Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 5 passes on a sunny day – lots of pics!
  • clareymorris

So…..start at Rosthwaite, warm up to Seatoller, zig zags to Honister, Fleetwith Pike Bridleway to Buttermere, Scarth Gap to Blacksail Hut, Blascksail Pass to Wasdale head for a beer stop at the hotel. Styhead Pass to Angletarn Cumbria way, Stakes pass to Langstrath and back to the van..via the pub…9.5 hours, nearly 6000ft of climbing, and not even 25 miles!!

Heading over from Honister to Fleetwith Pike

Scarth Gap mechanical and scooby snack stop (hot hot HOT!!)

Heading down towards Black Sail hostel

The next two are on the low path up to Sty Head – again it was really sunny and sheltered so it was a hard slog up!

Sty head complete with golden eagle (not in this pic) flying around how fab!!

Angletarn…

Heading round to Langstrath – and the pub for a Gin and Tonic and some olives!!!!!

snowslave

Blimey what a day! Great pics

Ambrose

Rocks, hills, sunshine, eagles- looks like you had a fantastic time. I spent the day in Swansea 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wool

So are you riding tommorow Claire after all that? hard core.
    Piers

piha
    Free Member

That looks blimin great!Nice one.

clareymorris

Put it this way, the forecast is good for tomorrow night……….see you there?!?! 😀

montylikesbeer

stunning , hats off

wool

Hope so pass issued and a working proper bike no canties this time
    Will be expecting you to do the kielder 100 with all this hardcore riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wonderful pics.

Gutted I've just had to cancel my planned weekend in the Lakes.

clareymorris

Good stuff………..although it was fun hearing your teeth rattling in your head on that loooong descent!!!

JohnnyPanic

Looks brill. I hate you with a passion. 🙂

clareymorris

We blame Gavgas – it was all his idea (he's not just a pretty face) 😀

stoney
    Free Member

Hey wool ❗ Did you actually have any brake pads left after THAT descent ❓ 😉

boxelder

Aaahhhhh, proper mountain biking.

I bumped into Pete L in Buttermere, after he'd wussed out gone his own way, and got him to turn around, back round the lake, over Honister and down 'the bash' to Grange. Felt a bit smug heading home through Whinlatter and seeing the number of riders following signs round the trails there.

p.s. You sure it was an eagle and not an adventurous buzzard?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Max Cousins Langstrath

Zoe and Clare

Pete and Dave

(Animal!)

It was an exellent day,and very much an epic! Five punctures,one twisted chain,one collapsed hope free hub (it got me back on three bearings and one pawl and spring!) Oh and several crashes….lol, Interestingly everyone was wearing knee pads,was it something I said 🙄

The full trip in the pub tommorrow night stoney!

DavidM
    Free Member

Did a slightly less hardcore version of this this week, we went straight on at Sty Head though. Such an ace ride…

grumm
    Free Member

Looks amazing, nice one – do you have a map/gps of the route?

lowey

Cheats!! You missed out Rossett Ghyll and the climb up Stake!

Just joking. Proper Lakes Epic and I'm DEAD jealous.

Funnily enough, I doing that ride in June, but splitting it with a bivvy at Sprinkling tarn but doing Rossett down to Mickleden as well. Hope I get as lucky with the weather as you guys.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Mountain bikes on mountains… 😛 MUST do that myself this year

wonnyj
    Free Member

Hey Ambrose, Swansea on a sunny day isn't so bad. I spent Sunday doing this.

Glorious sunshine and barely any wind all the way round.

clareymorris

Hey Boxelder Well done on picking Pete up and re-routing him!!!

I know what you mean about probably being a Buzzard, but no defo an Eagle – although I missed the close-up (gutted) my mate Justin saw it fly very close by!!

catnap
    Free Member

wow, great pics and that pint looks good also. dont know wether it makes me want to get out and ride or go down the boozer !! 🙄

ampthill

WOW that is a big trip!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

p.s. You sure it was an eagle and not an adventurous buzzard?

Nah… Justins exellent at bird spotting 😉

DavidM
    Free Member

How superb is the Black Sail descent? I was wondering whether it was worth going to the alps after that? Just out of interest, how did you guys get from Angle Tarn over to the top of Stake Pass? Is it any good, or just one of those nessecary linking bits of trail?

yetiguy
    Free Member

you guys have got it all wrong, the whinlater red route and the northface trail were all in easy reach??? Whats wrong with you???? 😉

Seriously though, i havent done a trail centre in months. Was a trail centre addict, until i found the joys of natural riding, not to be confused with riding your bike whilst naked, thats another thread altogether

muddy@rseguy

Great stuff. You guys are getting lots of jealous looks from "daarn saarth" 😉

Edit: just checked out the route on MemoryMap….Blimey! 😯

GaVgAs
    Free Member

or just one of those nessecary linking bits of trail?

from Angle tarn its a mix of bog and great technical singletrack,It does get better as the gradient gets steeper.

the alternative is to drop into rossett gill,a major undertaking and probably the hardest, steepest Bridleway in the lakes!,and then to climb up the cumbria way into langstrath.

Due to valuable pub time,and my mechanical problems (Langstrath inn) we took an alernative track/path from Angle tarn along the ridge and exellent decent onto the top of Stakes pass. 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

muddy@rseguy

Its about time you joined us for your yearly fix!…when are you coming up?

hugin
    Free Member

Outstanding! Lovely pics too.

muddy@rseguy

Hi Gavgas, I might be up late spring early summer to ride some proper hills 🙂 hope to see you guys soon

GaVgAs
    Free Member

ace i will give you your gloves back from two years ago! 🙄

there just about dry!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

yetiguy

Seriously though, i havent done a trail centre in months. Was a trail centre addict, until i found the joys of natural riding,

I was discussing this with Michael Bonney from Orange bikes,there is a real culture swing of mouintain bikers from natural stuff to trail centres,theres nothing wrong with that, but if you can read and understand a map theres a whole different world out there just waiting to be discovered,and thats where mountainbiking,and Orange bikes started,and evolved from. 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

which trail did you take from Angle Tarn – the black track or the, ahem, cheeky alternative?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think it was the black track, ir_bandito,its fairly easy to follow although i suspect the path higher up or even following the ridge line could be less prone to bog although it will have had less wear,and maybee just grass.

I would be interested to know if there is a better path higher up

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘5 passes on a sunny day – lots of pics!’ is closed to new replies.