Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 9 lbs
  • tails
    Free Member

I went on the treadmill yesterday and felt very sluggish so stopped did some weights. I went went back to the treadmill and still felt like this, this morning I found out why. NINE **** POUNDS that is what I have put on since xmas eve! How is this possible I didn’t even try that hard to eat a lot!! 👿

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I doubt all Of that is fat, id have thought (hope!) it’s nigh on impossible to gain 9lbs in 4 days.

Your diurnal weight can vary by 2/3lbs, ime.

Cracking effort tho:-)

piemonster

Hydration levels?

headfirst
    Free Member

Avoid the treadmill. Muscle’s heavier than fat innit.

paul4stones

Yep. We did a before and after on Christmas Day and the average was +4lbs, I managed 6 😎

Can easily be rectified I hope!

hmanchester
    Free Member

My advice would be avoid the treadmill if fat reduction is your goal.

This explains it better than I ever could

Edit: My own body weight has a swing of about 8 pounds depending on food, hydration and morning poo status. A tape measure around your belly would be my number 1 stat to keep an eye on.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I agree that exercise in itself is not the greatest of weight loss tools, but I hate article’s like that, they contain so much pseudo bollocks and misinformation that it boils my piss – a scientifically proven weight loss process in itself.
    I was talking to a mate yesterday who’s massively overweight – planning to start a diet in Jan and lose three stone in three months but still has several boxes of Christmas chocolates to get though first. I suggested that he could just start with the basics such as getting up and walking the dog in the morning rather than paying someone else to do it.
    His response –
    No, no I’ve read an article in the mail that said cardio exercise is no good for loosing weight, so it would be pointless.
    And of course he was right, it would be no good for loosing weight, but alas the message fatties are taking from such guff is that exercise is at best pointless and at worse bad for you.

And let’s look at the exercise recommended by Mark Sisson (the bloke referenced in the ‘No cardio? Then what should we do instead?’ section)

So that’s 5 hours easy jogging on the treadmill as the base of the weekly exercise 🙂

McHamish
    Free Member

Yeah…runnings good if you want to run.

There are better things to do if you want to lose weight. hmanchester’s link is good when it starts talking about HIIT near the end.

I do something similar to tabata circuits (if you want to know more, let me know).

headfirst
    Free Member

hmanchester…interesting article but didn’t our ancestors only live to about 30? Hardly a ringing endorsement of their lifestyle.

Edit: I want to know more about tabata and HIIT please, especially for on a turbo trainer.

organic355
    Free Member

Cardio is no good for losing weight?? Am I missing something?
    So if you are grossly overweight and do no excercise and take up walking/jogging you won’t lose any weight or see any benefits? I don’t think so.

paul4stones

The ‘caveman standard’ is what all these things are judged by these days as far as I can see but as headfirst says they didn’t necessarily try the lifestyle out for long.

Weasel
    Free Member

When I got back into riding I was out 5 times a week at one point and dropped half a stone in a month, my diet hadn’t changed either.

I find it strange how some of my mates seem to revel in the size of their bellies and size 38 jeans at the moment. One fella is proud he gets his clothes from Jacamo

McHamish
    Free Member

From my understanding and own research into fitness training etc;

Cardio is no good for losing weight?? Am I missing something?

That’s not quite accurate – there are more efficient ways to lose weight than running.

To be able to lose weight running, you’ll need to run relatively long distances of longer period of times. This isn’t particularly efficient and for me it’s a little boring.

By changing the approach to running you could make it more efficient, go to the park and sprint between two trees 30 yards apart, then jog back. Do this for half an hour and it’ll be a more efficient fat burner than running at a steady pace for 1 hour. (this is an approximation)

If you really want to mix it up, you could stop and do 20 burpees after one shuttle run, then 20 press ups on the next one, then 20 sit ups…etc…etc.

This is my understanding of HIIT/metabolic training, I’m not stating this as scientific fact, just my current opinion and understanding. If you know better then lets discuss!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve lost 10lbs since the 21st Dec when I had a Tonsillectomy/Biopsy, I’ve hardly eaten or drunk anything all xmas 🙁

Sandwich

Damn, my tonsils were removed 40 years ago!

emma82
    Free Member

my clothes are all starting to feel a bit tight, tried a bit of exercise last night and thought I was going to be sick 5 minutes in! that’s after a week off with a lot of eating and a reasonable amount of booze 🙂

Eat healthy, exercise often, avoid gyms with a vengeance (unless you enjoy it) and you wont go wrong. anyone who says fat people wont loose weight if you do cardio exercise is either a knob or fat and lazy themselves. 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m no gym expert, but I’m pretty sure you can do HIIT on a treadmill.

hmanchester
    Free Member

headfirst: That’s a bit of a misleading statistic. Our ancesters average age was indeed close to 30 years but this is mainly due to lack of modern medicine (antibiotics being a major one – every cut, scrape and sexual conquest could lead to death by infection), high levels of death during pregancy/infancy, and other dangers from not living in secure accomodation, etc.

To look at another evolutionary clue, ask why would a modern human female’s menopause begin in their late 50’s early 60’s if we were only meant to live until we were 35?

A good analogy is dental care:

Modern times. More likely to get a cavity/root canal because of the increased sugars especially in drinks consumed. Solution is to go to the dentist when it happens and get it fixed.

Ancestral times: Less likely to get a cavity/root canal but if you do then no dentistry and no antibiotics and so it might end up killing you through infection or not being able to eat.

Conclusion: Far healthier ancestrally (evidence of tooth decay in found remains is incredibly low) but likely to have more severe health consequences when you do have an issue because of lack of medicine.

So….. Why not combine the two – ancestral food/exercise choices and modern medicine?

feenster
    Free Member

I love how that chris kresser (is that his real name?) goes into all the subtelties and nuances and different outcomes for different study and control groups to rubbish convential training and thinking, then advocates doing what the cavemen did off back of nothing more than broad assumptions and generalisations about what they did and what benefits they got. And yeah, good pint, they only lived to 30.

piemonster

feels (and smells) like I just lost 6-7 lbs in the throne room, a thoroughly satisfying effort.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘9 lbs’ is closed to new replies.