Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • airless/ solid rubber tyres
  • kimbers

anyone tried these

am thinking for my commuter as punctures distress me

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/26inch.html

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Forget it – they’ll wear such that the section of the tyre squares which makes cornering more and more interesting.

Schwalbe Marathon+ or Durano+ for-the-puncture-proof-win.

Garry_Lager

Good for wheelbarrows.

So if you commute on a wheelbarrow, get stuck in. Otherwise, avoid (obviously).

jamesy01
    Free Member

Forget it – they’ll wear such that the section of the tyre squares which makes cornering more and more interesting.

Will they not wear when cornering as well (possible more when cornering due to scrubbing accross the tarmac), therefore retaining a rounded profile!

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

They won’t get a chance to wear as you’ll use them for approx. 100m before realising that they’re uncomfortable (their words: “Greentyres do feel a little different”) and, as they don’t deform as you’re used to, will give a distinct lack of grip in cornering…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Will they not wear when cornering as well (possible more when cornering due to scrubbing accross the tarmac), therefore retaining a rounded profile!

Not in my experience!!!! Just trundling along the road you spend almost all the time upright, so this is where the wear occured. They hot only wore, but chunked quite badly. This was a few years ago, but the cost, faff, (lack of) performance and weight put me off quite quickly. As I said above, if you can get a Marathon+S for ~£25, why bother??

RealMan
    Free Member

There’s no inner tube, only millions of tiny air cells that give Greentyres a comfortable and puncture free ride.

😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used some tiny skinny ones for a while. Okish but thats it. No punctures was good, the grip was OK, the ride a bit “dead”

Use a conti with the puncture protection – it really works and if you do get a puncture you get a new tyre and innertube for free

Northwind

I remember these from the 90s, a mate had a set, they were amazing- never punctured but did come off the rims quite frequently causing him to have a serious of enormous comedy crashes. Top value.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I had some on my road commuter in 1994. I hope they’ve improved coz they were rubbish, basically broke up/bits came off them. Was less hassle sorting out the occasional puncture TBH.

chiefgrooveguru

I think I saw these on Tomorrow’s World. I also saw a hair cutting attachment for a vacuum cleaner on there…

maxray
    Free Member

Use a conti with the puncture protection – it really works and if you do get a puncture you get a new tyre and innertube for free

Ah now there’s a good marketing gimmick! 🙂

Seriously tho contis are good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘airless/ solid rubber tyres’ is closed to new replies.