Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • A word of advice to joggists
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you choose to remove one of your senses by inserting earphones and listening to music or whatever, please do not forget you have some remaining senses. The gift of sight is a wonderful thing and it really would be a shame if you didn’t bother to use it.

For example if you are jogging along on a pavement and suddenly decide that the other side of the road is nicer than the side you are currently on, then you should look BEFORE you dart out in the road. You never know, there could be a couple of people doing the best part of 40mph, quite legitimately, on bikes. Now, when you have your major RETARD moment and randomly dart out in the road without even a CASUAL GLANCE OVER YOU SHOULDER, the fault really lies with you for not looking. A road bike doesn’t stop on a sixpence, especially when the rear wheel has forgotten what firm contact with terra firma is and is now twitching around in the air almost as much as the rider’s sphincter.

Oh, and just HOW THE @£$* IS IT THE FAULT GUY ON THE BIKE THAT YOU NEARLY GOT MASHED INTO THE TARMAC?????????

….and breath

philconsequence
    Free Member

6/10

surprisingly composed structure, use of paragraphs and good spelling.

extra points were awarded for capitalising “retard”

bassspine
    Free Member

rant win

and another thing. how come when everyone else on the cycle path is on the left, joggers always insist on being on the right?

crazy-legs

Excellent rant and one that I can identify with having been told off by a joggist on the canal towpath last night.

“You scared me to death!”
    “Well I’ve been ringing a bell and shouting at you for the last 5 minutes, perhaps if you bothered to take off your earphones you’d have actually heard me!”

scaredypants

Shit rant

how can you expect them to stop looking at their phone while running ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Excellent rant, but let down by use of Top Gear-ism.

Are you a Clarksonist?

Jamie
    Free Member

I blame the cyclist for not looking where the joggist was thinking of going.

……thing is, the sort of person who does this probably would do it with or without headphones.

ourmaninthenorth

[TJ mode]

You should have anticipated their lemming-like tendencies, and ridden at such a soeed and adopting such a road position that you would not have had a clenching moment.

(/TJ mode]

scaredypants

ourman – careful; you can’t always switch that shizzle off

sobriety
    Free Member

Like the idiot who changed lanes into me in their car whilst wearing their ipod (in a car, wtf?), and was thus totally oblivious to both my shouting and the car behind me leaning on their horn. Muppet.

boobs

According to my wife, shouting at someone whilst in a car doesn’t work. I have asked her to explain that to me but she is quite insistant it doesn’t, she says they can’t hear me ??
    The kids do find “COME ON WOMAN” to be quite funny. (you can use “MAN” if so desired)

TheSwede
    Free Member

I jogs backards init so I can always see who’s sneaking up behind me. Smart.

andytherocketeer

“joggists” are usually not a problem. tend to be alone, so space to pass.

Actually saw one running backwards last weekend, which was quite handy – he *had* to glance over shoulder to see where he’s going, but could see all cyclists sneaking up in front of him 🙂

Nordic walkers are the worst. They are always in gangs and in a line across the entire width of the path, and can’t hear jack over the clack clack clack of their walking sticks on gravel.

cinnamon_girl

Don’t get me started on anyone wearing earphones in a public place or faffing around with their stupid phone, especially in supermarkets.

On Sunday I was riding offroad and a jogger was up ahead, with headphones. Tinkled my bell, shouted a warning – all to no avail. So instead I accelerated and passed him rather closely. That’ll learn him. 😉

Sometimes I feel I’m the only one taking responsibility for myself. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Cyclers with iPods are a bloody menace as well, tbh.

andytherocketeer

So instead I accelerated and passed him rather closely. That’ll learn him.

I like autumn. Aim for the conkers and acorns. They make brilliant sideways projectiles when fired at ipod wearing human bike-path roadblocks 🙂 😉

amedias
    Free Member

fair point about remembering you have other senses…if you *choose* to remove a sense you’d better bloody well make sure you remember to use the others.

but, next time you are ringing and shouting and not getting any response, remember you could be cycling behind a deaf person.

the issue is not people wearing earphones – it’s people forgetting to use their other senses as well. It is perfectly possible to wear earphones (or be deaf) and not act like a tw*t

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was trying to get out of work the other week and someone had actually stopped in a revolving door to play with their phone? Took all my restraint to not just ram the door into them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on anyone wearing earphones in a public place or faffing around with their stupid phone, especially in supermarkets.

On Sunday I was riding offroad and a jogger was up ahead, with headphones. Tinkled my bell, shouted a warning – all to no avail. So instead I accelerated and passed him rather closely. That’ll learn him.
    Did you have some full-size bar ends fitted? If so, how long did it take to remover the jogger from them?

pastcaring
    Free Member

but, next time you are ringing and shouting and not getting any response, remember you could be cycling behind a deaf person.

ot

i was in the pub with my dog. two little girls come over and start feeding the dog cheesy biscuits.
    asked them to stop feeding the dog, they carried on so i told them don’t feed the dog. they still carried on,
    i was getting a little pissed off with being ignored, again please stop feeding the dog.
    one of the parents came over and apologized and said they were both deaf!
    i don’t think i’ve ever felt so bad 🙁

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What has been said above. You were travelling too quick for the conditions. You should have notice the jogger and reduced your speed accordingly.

YOU ARE IN THE WRONG NOT THE JOGGER.

🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What has been said above. You were travelling too quick for the conditions. You should have notice the jogger and reduced your speed accordingly.

Bull defecate!

Jogger on the pavement
    Me on the road

Do you slow to walking pace everytime you see someone on a pavement when you are on a bike, in a car etc?

Pieface

Sounds like you were out of control of your bike.

njee20
    Free Member

i don’t think i’ve ever felt so bad

Don’t. If they were good parents they should make their children wear a sign, to avoid such incidents and the subsequent awkwardness, it’s only polite.

I’m kidding, by the way.

oldgit
    Free Member

Pavement to the left, pavement to the right….I know I’ll run in the road.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You’d think that people on here might be a little sensitive to the perils of stereotyping – “those bloody cyclists, jumping red lights and riding on pavements…etc.”

Or maybe joggers really are all the same?

brassneck

5/10 – should have used the contraction ‘rtard’, sphincter spelt correctly, altogether too much control exercised for a rant.

Your non rant work shows much promise though, so I expect great things next time.

pastcaring
    Free Member

i don’t think i’ve ever felt so bad
    Don’t. If they were good parents they should make their children wear a sign, to avoid such incidents and the subsequent awkwardness, it’s only polite.

I’m kidding, by the way.

made me smile 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I’m glad! Thought it may toe that amusing/rude line a little too closely 🙂

Re the joggists, just hit them. Natural selection. Same for cyclists/children jumping red lights/playing in the road.

mikey74
    Free Member

The trouble is that even when things are blatantly obvious to people, they still choose to ignore them; such as that woman in her car who pulled out on me at a roundabout last night and taco’d my rear wheel, and then promptly drove off after mouthing the word “sorry” through the windscreen at me.

tf
    Free Member

A word of advice from a joggist: get a life!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Very Funny – [chuckle]

molgrips
    Free Member

When people cross the road in front of me without seeing me, and there’s room, I tend to whizz by really close and rather than shouting I quietly say ‘heads up’ right in their ear as I pass. Scares the crap out of them and teaches them a lesson about watching for cyclists, hopefully.

FOG

Joggists are mere amateurs compared to students. I live near a uni and am astounded by the complete lack of road sense displayed by the elite of our nation, either on foot or in the nice little car mummy bought them to go to college. In fact we now use the term texticide to describe the lemming like motion of a young person crossing the road without looking anywhere except their phone. If they do deign to notice you , it is to give you a whithering glance of the ‘ that poor person can only afford a bicycle and is trying to occupy my space’ type.
    Ah well, one thing this country has is plenty of students.

deep_river
    Free Member

I tend to moonwalk, its safer.

Its easier for people coming up your rear to predict your movements, plus it burns more calories than jogging!

SaxonRider

chakaping – Member
    Cyclers with iPods are a bloody menace as well, tbh.

x100

I just don’t get why one would want to shut down a critical sense when riding. On road, there are hazards to think about, while off-road, there are the sounds of nature.

Music of any type – but especially 3rd rate rock/pop or whatever – is for the car and/or home.

There. Do you feel preached at?

amedias
    Free Member

shut down a critical sense when riding

highly useful – NOT critical* – Deaf people can cycle safely too

IA

Joggists are mere amateurs compared to students

And students pale into insignificance compared to Edinburgh festival goers. My old commute had me crossing the meadows everyday, you get used to the students, but then the festival goers appear…

The “best” is when you see them looking at the pictures of the bike on the ground, even discussing it, then jump in shock when a bike comes past!

SaxonRider

amedias – Member
    shut down a critical sense when riding
    highly useful – NOT critical* – Deaf people can cycle safely too

Oh, I fully accept that. I suspect, though, that people who live with permanent hearing loss leave their homes acutely aware of the need to pay close attention in other ways.

I doubt this is the case with an iPod wearer on wheels.

RichPenny
    Free Member

x100

I just don’t get why one would want to shut down a critical sense when riding. On road, there are hazards to think about, while off-road, there are the sounds of nature.

Music of any type – but especially 3rd rate rock/pop or whatever – is for the car and/or home.

There’s an absolutely ENORMOUS flaw when examining those two statements. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘A word of advice to joggists’ is closed to new replies.