• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice wanted: New kids bike – what do I get my 10 yr old? Merlin trials frame?
  • stevemorg2

My lad hasn't got much room to grow in his Islabike Beinn. Its been a superb bike but we've just got back from the alps and I think he'll need something other than the 26inch version – I'd like a sus fork and discs for him – the isla bikes are rigid and V brake.

I'm trying to avoid the usual budget bikes and thinking about putting together a bike based around a Merlin trials frame – then a mix of new and s/h bits to build up something pretty good.

Has anyone built up a bike for their kid(s) using one of the Merlin frames?

ji
    Free Member

Isla now do a hardtail with front suspension. Seen it in the flash and it looks ace. http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/creig26.html

CHB

14" on one inbred.
    Built my son one when he was 9. He is now 11 and loves it.
    link:
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=940

top of page.

Solo
    Free Member

I happen to have this:

Which I was thinking of selling. Its "mint", hardly used.

Solo.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I bumped into a fella on Holmbury Hill a couple of years back that had built up one of those Merlin frames with 24 inch wheels, rebas (I never even knew you could get little rebas) and some other nice kit for his 11 year old. Looked really good. His theory was that the kid would ride it off road until he outgrows it and then could use it as a jump bike.

He was giving his son a quid each time he rode something scary.

stevemorg2

I saw the Creig but I think I could build something up for a bit less

wombat

Solo,

What size frame is it and how much were you looking for?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I built a bike for my daughter (cough) using an Azonic jump frame, the problem is the seat angle is very steep, so it doesn't alter the TT length as much as you want as they grow.
    HTH.

CHB

solo…would be interested in the fsr for my daughter.£?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice wanted: New kids bike – what do I get my 10 yr old? Merlin trials frame?’ is closed to new replies.