Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • A observational theory
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

On the few occassions I sell my soul and visit a trail centre I have decided that the more the bike costs and the more expensive the vehicle it comes out of is in direct proportion to the amount of time the bike isn’t actually ridden! 😀

Drac

Are you having ago at me there?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve observed that the more inverted snobbery people display, the more likely they are to be unpleasant people to spend time with.

oh 😀

😉

zippykona

AN!

Gary_M
    Free Member

the more expensive the vehicle it comes out of is in direct proportion to the amount of time the bike isn’t actually ridden

You must have hung around the car park a long time to come up with that theory, you should have counted the tax discs whilst you were there.

People spending money on things they want shocka.

jam-bo

You had to sell your soul? Normally only costs me a bit of diesel and a pasty from the garage.

Tsk, trail centres, eh?

Drac

You must have hing around the car park a long time to come up with that theory.

Maybe he was counting tax discs.

hels
    Free Member

Badly expressed and I disapprove of your bitterness, but it does seem logical, Jim. People who work hard have more money to spend on shiny things and less time to spend with the shiny things. People who live out of their 1985 Nissan probably have more time to ride their bike.

legend
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    You had to sell your soul? Normally only costs me a bit of diesel and a pasty from the garage.
    POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Parking charges these days innit!

jam-bo

Good point. £4.50 for a double espresso last time I ventured to Haldon.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Damn … my obsession with tax discs is out in the open!

Inverted snobbery indeed?! …. but Jambo, a pasty? … the food police are onto you!!

aracer
    Free Member

racist

yunki
    Free Member

Badly expressed and I disapprove of your bitterness, but it does seem logical, Jim. People who work hard have more money to spend on shiny things and less time to spend with the shiny things. People who live out of their 1985 Nissan probably have more time to ride their bike.

that’s patent twaddle of almost the same pomposity and ignorance as the OP isn’t it?

Richie_B

Its not just trail centres sit in the Woodbine Cafe in Hope for any length of time and you will see the same.
    (Sadly during the course of my studies I too have transformed myself into a lardy ***. The moral is don’t think about things too much)

hels
    Free Member

Duh yunki.

jam-bo

Inverted snobbery indeed?! …. but Jambo, a pasty? … the food police are onto you!!
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Welcome to Devon…

hairylegs
    Free Member

Richie B … thanks for your support!

Ignorant and pompous … moi? Nah …. go read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”

cubist
    Free Member

Maybe there’s also an element to stages of life people are at? I am in my late 30’s have a young family and a good job which I work hard at. Thus I have a nice car, a relatively expensive bike but limited ‘me’ time due to the aforementioned family and job.

The lack of time makes a local trail centre ideal as its an efficient way to get a ride in outside of family and work time.

Not everyone can bugger off into the wilds for the whole weekend even if they wanted to.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Jam bo … don’t pasties come from Cornawll

…. lights blue touch paper and stands back!!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

What about people with cheap cars and expensive bikes, where do they fit into the OP’s stereotype hierarchy.

I’d like to know how I’m perceived 🙂

robj20
    Free Member

My take on it is.

The amount of time you spend caring about what other people are riding = how much your are jealous.

What about people with cheap cars and expensive bikes, where do they fit into the OP’s stereotype hierarchy.

I’d like to know how I’m perceived

I think i fall into that one with a Mk1 Ford Focus and a SC Nomad.

legend
    Free Member

centralscrutinizer – Member
    I’d like to know how I’m perceived

As a thief.

HTH

yunki
    Free Member

Ignorant and pompous … moi? Nah …. go read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance”

Do I really have to..? Again..? I didn’t enjoy it a great deal 25 years ago, I suppose I might now 😕

hairylegs
    Free Member

Cubist … I totally get you. At least you ride!! It’s the guys who bugger about the whole day pimping their bike in the car park that started my theory off.

Don’t get me wrong, I drive a nice car (won’t disclose for fear of abuse and ridicule :-)), but the other day I was down at Swinley, parked next to a guy fettling a very, very expensive bike. Went off for a ride around both the blue and red routes and came back to him still tinkering and posing around the car park on a spotlessly clean bike (so he obviously hadn’t been anywhere. Went for a cup of tea to return to see said bike been loaded back into car!!

I’ve seen similar. Llandegla being one of the best places to observe such behaviour. Mind you any centre with a large infra-structure is good, but go somewhere like Penmachno and it’s a different story … just honest riders as there’s no audience there!!!

njee20
    Free Member

How are you assessing from seeing people’s bikes and their cars how much they get ridden?

Are you correlating cleanliness/condition with use? Whenever I see a battered bike I don’t think “wow, that person rides a lot”, I think “wow, that person shouldn’t have nice things”.

fathomer

hairylegs – Member
    Don’t get me wrong, I drive a nice car (won’t disclose for fear of abuse and ridicule :-)), but the other day I was down at Swinley, parked next to a guy fettling a very, very expensive bike. Went off for a ride around both the blue and red routes and came back to him still tinkering and posing around the car park on a spotlessly clean bike (so he obviously hadn’t been anywhere. Went for a cup of tea to return to see said bike been loaded back into car!!

I call bull shit! Or his bike was broke.

robj20
    Free Member

If people want to buy nice bikes and not ride them, what’s wrong with that? They’re putting money into our sport and helping to keep trail centres going without causing any wear and tear.

Sounds like we should be thanking them.

njee20
    Free Member

I call bull shit! Or his bike was broke.

+1, either way not sure why it’s your job to critique OP? Jealousy I assume.

benji
    Free Member

Trail centre bingo is where it’s really at.

Usual bingo card consists of a Yeti, Ibis Mojo, Orange 5, and the riders in fluoro pyjamas/potty helmets, etc.

It’s all a bit of fun, at least everyone is out riding, and bike shops stock a plentiful supply of things to tempt the pennies out of our wallets.

amedias
    Free Member

but the other day I was down at Swinley, parked next to a guy fettling a very, very expensive bike. Went off for a ride around both the blue and red routes and came back to him still tinkering and posing around the car park on a spotlessly clean bike (so he obviously hadn’t been anywhere. Went for a cup of tea to return to see said bike been loaded back into car!!

Sure he wasn’t fettling it before loading it into his car after having been for a ride and cleaned it?

Or any number of other reasons he could have had to leave that you don’t know about.

Anecdotal anecdote is anecdotal.

Euro
    Free Member

Yeah OP, you’re a liar and a jealous.

I was out for a ride with a group of mostly unknowns and one of them stopped at every the top of every climb to adjust the air pressure in his shock. He also adjusted the pressure at the bottom of each descent. He complained a lot and blamed his suspension for his poor riding. I didn’t notice how clean his bike was. Am i jealous, lying, both or neither?

legend
    Free Member

He probably set off after you did, rode the red, then the blue and was cleaned up and ready to go home before you were even finished

hairylegs
    Free Member

The amount of time you spend caring about what other people are riding = how much your are jealous

nah …. you’ve got it all wrong.Don’t do jealousy

What about people with cheap cars and expensive bikes, where do they fit into the OP’s stereotype hierarchy

You’re a rider … with right priorities

moshimonster
    Free Member

I have decided

why? To make yourself feel better presumably.

njee20
    Free Member

nah …. you’ve got it all wrong.Don’t do jealousy

And yet here is this thread…

stumpy01

njee20 – Member
    How are you assessing from seeing people’s bikes and their cars how much they get ridden?

Are you correlating cleanliness/condition with use? Whenever I see a battered bike I don’t think “wow, that person rides a lot”, I think “wow, that person shouldn’t have nice things”.

+1 – how do you know from your car park observations how often a bike gets ridden?

And how do you know how much it costs?
    How would you be able to tell that my £3k carbon FSR started out life as an alloy FSR that I paid substantially less than RRP for, that subsequently got warrantied for the carbon version…..have had quite a few snide comments (probably from people like yourself) while riding about the cost of my bike.

And how would you know that my mate’s £3k carbon Haibike was bought direct from Raleigh (he works for them) and so he paid a fraction of the RRP?

moshimonster
    Free Member

Here’s another theory for you (also made up of course):-

Regardless of what bike they are riding or what car they turn up in, most riders are actually pretty shit – but have a good time

hairylegs
    Free Member

“Yeah OP, you’re a liar and a jealous.

ouch … some people are just no fun. Looks like I’ve touched a few nerves here!!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Looks like I’ve touched a few nerves here!!

No, I think you’ve just made yourself look like a jealous **** – even though you insist you aren’t

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘A observational theory’ is closed to new replies.