Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Admiral Multicar
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Worth doing? Works out about £50 a year cheaper for the two cars, but they were not exactly clear on the repercussions of multi-carring over two single policies. Any thoughts or experience?

richmars

That's funny, just signed up for it this morning. Saved about £150 over two cars. I couldn't see any downside, just the fact that if you change either car it could change the premium, plus it will be interesting to see the cost next year (maybe there's a big discount for the first year).

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Their claims process is pretty good as well. My missus had a prang just before christmas and it was all sorted out very easily.

tyke
    Free Member

They seem to be OK at sorting out a common renewal date for my 2 x single policies when I converted over to a multi-car deal. Also found their claims service (managed by a sister company) to be OK. However, as it ends up being 2 companies you deal with you need to be formal in they way you deal with them (don't just rely on phone conversations).

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I swapped to them last year when I got my "bike " car.
    Found them to be incredibly helpful, advised me to check cancellation cost with original company before doing anything,
    Then set up my 2 cars and gave me full NCD on BOTH as I started both policies at same time.

Like has been said I also saved money by moving to them , 1 car elsewhere I was quoted more than 2 cars with them.

I was slighlty concerned that renewal premium would have sky rocketed but in fact it was about the same

DaRC_L

+1 to the above

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well I looked into it and didn't see any large benefit for the risk of being tied to them for both cars so I've left it as 2 singles (my other half seems to get really good deals being female and on a low-risk safe car anyway). Was in a mad rush to get insured anyway as I left it too late to shop about more than compare the meerkat, but their renewal was better than everyone else anyway. When the missus comes up for renewal we'll probably switch to multicar with the good reviews here, cheers.

DickBarton

I use them, have done for the last 5 years and the last 2 have been multi-car – but previous 2 cars have been written off – one by black ice and the other entirely my fault (black ice could be argued it was entirely my fault but it's done and dusted) – both claims didn't appear to affect my no claims and as we had just moved to multicar when the second one was written off, I was giving a huge discount putting a '3rd' car on the policy – so luckily for me, I've not been hit with any higher premiums for our policy.

The policy works out about £150 cheaper for each car (although if I were to take a single policy out for my own car it would have cost me £800 – so I suspect that would be me getting higher premiums due to the 2 write offs).

The multicar policy does mean I've not got 2 years NCB but that doesn't really make much odds until renewal time and I seem to get lucky when it renews as I call them and give them the online price and they match it.

I'd recommend them – very good cover, seem to be very good prices and if you need them they are very good.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've got a 3rd car but I couldn't put it in with them as it's significantly modified. I don't quuite follow the complexity of the NCB you are suggesting DB – they told me it was effectively just 2 separate NCBs for the two separate drivers, but that if you did claim it would obviously affect both policies as I was named on both. Am I missing something?

I currently have 10 years NCB, protected, fully comp for £250 a year, they offered to drop it to 206 with multicar.

davidrussell
    Free Member

s'funny you should mention that DB….

my insurance is up for renewal and I talked to admiral. they had a record of an "incident" in my name back in 2008, and I had no idea what it was (and haven't declared it to my current insurers because I naively didn't think it was relevant). I said I had no recollection of any claim until it dawned on me that was when you tried to get intimate with the clio 😉

I said it was irrelevant because it was on lisa's policy but they stated that incidents stay with the policy if the policyholder is involved, otherwise they are on the driver. I said "well, it doesn't matter because it was a non-fault claim" but lo and behold the b**tards turn round and said to me "statistically if you have been involved in a claim or an incident you are more likely to claim again" I told them that was total b0ll0cks but it affects my premiums on the aggregator sites if i declare it now.

the worst bit is if I add the wife on my car my premium goes up significantly because she has the claim in 2008 (non fault) and another as of Christmas day this year because some stupid **** reversed out of his drive without looking.

I hate insurance companies and the soulless actuaries that work this crap out..

coffeeking
    Free Member

That's interesting, my non-fault accident (Someone head-on'd me in 2004, wrote off my car and left me and a passenger in physio for months) never affected any of my premiums – I always tried with it declared and without.

clubber
    Free Member

I think that the non-fault claims can be affected by whether they recovered all the costs or not (eg claimed off the other insurance company assuming there was one).

How did Admiral take on the second car if it didn't match the renewal date of the first? Last time I tried to do multicar, they wanted to sign the second car (that wasn't already with them) up on a deal that was a bit crap for the 6 months or so left on the Admiral policy and would only really benefit me once they were both in sync (eg 6 months time) so I couldn't see the point.

DickBarton

That can't be right…can it?

richmars

No, don't think so.
    I was quoted about £80 cheaper for my car, with a renewal date of 6th April. Wife's car due in August, which stays as it is till then, but with a quote that runs until April next year, then both in sync. Both the quote for wifes car from Aug 10 til April 11 and a years quote were mucher cheaper than existing policies.

Flaperon

It's quite useful for getting an extra year's NCD in the space of 3 months. Added my car to the policy when my own insurance expired, then when the multicar was renewed 3 month's later I found I'd gained an extra year's NCD.

plop_pants
    Free Member

After being quoted half that of competitors quotes for my son's first car (£1200 instead of ~£2400!!!) we were very happy with Admiral multi. He even gets 1 years noclaims after just 3 months when his renewal coincides with mine and the mrs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Admiral Multicar’ is closed to new replies.