Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aargh flipping dogs fighting
  • itstig

We have two cross breed terriers and they have recently started fighting, proper going for the jugular biting mayhem. A fight a fortnight ago cost £190 to get the older smaller dog stitched. They seem to be best buddies most of the time but with little warning they go mad. Ive been bitten so has the mrs(twice), collateral damage prising their mouths open. All I can suggest is one has to go, no one else agrees. The fights are so unpredictable we can’t plan other than segregating them all the time. Any suggestions, thanks

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Both neutered?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

One has to go, or they need to be muzzled 24/7, or kept apart.

itstig

One spayed other neutered they have each started fights on different occasions. I think the older dog (a bitch) is going blind and seems to be overly aggressive. And the younger one (dog) is no longer prepared to be attacked so goes for a pre-emptive attack. The unpredictability of the fights is what makes life difficult.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IF you continue like this something even more nasty will happen]
    Dogs are hurt, people are hurt.
    you need tp seperate the dogs then either do this permanently or get a dog psychologist/behaviourist in if you think that sort of thing might work

Its not safe is it and hard though it is you need to act NOW before its gets really nasty.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Junky’s right. If you have kids they could get caught in the middle.
    How old is the younger dog? It could be trying to assert it’s dominance. Two dominant dogs is never going to be a happy combination, especially with terriers.
    Don’t piss around with dog shrinks. It won’t work.

chewkw
    Free Member

OP, ours are the same as both were best buddies when the young one was small but when the younger dog got older he simply wanted to dominate for whatever reasons. Attention seeking I think or jealousy. Both wanted to fight to the death to become top dog whenever they left alone. The way we deal with them is to cage one while the other is let out vice versa.

When they really fight they are fighting to the death but nobody fight to death when I am around 😆 My family members could not get them off they last time they had a fight, so it was up to me to grab one from the back of their neck (where the loose skin is and grab very tightly) and yanked one out. I usually yanked the younger more energetic one out as he would not stop attacking the older one. It weight around 20-25kg (like a little fat piggy) and with live weight it was heavier. I just yanked it up to nearly 4 feet off the ground then transferred it to the cage.

Our younger one is a local Borneo mongrel which is also known as “meat dog” (people eat them), while the older one is a Tibetan Terrier we rescued from the street.

Both are very loving to us but fight amongst themselves badly especially the jealous mongrel. That mongrel should taste good but luckily we don’t eat dogs otherwise it will be going in the pot.

🙂

edit: all good advices above …

skids
    Free Member

can you get a family member to take one of the dogs?

chewkw
    Free Member

skids – Member

can you get a family member to take one of the dogs?

For our mongrel it will go straight to the pot to be stewed or to be roasted meat if we give it away in that part of the world. 😆

itstig

The kids aren’t children (20s) still at home 🙄 Oldest dog is about 12 youngest 5 I’m sure its a dominance issue but them being terriers neither will back down. A terrier nightmare one is (we think) lakeland x patterdale other patterdale x ? last one is phsycally larger so soon gets the upper hand smaller one came from a dodgy farmer who used her in fox holes badger sets and ratting so she can be extremely savage!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aargh flipping dogs fighting’ is closed to new replies.