Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A question for the cyclocross riders/ racers
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Looking at getting some fast low rolling resistance summer tyres for summer series/ early season racing and when I look at the reviews on crc/ wiggle etc they are mainly from people who use them for commuting.

Tyres I’m looking at are Schwalbe Sammy Slick, Conti cx speed, Michelin Jet or any others that I’ve not yet come across.

Anyone have any experiences of these of indeed any other semi slick tyre?

As ever, thanks in advance.

STATO
    Free Member

Got some Jet’s on at the moment, fast, fun and supprisingly grippy in soft or tacky ground. Hit a patch of slimey mud tho and your going down.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Challenge grifo are the best cross tyres imo, not cheap but worth it ,I get mine from zepnat

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

STATO, what is the puncture resistance like?

I have Michelin Mud 2 on at the moment and really like them so the jets seem an obvious choice.

Ed2001, the challenge grifo’s will be my choice as a replacement for the mud 2’s but really looking for a semi slick at the moment.

ourmaninthenorth

I inherited some Conti speedkings on the cross bike I bought last year. They were worn from the previous owner’s commuting. Used them on a hot dry race – seemed to fly along and grip well enough for me (I’m a backmarker).

I also have some unused Kenda small block 8s, which I might give a whirl if it’s dry in the early season races.

(However, I plan to ride tubs this year, so am open to suggestions on what’s good for the mud of the North West!)

Ed2001
    Free Member

I was thinking more of the grifo xs as you said you wanted race tyre for dry conditions.

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree with Ed. Challenge Grifo are excellent, so much so that I’m probably going to get some Challenge Limus for when it gets muddy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, not a semi slick but very fast all the same.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Ed, they look like they could be the ones. A quick google search suggests uk stock is very low at the moment. Zapnet only have one in stock. 🙁

Edit; after clinchers btw.

organic355
    Free Member

Ive got Sammy slicks, but so far have only used them on the road. 1st test offroad this weekend.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

organic355, that’s no good to me. Get out now and report back immediately. 😉 A new bike and your waiting until the weekend? 🙄

organic355
    Free Member

A new bike and your waiting until the weekend

unfortunately to fund said bike I have to work during the week. 😉

LS
    Free Member

I use file-tread tubs (FMB Sprint) for early season racing and they are viciously fast. They’ve also got a lot more grip than you expect and can be used on damp but otherwise hard ground without trouble. Just don’t try them on wet grass.

footflaps

I’ve got some Continental Speed King CX Tyres FS in the classifieds – pair, brand new in box. Make me an offer……

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A question for the cyclocross riders/ racers’ is closed to new replies.