Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Aggressive HardTail Decision, Commencal Meta HT SX vs Vitus Sentier 275VR
  • rockohardpack
    Free Member

Im looking for XC Bike. I recently sold my giant reign, which wasnt all that great for long day rides, for a full suspension Commencal Meta SX frame. My new commie is in the process of being build up, but im starting to realize its going to be a worse climber than my previous reign. Not at all bothersome, its also much more aggressive, So now I need something that can climb and spend all day out.

I really like Chain Reactions selection of aggressive HTs. I dont know If I like the idea of having two pink bikes (big bro and lil bro commencal meta sx), but the HT version looks like a heck of a lot of fun. However the Vitus is a proven winner, and the 27.5 wheel thing really has me drooling. MBUK mag said its a very fun bike as well…And last but not least is the NS Clash. Its seat tube is short, which means it will be worse on climbs, but all the more flickable and playful on the way down. Just at 6’2″, i think the 17″ seat tube of the NS, compared to the 19″ seat tube of the Commie and Vitus, is still a lil short for me.

What do you guys think? Commencal Meta SX HT vs Vitus Sentier 275 VR vs NS Clash

speedstar

Buy my 20″ 456 evo titanium frame instead! £450 and it’s yours. Just over 2 months old and it gives you the option of 140-160mm front fork and a supple, light climbing frame..

rockohardpack
    Free Member

I live in the USA, and i dont buy used bikes anymore… Sounds like a nice bike though.

However, please help me decide between these three.

danielgrafik
    Free Member

Few things to consider: The Commencals have REALLY low BB’s and seem to run a bit short/small… I’d have the Meta.

speedstar

Ah no probs. In that case, if i’m being completely honest I would just use the AM for all-day adventures. The reason why is a full-sus is actually less tiring for moving long distances on terrain due to reducing the shock on your body through the frame. Unless it’s just landrover tracks you’re going to be on for these adventures? I’m just using my new meta 55 for just the same adventures.

speedstar

Sorry I meant SX

Euro
    Free Member

If that’s your 3 then the Vitus is the most XC and the frame looks like it’ll size up to a large and still be low enough to throw about. If you’re ride remotely hard on it it wont like it much though. It’s cheap and light (ish) and you aren’t paying for strong so expect some parts to suffer. If you ride light then it’s the obvious choice. The NS looks like a 4X bike you could pedal a bit and the SX looks like a jump bike you could pedal a bit. If you don’t mind the weight (i don’t), i’d go for the SX as at least it’ll fit you better and looks like a fun ride.

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Ya I want something I can jump around on, like more often than not.. So I guess once again the Commencal frame comes out on top.

What size Meta SX HT would you guys go for? I want an XC/Freeride/Urban Assault bike (with some slicks). Something I dont mind cranking out 20 miles or more on though. XL is 20.5 inch seat tube, 24.6 top tube. Large is 19.25 Seat tube, 23.8 Top tube.

Im 6’2, 33″ inseam, balanced leg/torso/arm comparison.

Bikes I have ridden and sizes:
    Giant Reign 2 XL;25″ top tube 21″ seat, Too big for freeride, good for climbing

Giant Glory 2 Large;25″Top tube ?seat tube, super stable and fast and actually could pedal, but long for jumping

Scott Voltage FR 20 Long; 23″ top tube, 15″ seat tube. Tiny Bike, although not TOO cramped. Awesome for jumping, awesome for playing around, very fun, just bad for pedalling.

HansRey

I do not know this ‘Urban Assault’, but i like it.

I think the Vitus is probably the most suitable. But, i think that if you looked beyond those 3 bikes listed earlier, you’d be able to find something more appropriate.

What about an Orange Crush?

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Cant Get orange. im in the usa, so my UK product selection is limited to Chain Reaction.

Why would you think the Vitus is better than the Commencal. Surely the Commencal has a better frame and fork, its just the vitus has better brakes and derailleur… I can upgrade the brakes, and I like the 1x drivtrain on the Commi.

Urban assualt means throwin’ some slicks on a mtb, crushin sidewalks and stairsets, women and children heed warning. Lol kidding about the last part, but just like ripping around the city. I spend a month in San Francisco every year and its nice to rip around the back streets and just “freeride” in the city. The slack angles nowadays actually really help in the city too. I used to use my reign, but didnt need the rear suspension, however did need faster pedaling.

I ordered the Commencal HT SX in Large, figuring its not too small for XC, and its a good size for jumping. I bet the XL would have been good for pedaling, but a boat everywhere else. Im not into that, im not a geezer yet…

tomaso
    Free Member

Have a look at the On One Parkwood for something a bit different. They sell them over there through Titus I think.

HansRey

Seems that Orange haven’t got a North American dealer anymore, according to their website. Shame.

What about a santa cruz chameleon..

Brodie Holeshot (the Ti version is lovely)

Transition Trans AM

rockohardpack
    Free Member

I looked at the Transition Trans AM, I just didnt have that kind of cash to drop. I had a budget of 1250$ USD, so it was really between the Commencal and the Vitus. The vitus really impressed me, but in the end it just looked too normal of a bike. The Commencal has such nice lines and the Pink Color is so much better in person ( i have the full sus meta SX in pink).

Im just afraid on sizing, as usual. Im 6’2, 33″ inseam. I already ordered the Commencal Meta SX HT, in a Large. I know it will be good for jumping around and playing. But will it be long enough for XC? Im sure I could just have a 80mm stem for backup when I want to do long, all day rides. The 24″ top tube on the large seems spot on for do it all, i just better be able to breath on climbs.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/357953/

winch
    Free Member

I’m also 6’2″ with a 33 inch inseam. My bike has a 23.75″ top tube and an 18 inch seat tube. My post is pretty long for climbing but I regularly crank out long rides and and use the bike for all the types of riding you describe. HTH. The meta looks great. My Alpine:

HansRey

also, how about a Cotic BFE? Very adaptable bike. They’re now shipping direct to the US.

Good for 120mm to 160mm fork. Very tough.
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/international/
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe

rockohardpack
    Free Member

Thanks winch, we are about the same size with a similar size HT. Thanks for reassuring that long XC rides will be fine.

br
    Free Member

Can anyone who understands whatever ‘rockohardpack’ is saying please translate his posts into English for me 🙂

rockohardpack
    Free Member

First ride today, the Meta HT SX is awesome. Glad I went with the Large instead of the XL.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I was sorely tempted by one of those commencals a little while ago, but got a bfe instead. They look like damn fine bikes. Enjoy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive HardTail Decision, Commencal Meta HT SX vs Vitus Sentier 275VR’ is closed to new replies.