• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jiff.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Advice – commute road wheel
  • jiff
    Free Member

Folks,
    Your advice please:
    I’m going to start using my CX for commuting, but rather than keep changing tyres between CX events and daily commutes, I’ve decided to treat myself and buy a pair of wheels that I can keep for commuting. My question is, which ones do I go for ?
    Considerations are:
    – I have plenty of space for tyre clearance
    – I’ll be running Shimano 10 speed
    – rim brakes
    – regards strength, I’ll be using a small rear pannier
    – budget no more than £200
    Ive been looking at Mavic so would appreciate anyone’s experiences of similar use and/or recommendations please .
    Thanks,

mboy
    Free Member

Strength and durability will be the key here. No point in running 20H wheels with proprietary spoke for the commute with panniers!

Mavic Open Pro rims on 105/Ultegra hubs 32H all round would be my recommendation. Or possibly even look at a touring rim such as the A319’s or the like if you’re going to run wide tyres and/or are particularly heavy on kit.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Open sports on tiagra hubs cheap and pretty hard wearing for commuting or even rigida sputniks on chinese cartridge bearing hubs if your after wider tyres and bullet proof reliability and not worried about weight.

lunge

Go cheap. Shimano R501’s are under £100 and will do the job perfectly.

acsevens

Rose are doing Open Pro on tiagra for £101 a set. They are 36h so very solid, but light enough and ride really nicely.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Blatant plug here 😀
    I’ve got a set of open sports on tiagra hubs,36h, check my profile if interested. £90 delivered.

jiff
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Like the idea of the OpenPro, I’ve had these before and they were fine (sorry HL ….).
    Can always rely on STW to help me out !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Advice – commute road wheel’ is closed to new replies.