Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Advice on company car tracker/restrictor work and private use.
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Just recently revived a new work bus. I pay for private use in my own time but is also my work tool. Has a speed limiter (60mph) and not known if it has a tracker.

Now i understand in work time the limiter and tracker however… when i use in my own personal time weekends and night is it legal for it still to be limited and tracked when in my own paid private use??

Do they have to tell me its tracked ? And can i apply to get limiter removed as on the motorway i feel its dangerous as overtaking and merging is well… a event…

trail_rat
    Free Member

I guess the answer lies in regardless of if you pay to hire it in your own time…..is it still comapny property,

Ive never liked company cars for these reasons.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Surely it comes under the umbrella as “private use” and i pay for the right to use in my own time and towards the cost of the car? Its confusing.

I have nowt to hide as if anything im one of the more laid back employees that dont bugger off home early id just like to know thats all

trail_rat
    Free Member

But its still company property and they can stipulate as they like. How ever you should be able to find out if its tracked or not- our pool vehicles had it on the dash to remind you you were being trcked.

garage-dweller

It’s still their asset so I’d guess it’s up to them.

What vehicle is it? Is it a van or a car? If it’s a car that’s a bit rough but it’s still their asset you are just “renting” it in your personal time. If it’s over 3.5t then I think it’s a legal requirement for a limiter.

I know it’s going to sound trite but lots of commercial vehicles are limited to 60 mph or less so I don’t think you’ll get out of having it on the grounds of can’t overtake or merge on the motorway.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Its a new transit connect. Just a ballace as i travel to the lakes scotland rochdale liverpool etc regular all in a day so the 60mph adds time onto my day contract states 8-4 mon- friday and any time before or after starts is paid at a enhanced rate so in effect i have to set off earlier and arrive home later… ad i said not fussed but just a chore especially when some sod doing 55mph on mway go to overtake and they speed up…. mental.

garage-dweller

Hoover up the overtime and spend on beer/bike bits I think. 😀

bruneep

Is the speed limit for a connect not 60mph?

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/advice_centre/casualty_reduction_partnership/speed/know_your_speed_limits.aspx

What is a “car derived van”?
    Under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, a “car derived van” is defined as:- “A goods vehicle which is constructed or adapted as a derivative of a passenger vehicle and which has a maximum laden weight not exceeding 2 tonnes.”
    The important word in this definition is “and” as there are goods vehicles that look as if they are based on a passenger vehicle, but when the manufacturer puts a gross laden weight on the goods vehicle, which is the design weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load that it is designed to carry, and this exceeds 2 tonnes, that vehicle is no longer a car derived van. The van becomes an ordinary goods vehicle under 7.5 tonnes gross weight, and is therefore subject to the speed limits as shown in the Highway Code.
    As a “rule of thumb” any van larger than a Vauxhall Astra van will have a gross weight in excess of 2 tonnes and is therefore subject to the reduced “class of vehicle” speed limits. Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes Vito, Peugeot Expert and Ford Connect, for example, are restricted vans.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Its not 60mph on a motorway…its 50 on a dual cw for vans connect inc car derived are corsa van and fiesta van. A car converted which are exempt.

Last work van a transit custom 65plate was not restricted??? Insurence is cheaper with a tracker apparently.. clearly they havent taken into effect my “enhanced” rate on my contract…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its 70on a motorway for a connect

60on. A dcw – but in englandshire thats not so much an issue.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

It was a “group” choice as the restricted connect was tested in other areas… which all have a 40mile radius.. my work area covers 200mile .. filled up yesterday.. 50l tank i can see them changing my van soon

singletrackmind

Its the law to inform your employees that they are in a tracked vehicle.
    There are implications about the vehice beeing tracked outside of working hours. Something like you can look to see where its been and how fast etc but do nothing with that information re disciplinary hearings

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And can i apply to get limiter removed as on the motorway i feel its dangerous as overtaking and merging is well… a event…

Hmm you should probably not use that line or you will be off for some more driver training (maybe a good thing)

The extra time
    200 Miles at 70 MPH = 2hr 51
    200 Miles at 60 MPH = 3hr 20

From my last trip back keeping up near 70 on some bits of the motorway meant travelling when it was very quiet!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Isn’t the tracker for tax purposes as well. The brick laying company we use had all its vehicles tracked to appease the tax man as the lads use them to commute to and from home in. If they then use them for other duties them it’s considered as a perk and have to pay tax on them.

dannybgoode

Re the restrictor-again it’s their vehicle and the can restrict it how they want.

When I was doing wagon and van driving every vehicle I drove regardless of class was restricted to 60 as it seemed to be group policy at any firm with any kind of fleet.

Yes chuntering along at 60 in a poxy small van is excruciating but not much I could do about it.

Wouldn’t fancy have it for personal use though…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Their vehicle, they can do what they want.

Buy your own vehicle for private use if you don’t like it

bikemike1968
    Free Member

All the vans in our company are restricted.
    I find it so stressful on the motorway that I now just trundle along behind a lorry instead.
    I’m clearly not alone, the company is moaning that the average drive time to jobs has increased a lot recently. The overtime bill must be going up nicely…

simmy
    Free Member

Why restrict a van to 60 mph ? Surely these days with technology in engines the fuel consumption between 60 mph and 70 mph can’t be too massive ?

Like has been said, they will pay more in overtime.

Having said that, a company I worked for didn’t care one bit about fuel used and how you drove as long as you got the deliveries done. On my route, the dual carriageway had its speed limit reduced from 60 to 50 mph so, as a result, I was taking about 10 mins longer to cover the entire stretch. They asked me and I explained and the answer was ” and ? ”

I left not long after not just because of that but that was the final nail in the coffin.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why restrict a van to 60 mph ? Surely these days with technology in engines the fuel consumption between 60 mph and 70 mph can’t be too massive ?
    Like has been said, they will pay more in overtime.

It stops work vans speeding and people getting caught out on dcw.
    Look at the calc above its 30mins over 200 miles if you can keep 70 all the way.

On my route, the dual carriageway had its speed limit reduced from 60 to 50 mph so, as a result, I was taking about 10 mins longer to cover the entire stretch. They asked me and I explained and the answer was ” and ? “

How long was the stretch?

Wookster

Depends on your tracker system. In my experience they still track and report on all the usage. I had one on my Co Car that even when the privacy switch was in it would highlight speeding, ( over 70mph’ harsh breaking, etc).

The view from the company was as it was being notified it had a duty of care to speak to the driver using its vehicles. The thinking was I’m involved in a crash, court sees my data indicating I speed a lot, they become liable for not acting.

We didn’t limit the speed on the vans as it would hit the resale value apparently!

simmy
    Free Member

Look at the calc above its 30mins over 200 miles if you can keep 70 all the way.
    On my route, the dual carriageway had its speed limit reduced from 60 to 50 mph so, as a result, I was taking about 10 mins longer to cover the entire stretch. They asked me and I explained and the answer was ” and ? “

How long was the stretch?

About 30 miles.

Makes sense with limiting them to 60 on dual carriageways.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Funkydunc… i already have my own van shared family car and the weekend track project.

Its part of my contract to have a expensed van for my job its a perk and i pay the extra tax for the private use but comes with free fuel its there so why not use it wish i could pay £33 per week all in for a fully insured and fueld brand new van myself..

I really cant see it lasting in this van to be honest.. they have alreday had to cancel 5 of my upcomming appointments due to the fact i cant take the matetials as the van is full as is with just my tools… plus they hate paying the enhanced rate il see how it pans out as i said i aint fussed i get paid and i enjoy my job.

Xylene
    Free Member

Just don’t drive around any known areas for streetwalkers at night time and you will be fine.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Advice on company car tracker/restrictor work and private use.’ is closed to new replies.