Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Acceptable use of the word Stoked
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seeing as it’s been overused over the last few years I think this one justifies it 🙂
    Teen with cancer ‘stoked’ to be surfing with Mick Fanning

The dream surfing session was one of about 130 wishes the Starlight Children’s Foundation is planning to grant this Christmas.

Some good people out there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stoked doesn’t really convey the feeling but hey it’s the closest word for that scenario.

Dude 😆

scuttler

Nearly as stoked as a charcoal BBQ with Rachel Atherton on the centre spot of Britannia Stadium.

loddrik
    Free Member

Stoked should only be used when referring to a recently disturbed coal powered heat source. Never ever for anything else.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Stoke me a Clipper. I’ll be back for Christmas?

kimbers

still not acceptable imho

it can only be used when this guys wife asks him what he did at work today….

fasthaggis

Stoked City 1 – Chelsea 0

P-Jay
    Free Member

As a fat man of 38, there is not an acceptable way for me to use it that doesn’t involve a fire or the like.

jimjam
    Free Member

If your intention is to piss off a bunch of middle aged, middle class, middle management, STEM working, Audi driving weekend warriors then it’s a perfectly acceptable use of the word stoked.

jabbi
    Free Member

Loddrik and Kimbers +1000000

mattsccm
    Free Member

It was wrong when surfers used it 50 years ago. Being adapted by a bunch of kids, or more to the point and bunch of people who want to be cool trendy alternative kids, doesn’t make it any more acceptable.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What Loddrik & Kimbers said, end of!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Only if your running in slow motion while wearing red speedos

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

etc.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Awesome has lost it’s meaning along with stoked, dialled and rad. None of this stuff is rad, it’s all been done before. That jump isn’t awesome, no dials were twiddled during the last downhill run and, indeed, nobody topped up a hot burning furnace with fuel in the bike park today. Bloody stupid.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“That was quite acceptable Jasper!”

“Quite!”

Is this how it should be?

ferrals
    Free Member

I can’t see the problem with the word ‘stoked’ being used as a description of exuberance initiated by participation in an exhilarating outdoors activity. The English language changes and old words get additional meanings. Whats the problem? I’m not sure we have another word that more succinctly or better describes being ‘stoked’ than ‘stoked.’
    The only problem I see is jealous people who spend too much time behind keyboards and not enough time getting ‘stoked’!
    Dude. 😆 8)

Northwind

Use of stoked as “excited/stirred up” dates back almost 200 years, it’s not new at all.

glasgowdan – Member

None of this stuff is rad, it’s all been done before.

That doesn’t stop something being radical. In fact, radical means basically “to the roots” so something that’s been done many many times before in a sport probably is radical.

Awesome is a perfectly cromulent sports term. Watching your incompetent mate case that tiny double can be awesome. It’s misused a bit because something has to be scary to be awesome.

Gnarly’s another good one, people generally think of it from twisted/knotted wood but it also traditionally means rugged, which means it makes total sense in mountain biking parlance. Gnarly trail dude. Which incidentally means, traditionally, a well and brightly dressed chap- ideal for flouro enduro

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its time for Bodacious to make a return!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

only acceptable usage is when describing a recent weekend visiting the potteries.

I have
    I’ve been
    I am now
    stoked.

convert

‘Stoked’ as a phrase has heritage in surf culture. It would sound knobbish coming out of my 40 something mouth whilst suited and booted but I have no issue with young folk (or old folk) who look like they might actually surf using it. Laird Hamilton has more cool in his little finger than any of us have in our whole bodies and if he chooses to be ‘stoked’, who are we to argue. If others involved in similar outdoor ‘sports’ want to be be ‘stoked’ too, then why not.

I’d be more concerned about my being concerned in the phraseology of others.

Northwind

joshvegas – Member

Leonardo: Awesome!
    Michaelangelo: Righteous!
    Donatello: Bossa Nova!
    Michaelangelo: Dude, “Bossa Nova”?
    Donatello: Chevy Nova?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Plenty googling going on before these replies!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There has been, which keyboard warrior wants to go and tell the kid he’s wrong 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STATION!

Northwind

convert – Member

‘Stoked’ as a phrase has heritage in surf culture. It would sound knobbish coming out of my 40 something mouth whilst suited and booted

It sounded fine coming out of my grandad’s mouth- I think he picked it up in the RAF.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

What about in conjunction with pumped and smashed it followed by many high fives sick bro or brah or dog or dude booooommmm.

integerspin
    Free Member

I didn’t look at the mantelpiece when I stoked the fire.

molgrips
    Free Member

The metaphor police need to provide a list of which are acceptable and which are not.

Trimix
    Free Member

The issue for me with words like ‘stoked’ being used is that it implies the user is incapable of using language properly in the first place.

An intelligent person would find there are already lots of suitable words and not need to make up new ones.

New words are fine for new things, but being excited about something doesn’t require a new word. Just proper use of the existing ones.

jimjam
    Free Member

Trimix – Member

The issue for me with words like ‘stoked’ being used is that it implies the user is incapable of using language properly in the first place.

New words are fine for new things, but being excited about something doesn’t require a new word. Just proper use of the existing ones.

So at what point exactly should we have stopped language evolving?

An intelligent person

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone should have told John Milton this since he invented more words than most people.

You should have a think about how incredibly mind-numbingly conservative and anti-creative that makes you sound. Is anti-creative a word? Do I care?

“Issue” means something coming out of something else. Or at least it did, until its meaning evolved to mean a problem. I assume that particular evolution is okay* with you?

“In the first place” is also a figure of speech, since there’s no ‘place’ involved here is there?

* the word ‘okay’ is only about 70 years old or so, but is it okay to use?

Honestly, your argument is bollocks. Not literally, of course, this is metaphor again, so I’m assuming you’re against this too.

hels
    Free Member

I love this.

It is a very old Kiwi-ism, I am not sure when it became popular with LA surfer dudes, probably just coincidence.

For example my grandmother was pretty stoked when World War II ended.

Makes me laugh every time I hear it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

your arguments are bollocks.

Bollocks….. ‘s plural innit? 😉

antigee

but being excited about something doesn’t require a new word. Just proper use of the existing ones.

full circle … exactly what the young man did in the OP just maybe not the word any one a bit older would choose

and second great thing for Mick Fanning to do

antigee

Bollocks….. ‘s plural innit?

only the Green Grocer has bollocks like that, as you well know 😉

cheers_drive

Since the Olympics the use of the word smashed when winning something has become annoying. Particularly when no record has been beaten.

Trimix
    Free Member

Nope – despite all your well thought out arguments, I’m old and still don’t like new words being made up and used with enthusiasm 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trimix
    I’m old and still don’t like

Summed up

ads678

STW grammar grandads in “I can’t keep up with the kids and i’m not stoked about it” shocker!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Acceptable use of the word Stoked’ is closed to new replies.