also like the WTB ST i25 29er rims on another bike and find them solid so far.

A cheeky alternative: pair of Stans Flow EX 29er rims for £75 https://www.merlincycles.com/stans-notubes-flow-ex-rims-29-pair-98241.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Wheel+Spares&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8orFBRCEpODivaOft_EBEiQAy3mlfZiaJJn6GP03gw0JFR9i2SjsHjkSW87_bUFTAL3vJWUaAjpP8P8HAQ (have they replaced them recently as that seems cheap).

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Just gone tubeless with the volars this afternoon. Mated with a Spesh 2bliss Butcher using 25mm gorilla tape. Went on a dream. I doubt I even needed my pop bottle compressor!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alexrims Volar 2.5, 29er flavour…. an ok rim 29er rim, needs to be sturdy??’ is closed to new replies.