Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Added caramel in whisky? Please, no!
  • globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just read a thread over on UK Climbing about whisky where it was mentioned that Scotch whisky dstillers or blenders are adding caramel. I’d have thought this normal in a bourbon but not a scotch, surely? Tell me it’s not true.

kcal

the 1980s want their thread back…

Seriously, this was all the rage (or folk were all up in arms about it) in the 80s, not sure it’s still common practice although it is permitted additive I believe (@teacake ?)

I’m not sure how prevalent it is these days with the plethora of single malts which wasn’t really the case in the early 80s. That – and other independent bottlers) have celebrated diversity and possibly educated drinkers such that they don’t pass on a dram because it doesn’t look the right colour (or are attracted to a dram because it’s darker and therefor must be easier and older).

So, true but possibly not as much as was the case 20-30 years ago.

Cougar

Teacup, storm. If you can tell the difference (without looking at it) between a dram with added caramel for colour and the same dram without, I’ll give you my bike.

Cougar

And, if you’re really that bothered, it’s trivial to test a bottle.

maccruiskeen

Lots of instances where its added. ‘Spirit Caramel’ is almost black, so only tiny amounts are added to vary or adjust the tint of whisky – either to maintain the similarity of appearance of a particular brand (as they’re always sold in clear bottles so to colour is part of the brand’s presentation) or to differentiate between brands. Its so strong in colour and so little is added you’d never taste it.

Northwind

The reason people got so antsy about it wasn’t so much the colouring, but the reasoning… Supposedly malt producers were filtering the whisky and removing colour and flavour, in order to stop it going cloudy when Americans put ice in it. Then adding colouring and flavour to fix it.

True? No idea.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Chill filtering certainly alters the character of a whisky. It is designed to remove fatty acid esters which will create a haze at low temperatures. I think it’s to prevent shipments being returned after sitting on a cold dockside and looking ‘hazy’.

These esters are likely to create a different mouth feel, not sure what they taste like.

Matt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Added caramel in whisky? Please, no!’ is closed to new replies.