Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 3 Peaks training
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Just been drafted in to fill an unexpected spot for walking the 3 Peaks, on weekend 10th June.

So with only around 10 weeks what training should I do 😕

Current fitness is;

Commute on the bike 6 miles a day, with the odd longer 28 mile commute thrown in, I also go for a c.3hrs ride at the weekend.

Up until a couple of months or so ago I was runing 3-4miles twice a week also, so have a bit of running fitness.

Any pointers? how hard is it???

trickydisco
    Free Member

you’ll be fine on that fitness alone.

i did 1 walking route in the brecons 2 weeks before and we did it.

Mostly about the driving in the 24 hours. I suggest tackling ben nevis in the afternoon (we did 4pm_

molgrips
    Free Member

Commute on the bike 6 miles a day

Walk to work!

uplink
    Free Member

Start wearing your walking shoes/boots now

midlifecrashes

As above, in the boots you’ll be using on the day. Walk up a couple of biggish hills on one or two weekends too.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

You’ll be fine!! I remember it being about 26 miles, took me all day with a few stops for butties etc, even ran some of it, you’ll enjoy it its an ace day out I did it for Liverpool children’s hospital few years ago. You do mean Yorkshire and not the Ben Nevis etc?

geoffj

6 posts in and noone has pulled you up for such participating in such a stupidly reckless exercise?

Driving long distances whilst tired etc. etc.

This place is going to the dogs 😉

theteaboy
    Free Member

National 3 Peaks or Yorkshire 3 Peaks?

pault41
    Free Member

6 posts in and noone has pulled you up for such participating in such a stupidly reckless exercise?

Driving long distances whilst tired etc. etc

GET a SUPPORT DRIVER is best option then you can kip in the car/van .

Not that he said he was driving

peterfile
    Free Member

fitness wise both the yorkshire and national 3 peaks are pretty easy unless you are below average fitness.

It’s very enjoyable though. You will find it challenging, but not so much that you can’t appreciate the scenery etc.

Avoid doing it at the weekend if you want to set a decent time and concentrate on getting up and down rather than dodging families with their dogs.

they will take their toll on your feet/legs if you don’t do a reasonable amount of walking.

as others have noted, get some miles under your belt on the hills with your boots on, every hour in them will be worth it when you do the 3 peaks.

I would rather do the 3 peaks with average fitness and great feet than great fitness and average feet. It doesn’t take much to get your feet ready tbh. You could even walk to work in your boots.

djglover
    Free Member

National?

Did it last may, you will probably be OK on that TBH. We did it in about 19 hours but ran down all 3 hills, the guy I did it with was not a runner either.

Summit Ben Nevis just before dark and you will do it all in the daylight.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Yeah def make sure your boots are comfy the little blister plasters are good that have special gel on them always had some of those when I used to do more walking!

toby1

Hah, I’m due to do it the weekend after so I have been wondering the same too.

And yeah I have a 5 mile commute to work I’ve been using to break my boots/feet in, has only been once a week but might go to twice from the next week or so.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cant see the enjoyment in doing the national, and not really a challange either, more of a concern would be the reliability of your car or traffic jams

I did a really nice walk around Ben Nevis a few years back, took in about 6 summits and about 10 hours of solid walking.

Yorkshire 3 peaks bit dull more than anything..

Fitness wise for both nothing special really.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the replies, reassuring that I’m not miles behind with the fitness.

Its the national 3 peaks and there is a support driver, so we should get a little sleep inbetween. I think the plan is to start Ben Nevis @ 5pm on the Friday.

Will start wearing my walking boots to get the feet used to them and search out some hilly routes for a bit of training also.

djglover
    Free Member

Cant see the enjoyment in doing the national, and not really a challange either

its great. I know there is a lot of well documented scorn poured over this event, but I loved it.

See if you can complete all 3 walks in 8 hours, thats a challange!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Just been thinking about kit, I have enough tops from riding/running to layer up.

But any recomendations for some cheap(ish) trousers?

BadlyWiredDog

Sprayway Compass, sort of a stretch soft shell fabric, they do shorts and convertibles as well. About 40 quid, I think. Or just wear baggies 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘3 Peaks training’ is closed to new replies.