Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • a strong hand?
  • totalshell

I d have thought that eu citizens rights was one where the GB govt held a pretty strong hand.. eu has three times more of its citizens here than we do and if we leave with no deal they get no rights at all..we on the other hand need many of those folks to stay to provide basic services from crop picking to brain surgery. Poland especially needs a deal id have though as alomost a million polish nationals live in the uk.. even my MIL is affected as she holds an irish passport ( shes been here only 60 years..)

jimjam
    Free Member

dyls

I agree. Its all just part of the negotiating process. I bet BMW, VW etc will be pushing Germany for a deal as well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

So you endorse holding peoples lives to ransom to make a political gain?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed lets send them all those working age tax payers back and have all the retired folk return to run use our NHS and pick all the summer harvest and do all the menial shitty jobs – even though there are not enough of them to cover those who leave. That is a powerful negotiating position not to mention the impact on the social structure of repatriating 3 million people. It just not a realistic proposition for this to happen..the expense of repatriation is huge and will require you to have access to your own “money tree” to fund it.

As for upper hand imagine you are in a fight with 27 people and now you claim you have the upper hand because you are holding a grenade

Junkyard
    Free Member

I bet BMW, VW etc will be pushing Germany for a deal as well.

Why do folk not get some facts rather than repeat Brexit “truths”

But German car bosses are unwilling to undermine Merkel’s position. Merkel recently reiterated that EU governments would not negotiate Brexit terms until London had triggered the irreversible “article 50” leaving process, before adding pointedly that business leaders should show similar restraint.

That sentiment was quickly echoed by Matthias Wissmann, head of Germany’s influential auto industry lobby, the VDA.

“Everything must be done to allow the unfettered flow of goods and services,” he told reporters. “But there is one clear priority: we must stand together among the 27 EU member states.”

Wissmann’s counterpart at the UK’s SMMT car industry group also warned UK lawmakers that BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen Group may not push too hard for free trade.

German carmakers see “Europe as more important than the UK market,” SMMT chief Mike Hawes told a parliamentary committee in January. “They will align with what is best for Germany.”

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170131/ANE/170139958/german-automakers-see-no-way-around-post-brexit-tariffs

about the tenth time i have posted this

And here is the Uk one saying our manufacturing will stall without a deal

http://www.politico.eu/article/interview-uk-car-industry-will-stall-if-theresa-may-walks-away-from-deal/

slowoldman

we on the other hand need many of those folks to stay to provide basic services

So who has the upper hand then?

DrJ

I d have thought that eu citizens rights was one where the GB govt held a pretty strong hand.

Yeah, right – give us what we want or we’ll break up thousands of families. Sounds like a sincere and generous offer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just keep reminding people in a loud voice whilst they walk away ‘we had an EMPIRE you know…..we were a global power……we had a special relationship with America……hello,are you listening to me?’
    Whilst having a PM who could’nt hit the broad side of a barn…..from 3ft away….with a muck spreader.

dyls

It had to be give and take by both sides. Not just give by the UK.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Not just give by the UK.

(remembers why they’re on the ‘plugin’)

piemonster

Not at all, the ratio of give and take depends upon the circumstances! Many many historical examples of nations having terms dictated to them.

DrJ

“Give” what? Are these things actually what you want to be “trading”. To give a personal example, how many imported cars should we set against the right of my daughter to live in the same country as her mother?

twisty

It’s all pretty much irrelevant. The EU states in general can proceed with relatively minor issues whether there is a trade deal in place with the UK or not. On the other hand, the UK without a trade deal with EU is completely screwed, therefore the hand is very weak. Might be able to negotiate a few little scraps using something we have that affects the whole of Europe like our intelligence capabilities

Edukator
    Free Member

If you call a pair of twos a strong hand.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😆

dudeofdoom

Hmm strong hand on a shitty stick maybe
    but 27 countries vs us seems to make me think we are going to be royally Fkd.

You’ll still be able to buy the cars from them but with a higher price tag.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘a strong hand?’ is closed to new replies.