Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A Question for the cable experts!
  • jasonm945
    Free Member

I am just thinking about replacing my gear outers (they’re full length) and a search on here recommends Shimano’s SP41.
    Question is, would I notice any difference if I bought cheaper 4mm outer and filled it with silicone grease, or is SP41 so good that nobody can beat it ❓

Jay

jam-bo

Xtr cable sets are the best. CRC had them cheap a while back

jasonm945
    Free Member

Not really the question I asked!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Some will say yes, there’s a huge difference.
    I personally do what you’re thinking & buy outer per 30m roll & spend the difference in money saved elsewhere.
    Use good quality inners though, not the crappy cheap galvanised one- Stainless or better still XTR

tk46hal
    Free Member

No! If I was replacing outer cables I would pop into my LBS and pull some off his reel, Oh! and probably replace the inners as well.

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have some new SS shimano inners, wes just thinking about a 30m roll of outer, but Shimano’s is v expensive…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You don’t need expensive inners – just narrower 1.1mm ones as they run so much more smoothly inside. SP41 full length outers + 1.1mm inners = happy shifting for months and months.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have seen cheap outer not work on 10s road, replace with sp41 and it worked – but there is no more sensetive gear system.

I don’t like grease in cables FWIW.

1.1 inners I do like.

cp

Shimano from Merlin for me – just about the cheapest around, just buy more than a tenner’s worth for free postage.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/cables-1/shimano-sis-outer-gear-casing.html

As cyinc-al, I’ll not use cheap stuff again. Clarks is OK, but Shimano ‘just works’.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Sp41 works well and should not be costly by the meter and even comes in lots of colours

The genuine shimano 4mm end caps with the seals in work very well but can be a pain to find
    And SRAM pit stop 1.1 mm stainless inner is the best IMO

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A Question for the cable experts!’ is closed to new replies.