Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Active noise cancelling headphones – Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s, any others?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Considering a pair of these after the cups on my HD215s that have given me 10 years service are literally starting to fall apart. They’ve taken some heavy abuse (some parts held together with duct tape) so I’ve definitely got my money’s worth.

I’m plumping for Sennheisers again. Noise cancelling this time because a lot of stuff I do is in a busy office and I have to listen to videos and take calls frequently for work and for study. My budget is around £200. I can find the Momentums for around that price. I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I should consider?

Must be over ear because I have tiny ears, and microphone to use a phone with is a definite plus!

captmorgan
    Free Member

Bose Quiet Comfort are the gold standard, I had an original set that lasted 6-7 years and were still working when I sold them and replaced them with the current QC25’s. Run with out a battery in non noise canceling mode and has phone mic.

https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones/noise-cancelling-headphones/quietcomfort-25-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones-for-apple-devices/

also can be had around your budget with some googling.

botk
    Free Member

i have the bose quietcomfort 15 – by far the best ive used. sound quality is great, incredibly comfortable and great noise cancelling. i travel for work so doing flights regularly, these just block out most of the back ground noise so i can enjoy my music or movie. well worth the cash.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Interesting, have you tried any of the other manufacturers’ stuff out before the Bose? I ask because I’ve been disappointed by some other Bose products in the past (home cinema systems).

botk
    Free Member

didnt try others, bought based on lots of positive reviews and an in store test in a noisy shopping centre.

big_scot_nanny

I have had the sennheisers you mention, plus 2 pairs of noise cancelling Beats fellas (executive? Silver things, heavy, and also the newer ones that are black). (Also keep a pair of wired Momentum 1s at home – lovely sound!)

I love the sound of the Senns, but the Beats ones with their over engineered base did give a lot of tracks more depth and oomph that I really liked. Love having BT as well, no cables.

However, I recently bought the QC25s, as, when it comes down to it, the noise cancelling headphones were bought for noise cancelling, and for that the QC25s are just magnificent.

curto80
    Free Member

This is the place to go for all things headphones related – a search on here will probably lead you to a lot of info:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Just to warn though that Bose are commonly sneered at in the “audiophile” world so you might come across some brand snobbery on that one.

tonyg2003

I’ve got some Bose, Senns and some from Q acoustics. However my favourites are my pioneers. Very good sound quality, price and NR.

I hate not flying with NR headphones and hence I buy more when I forget my others!! Expenaive habit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve had some £100 Sony’s which were OK, and recently got some Bose QC25’s. Not cheap but the noise cancelling is excellent. Sound quality is very very good, not the best, but stil excellent. Bose warranty is good too. My dad bought some of the previous gen ones 2nd hand, and after a couple of years the padding started to wear and flake off leaving little black specs on his shoulders. He dropped an email to ask Bose how to repair them, and they offered him a brand new replacement set. Can’t argue with that. I guess the advantage of overpirced products is that if you do claim under warranty they’re more likely to just replace rather than faff about trying to fix or fob you off.

Bose seem to get a slating, not sure why – just seems to be a brand people love to hate. They are pricy – actually over priced, but it is fundamentaly good gear.

Sundayjumper

I have some QC15s too, I’ve had a few trips to Australia and worn them for 10 hours straight with no discomfort at all. Sound is fine, ignore the audio geeks who get over excited about such things, they’re missing the point. The noise cancelling is the important thing and they’re very very good at that.

gkeeffe

I have PSB M4U 2 — which have brilliant sound – but the noise cancelling is lower than bose. Worth a test, I prefer them as I’m big into music.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I find the older Bose QC15’s nice but sound isn’t that great. Newer Bose headphones sort of put a pressure on your ears somehow? like there’s positive pressure inside somehow due to their noise cancelling. very unnatural.

I’ve got the Momentum 2’s here, they sound amazing, noise cancelling isn’t as good as the Bose QC15’s I have too but its way more than adequate on a plane, maybe giving 90% of what the Bose 15’s achieve regarding noise cancelling?. They’re really comfortable as well. Went to Goa at Christmas, splendid all the way, just been to Portugal and back and used them on that journey too. Won’t travel without them.

they are beautifully made as well. Not as placticy as my Bose QC15’s

John Lewis usually has them out so you can have a listen. Blue tooth is great too.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thanks all.

@coolhandluke I’m guessing it’s the Momentum Wireless you’re talking about? Just checking to understand if there are any non-wireless noise cancelling versions of the Momentum 2.0. John Lewis have multiple versions of them, but I can’t find any on the Sennheiser website in the noise cancelling section.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Active noise cancelling headphones – Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s, any others?’ is closed to new replies.