• This topic has 61 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ernie.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • 5 grand to spend – Carbon high performance super bike or 24 year old hardtail?
  • tomhoward

Anyone remember how much they were new at the time?

Just trying to work out how much an £8k dandy horse of today will be ‘worth’ in 20+ years. So I can buy one as an investment, you see. Start the bidding at £20k?

orangeboy
    Free Member

It won’t ride like a modern £5000 bike but that’s not the point.
    Oh and I want it a lot ,
    Is it worth the price probably not but I still want it

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not intrinsically worth anything like that. So you’re attaching value to the idea of it, not the actual bike itself. Style over function, except it’s ugly. Hype over function.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@ Glasgowdan… high performance carbon? you want one of these,

http://www.centurysea.co.uk/sea-rods/excalibur-tt/

kerley
    Free Member

A lot of people clearly don’t get it, which is fine.

A) It is a desirable bike (and always has been) for a lot of people
    B) How many of those desirable bikes are NOS, never built up or ridden

I would guess there would be one or two in existence in which case the price is actually pretty low based on A and B.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Guess which one gets the most use? Old bikes are great but compared to today’s bikes they’re a long way behind!

The Klein as the other has tyres based on aesthetic value rather than what works? 😉

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s not intrinsically worth anything like that. So you’re attaching value to the idea of it, not the actual bike itself.

what the hell are you on about? Its worth what its worth and to many people 5k on a NOS Klein frame and forks is worth it. have you seen the prices second hand used ones go for? Not much less. Whats to say someone riding this isn’t getting as much pleasure as someone riding a modern bike? Its all smiles and fun and if this tickles their box then it’s worth it.

chestrockwell

Coming from a retro bike background if that really is NOS then it’s not actually over priced. Huge market for ‘real’ Kleins, especially in Germany. Buy it, enjoy looking at it, then sell it for at least the same. Try doing that with a new bike! That’s the beauty of retro, if you do it right you should never lose money.

As for riding them…. Agreed that they are way different to modern but they always were. I wouldn’t want to ride retro exclusively but it’s a good laugh going out for a blast with some mates and old bikes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    Anyone remember how much they were new at the time?

My Attitude cost me (IIRC) £2800 or something very near that.. I had a Marin Team Titanium for 2mths before that and that cost £3000 (it then got nicked at a race in Cannock Chase and the Klein replaced it)
    As far as both bikes rode, I clearly didn’t spend enough time on the TeamTiT but I preferred the Attitude.

garlic
    Free Member

Mindless nostalgia. Bikes are for riding, not for polishing.

aracer
    Free Member

No, I think most of us do get that. What we’re wondering is what you do with it – as soon as you ride it then it is no longer never ridden. It might not depreciate as fast as a new bike if you ride it, but it won’t be far off.

I can understand that there are some people who have always wanted one for whom it will be worth buying to ride – it’s certainly very near the top of the list of bikes I lusted after, and if I had too much money… But as mentioned it won’t be as nice to ride as a modern bike.

The thing is, if you want to preserve that bike in that condition, and you do want a bike to ride, then if you buy that you’ll also have to buy another bike.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t really spend any money at all on nostalgia. I’d quite like an old Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a from that sort of era, but those go for a couple of hundred when people realise they don’t actually need another pub bike. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lusting after bling bikes is a bit rubbish anyway, isn’t it?

chestrockwell

I don’t spend that much on nostalgia either. I’d love an aquafade Fat Chance Yo Eddy but you’re looking at £1500 for a decent one of those which is too much for me. I have a Tufftrax, Pine Mountain, Clockwork and RTS1, all from the late 80’s, early 90’s. Their worth is in 10’s and low 100’s rather then 1000’s but I like messing with them, like looking at them and if I sell I’ll make back more then they cost me. What’s wrong with that? I also know I have money tied up in them that will go a fair way to buying something modern and tasty in the future if I want to.

The posher bikes just attract people like me with deeper pockets, same rules apply though.

ant77
    Free Member

Trip down memory lane.
    I had that frame, with that exact paint job…

Very fast bike to ride, but the front end was so stiff it smashed your arms and wrists to pieces. I think I crashed at one stage on it, did some damage to my wrist (which is still a bit of an issue now) and it had to go as I couldn’t take the buzz from the trail any more.

Very sad to see it go…

DickBarton

Far too much to spend on a bike whether it is brand new or cult-status. Saying that, I’d happily build that Klein up and go ride it…suspect it’d ride very well.

This idea of ‘old-style’ bikes not riding well – utter mince – back then, they were the latest thing and rode very well…if people are only used to riding sofa-comfort big travel bikes then everything that doesn’t have that kind of travel both ends will apparently ride terribly. Things move on and geometry changes, but if you can ride a bike…you can ride any bike, it just comes down to your ability as to how well you can ride it.

Nowt wrong with that Klein apart from the price.

P.S. I’m a million miles away from riding well let alone a riding god…so my opinion isn’t based on me thinking I’m better than everyone else, actually the complete opposite, but I do believe it is rider ability that makes a bike ride well and not the need for umpteen inches of travel.

murf
    Free Member

Agreed, I’m equally as slow on my newish stumpjumper as I am on my 1996 CinderCone! I find the Kona is actually quicker if the type of trail suits it and I use it just as much as my full suspension Stumpy.
    Certainly doesn’t feel outdated, just rides differently.

tomhoward

This idea of ‘old-style’ bikes not riding well – utter mince – back then, they were the latest thing and rode very well..

Just because they were the best available doesn’t make them good. It’s like being the best football team in Scotland…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

CX/Gravel bikes are the modern equivalent of the old 90’s MTB’s.

I’ve just bought a 90’s MTB from ebay and it rides great. Lovely springy chromo that hasn’t been made incredible stiff by the addition of disc mounts or modern crash requirements etc.

I used to use bikes like this for everything, singletrack, bridleways, proper trips to the mountains, commuting, biking to friends houses.

garlic
    Free Member

Bought a ’94 Kona Kilauea frame to build up as commuter. Medium size so the TT length and standover was spot on for me. Also light (Tange Prestige) and had seat tube profiling at the BB so was stiff- sprinted like a road bike. Unfortunately it died from rust (no ED coating in them days). That said, 5/5 – would buy again.

joefm

Bikes are for riding.

If you got the money to stick it on a wall then great.

As something to ride – it will be **** shit and will ruin your ride.

ernie

I’ve got a 1992 klien adroit. It was my dream bike when I first started mtbing. Rode it to win the student champs in 2004. Even then it rode amazing. I love the bike and always will. It’s now hung on the wall in my bike room . Sad not to ride it, but would be distraught if it ever came to harm.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘5 grand to spend – Carbon high performance super bike or 24 year old hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.