Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ah ne using mini V brakes on a cross bike?
  • Wookster

Thoughts and experience please?

clubber
    Free Member

go the whole hog and use proper vees with travel agents. excellent braking with plenty of mud clearance.

MrSparkle

Yes, I use mini vees on my crosser. When I got it it has normal vees with travel agents on it but I found them a bit of a mud trap and wasn’t really convinced by them.I swapped to mini vees mainly for aesthetic reasons if I am being completely honest but I don’t think I have suffered any great loss in performance.
    I’ve completed the 3 Peaks cyclocross race with the brakes like this and lived so they ain’t too bad!

cp

Tektro mini vees here. They work better than any canti I’ve tried, and aren’t bad for mud clearance. My cx bike is also my winter road bike so I like my brakes to work rather than just to scrub off speed round a park!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had some. Better than canti brakes. Greater leverage so they need to set close to the rim and will have a more spongy feel but will slow the wheel for a lot less hand effort. Simple mechanical advantage really.

Wookster

Thanks all. What’s the mud Clearence like? I am blessed with slop where I normally ride (god bless my hoofed trail using friends) so a bit concerned over the Clearence. Currently use disc’s so not an issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’ve already got discs, stick with them I’d say. Never had trouble with mud clearance but when It’s really stinky, I use the mountain bike.

cp

Stick with discs in that case. Why are you thinking of changing?

CaptJon
    Free Member

i’ve got them on my road bike, love them

Wookster

It’s a wheel set issue, thinking of using it as a winter bike and or second race bike (cat 4 so no need for carbon flashiness!) so canti’ or V’s would allow both uses. The disc wheels are nice so a second set would be a added cost about twice the price of a rim braked set.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

A well set up set of mini v’s will easily match cable discs in mud or dry for stopping power. and then its uci legal for road racing as well

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

I used them. Pros and cons: Worked well, great stopping power, no fork judder as no cable from stem. Not so good for claggy cross races, they clog up and as they wear the levers get closer to bars quicker than cantis as result of cable pull differences, just tolerable for something long like the Peaks. The pads run nearer the rims so if a wheel knocks off true it’s more bother, wheel changes can be a pain without campag levers (release button).
    I sold mine, my problem is more the going than the stopping 🙄

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ah ne using mini V brakes on a cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.