Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Abu Qatada cleared of terror charges
  • wwaswas

Two things;

1) all those years of Home Office manouvering, dodgy legal practices, appeals and specific international agreements must have cost us a fortune for, apparently, nothing.

2) Will he be allowed back now?

kimbers

Yeah but the sun probably sold lots of papers telling us how scary he was and that he claimed loads of benefits

ohnohesback
    Free Member

He’ll be fitted up for something else or flown directly to Gitmo, do not collect $200…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Haven’t seen the details but this is quite a surprise. Not too many here will be surprised to hear me say he should not be allowed back.

Drac

1) He’s had his trial and now can claim he is innocent with a court decision to back it up.

2) No.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

konabunny
    Free Member

it’s a good day for the British justice system that someone so loathed by the public, of vile character and despised by the government can get a fair trial and be acquitted.

wwaswas

it’s a good day for the British Jordanian justice system

ftfy

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Really surprised by this. I thought he’d have had a full on 100% fit up if they had no evidence. Good on them for giving him a fair trial but I hope they also give him residency.

jambalaya
    Free Member

give him residency.

He is a Jordanian citizen, he was given political asylum in the UK which was subsequently withdrawn

wwaswas

I think the problem they had was once they agreed not to use ‘evidence’ gained under torture there wasn’t much of a case against him.

It’s good to see that the European Court of Human Rights has actually made sure that at least one State will stop using torture as a way of gathering evidence for trials in future. It’s just a shame that the British Government needed to be told what the moral thing to do was before they’d do anything about it.

konabunny
    Free Member

it’s a good day for the British Jordanian justice system

ftfy

sorry, my comment made absolutely no sense. I was thinking that he wasn’t stitched up in the UK on any old bollocks but he was still sent off for trial in a place that seemed to have some sort of claim. I wasn’t thinking about it from the Jordanian end at all, I confess.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

1) See 2

2) No

mudshark
    Free Member

I think the problem they had was once they agreed not to use ‘evidence’ gained under torture there wasn’t much of a case against him.

Not sure why they bothered really – now they’re stuck with him.

pk13

Mail readers will be in a tizzy now. Wonder if he will try and get back to the UK via a lorry just to wind the lovely Mrs Theresa May up.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I would not say that he innocent just that the courts have not been able to prove his guilt without the evidence that many other countries have used to label him as the “Osama bin Laden’s right-hand man”.
    He is out of this country now and won’t be able to return. Regardless of cost in doing so he won’t have the influence here that he did so worth every penny.
    I’m sure he won’t enjoy his “freedom” in Jordan and no doubt some deals have been done behind his acquittal to denounce terrorism such as his message that beheadings carried out by ISIS are against Islam were he will remain a puppet of the state.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can he not be re-arrested for crimes against facial hair?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Trialed in his own country, found NG. I can see a sympathetic jury seeing this one through. Also he sat through Sharia Law court too, NG in that too by all accounts.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can he not be re-arrested for crimes against facial hair?

Is this the DLT thread?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Abu Qatada cleared of terror charges’ is closed to new replies.