• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 3M Helicopter Tape – different thicknesses?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Can you get really thin stuff?

Just wondering if you can get different thicknesses of the 3M helicopter tape?

I have a big roll for cable run patches but it’s fairly thick.

I’d like to protect a pair of fancily painted carbon road forks, I’ve made my own templates for the tape shape. Not looking for the same kind of protection like on a mountain bike and want it to be an invisible as possible.

Anybody have a link to really think transparent helicopter tape please?

andyl
    Free Member

do you mean thin?

andyl
    Free Member

do you mean thin?

mark90
    Free Member

150 micron is the thin stuff like Invisiframe use, most helitape seems to be about 300 micron

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Venture-Shield-Super-Adhesive-Car-Bodywork-Venture-Tape-Translucent-Finish-/141165295569

Edit:

This tape is very thin (50 micron), almost like sellotape

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.One23-Armour-Frame-Protection-Tape_63519.htm

But I’d hesitate to recommend it as there is no ‘give’ in the tape to form around curves like the venture shield / helitape.

Rik
    Free Member

Sorry yes – really thin 3m tape

Def. need give as the fork shape curves in several axis.

Rik
    Free Member

Excellent that 150 micron stuff looks good

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’m using the 150micron gear its much easier to work with.

Offers plenty of rub protection.

It won’t do a lot for impact damage

mark90
    Free Member

I used the 150 microm stuff from Demon Tweeks to tape a mates bike recently (no inivisiframe kit available) and odd bits such as forks legs before. It sometimes comes with 3M on the backing tape, sometimes not, and does appear to be exactly the same as the invisiframe tape. A little heat helps with the give on tight compound curves.

Agreed on the impact damage. A stone went right through the 150 invisiframe on my downtube first time out. Now backed up with a strip of 300 like I had my my previous bike.

antigee

^^all useful info – i was confused bought some to protect transfers on a restoration roadie and was way way too thick – just used invisframe kit for mrs antigee’s new roadie and much more suitable but non was left over 🙁
    150micron it is then

Rik
    Free Member

Good stuff – just ordered some of the 150micron stuff – should be great for the scrapes and scratch protection

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘3M Helicopter Tape – different thicknesses?’ is closed to new replies.