Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • About as OT as it can get: vintage movie-making equipment.
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

When I moved into my house a previous occupant had left a shed-load of unwanted stuff in the attic, amongst which was somethingIdontknowthenamefor.

It’s basically the scrolling-roll and machinery used for filming the end credits to a movie.

Swiss-made, quite lovely (if you’re into that sort of thing) and housed in a purpose-built wooden case. Probably dates from 30s or so, Im guessing.

Is it worthless? Seems a shame to chuck out something so unusual, specific and precision-made. Any ideas where I can find out more about it?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Not my subject, would Lacock (Fox-Talbot Museum) either be interested or know someone who is?

wwaswas

Is it branded?

Bolex stuff goes for decent money now, for example.

bokonon
    Free Member

It depends on exactly what is included – if it’s just the mechanism, then that’s really specific and unless people actually want to use it, not of much value – £50 or so – maybe more for the nice box.

If it is a system which uses physical type to do the titles, and you have some of those – often made by Hernard in ceramic, “3-D title letters” these can be quite desirable for home decorating on their own, and an upmarket salvage shop might be interested, or etsy types.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Hmmm… I’ll have another look at lunchtime.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Just checked.

Yep.

It’s Bolex.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘About as OT as it can get: vintage movie-making equipment.’ is closed to new replies.