• This topic has 58 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • 5% of our March Shimano sales to be donated to tsunami victims
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Some people need their heads looked at.

Knowing Mark reasonably well I can assure you that the people of Japan are indeed his first priority in this. I’d be surprised if the thought of getting extra sales had even entered his head.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If you don’t agree with it then move on, he is a business and entitled to make a profit as well as doing something good with some of the profits he makes from a Japanese product its quite common place nowadays, lots of companies do it so don’t be so cynical it how the world works how else is he meant to make money to donate don’t see what is there to criticise.

kaesae
    Free Member

hilldodger, you say insult I say tellin it as it is, I am not friends with mark nor have I ever met him, you have a truly warped perspective on things.

First you try to put people of buying from TBC, now you are trying to put the owner in a bad light. I am a straight forward guy, I have no time for being polite to individuals like you.

People are dying and you want to argue, waste time, then take the moral high ground.

I don’t care about talk or silly arguments, actions speak louder than words. Any money going to these people is a good thing, anyone getting in the way of that, for their own selfish reasons, needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

dan1980
    Free Member

how else is he meant to make money to donate don’t see what is there to criticise

The same way that most people make money to donate, by working hard and doing without so they can give some of what they’ve made to those less fortunate.

Profiteering off the back of a disaster is just not cricket as far as I’m concerned.

swiss01
    Free Member

i think it’s rather good that the op thought of doing something in the first place as there appears to be rather a dearth of response in that respect in the rest of the thread.

me, i’m looking at publishing something to raise money and damn my black capitalist heart if it won’t have our logo on it. maybe i’ll even ask the bike chain to stock it just for a lark.

sheffield43
    Free Member

The same way that most people make money to donate, by working hard and doing without so they can give some of what they’ve made to those less fortunate.

Agree with the above. I would imagine reality lies somewhere in between the guy being a living saint and him being a cynical shop owner trying to boost sales and get free publicity off a massive disaster – doesn’t it?

warton
    Free Member

the fact is that by saying he’ll donate 5% of all shimano ‘profit’ (define profit), although meant as a good gesture comes across as someone trying to make a bit more money. 5% will not be all the profit he makes on shimano kit. so although it is a good gesture, and more than I will be doing it comes across as a bit callous IMO.

SkillWill
    Free Member

ourkidsam – Member

I don’t doubt the intention is honourable but it’s ended up looking like a promotion. Promotions off the back of disasters don’t look good.

dan1980 – Member

If this is/was a truly altruistic act then surly saying in April “We sold loads of Shimano stuff in March and are giving all our profits from this to an appeal.” would have been the way to do it?

Agreed. If the OP wanted to give money to the quake victims he could have done it in a way that didn’t ‘encourage’ extra sales for his business.

Not cool man, not cool…

aracer
    Free Member

kaesae – you still wasting time on here rather than stopping people dying? How can you be so callous?

Shandy
    Free Member

People you are being a bit harsh criticizing these guys. There are a couple of people from TBC who make an effort to contribute to the forum, answer peoples questions, discuss products, organise group rides, and so on.

If you think they are “profiteering off a tragedy” you don’t have to buy, I’m sure Merlin or CRC will still take your money. This is a small business which takes an active role in the forum, trying to do something nice. Take it at face value or ignore the thread.

warton
    Free Member

Any money going to these people is a good thing, , anyone getting in the way of that, for their own selfish reasons, needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I totally agree, so therefore it would be best to donate to the red cross, who will use the money INSTANTLY, rather than TBC waiting till the end of the month to donate.

swiss01
    Free Member

so, if i’m reading this right you can only give/donate to charity if you don’t make a fuss about it and certainly if, in any way, you might be making some sort of money. and better yet if you take this position and don’t make any effort on the charitable front in the first place (with specific reference to the op’s post)

that’s going to make corporate sponsorship of charity a bit tricky then isn’t it. http://www.redcross.org.uk/Get-involved/Corporate-support/How-your-company-can-get-involved/Marketing-initiatives

Woody
    Free Member

although meant as a good gesture comes across as someone trying to make a bit more money

Only if that is how you perceive the gesture. As has been pointed out above (I don’t know Mark or anyone connected with TBC personally) it appears to have been done with the best of intentions and it says a lot more about those questioning the motives than it does the OP.

There really are some wanchors on here.

GW
    Free Member

Does anyone on here really buy their Shimano parts from an LBS at RRP?
    pretty sure all shimano parts will be available with at least 5% discount online. Personally if I want to donate to anything I do it directly and quietly.

nice gesture but as someone else said, how about making a donation from last months profit to get the money where it’s needed sooner?
    <EDIT> actually it’s half way through the month so maybe you already have donated 2 weeks profit, appologies if you have.

swiss01
    Free Member

obviously in between the posting opprobium about business getting involved in the dirty business of charity donation people’s fingers will be getting weary from clicking on the red cross linky dinky. so here’s the save the children one instead. fear not my precious flowers you can do it all anonymously (but you realise that save the children is a business right?)
    http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/en/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-appeal.htm

me, i’m not donating to them because kids just grow up and make money and stuff. damn them!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

OP was making a gesture, hes going to sell Shimano anyway, why are people getting on their high horse and making inflammatory comments like profiteering off a disaster and such like its not meant to be callous or anything. People really have a warped view of things at times :roll:.

sheffield43
    Free Member

(but you realise that save the children is a business right?)

I thought it was a charity?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i applaud marks gesture…how he worded it,right or wrong doesnt matter…profiteering is a bit over-dramatic based on the scale of his and most bike shops

shandy,you put it better than most on here…

the problem here is the vast majority on here doesnt use/respect/like/understand the lbs( i think this was illustrated by the length of the crc security thread)

true we’re all business’s but not in the enormous turnover/profit league of most of the companies that you lot buy off…

i try and get involved in all sorts of local community intiatives,donate far too much to charitable causes(local ones mainly) chair the local trails association,take cycling proffiency…i dont do all these things just with the mind that it will increase business.(it generally doesnt!) i do it because im self-employed and have the time/inclination…

ive read all the japan threads and theyre seems to be a lot of selfish attitudes…at least mark is doing something active/altruistic whilst some are worried about possible price rises of shimano??

Mark

I’m going to close this thread now. It’s not being deleted but the subject will be moved to our front page as a news story for better and more appropriate coverage there. I’m not censoring the debate and you are free to continue the issues surrounding it on the forum but we (including Mark) feel this thread is best brought to an end while we work on presenting it in a better way elsewhere on the site.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘5% of our March Shimano sales to be donated to tsunami victims’ is closed to new replies.