Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 7 Stanes advice needed
  • catcher
    Free Member

I’ve got a week off and was planning on heading up to Glentress/Innerleithen and Kirroughtree for a fewdays from Lancashire. Given the current weather conditions would I be wasting my time? How are the roads and how are the trails? Thanks.

coogan
    Free Member

Trails will be covered in snow at GT/Innerleithen. Dunno about Kirroughtree. I’d leave it till next year.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don’t think GT is that bad, trail centres to the west might be snow free. The worst of the snow is in the east, the central belt and further north. GT isn’t much fun if its been ridden a lot, gets compacted and then freezes. It’s nearly impossible then to get up the forest roads.

banginon

Mabie has a sprinkling, Dalbeattie OK I’da thought Kirro will be fine.

Not a Stane, but Drumlanrig in excellent condition- dry and grippy, crisp sugar coat of frosty snow – sweet!

Andy_K

Dalbeattie and Mabie both very nice this weekend with the fresh snow. Might be very different once it compacts and ices up though!

iainc

Dalbeattie, Mabie, Kirroughtree, Ae and Drumlanrig – perfect break. Out of them all, I’d say that Drumlanrig and Kirroughtree might be riding best due location/shelter – unlikley to be much more snow, so will crisp up

MarkN
    Free Member

+2 on Kirrourghtree being okay, Rarely effected. I would guess that Dumfries and Dalbeatie will be fine to.

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/website/forestry.nsf/byunique/infd-69afrj

Will give you the latest. failing that call the ranger.
    take layers if you do get stuck with a mechanical

Cronin
    Free Member

Rode Kirroughtree today – just a light dusting of snow on most of the trail, none at all under the spruce trees. Great fun!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I live in Dumfries and we have only had a slight sprinkling of snow – more of a heavy frost – nothing really. Obviously the weather could change, but don’t forget Drumlanrig and Ae if you have to miss off the Eastern Stanes.

catcher
    Free Member

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes advice needed’ is closed to new replies.