• This topic has 28 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 3 **** blow outs. WTF. Help!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So that's three blow outs on the rear in the last 10/12 outings! What's going on. Too much pressure ,too little? 13 stone riding full sus on propedal! Any ideas? Always when giving it some over rocky section.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Mincer error.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tubeless or not? What pressures you running? Pinch flat or tyre of rim?

steve_b77
    Free Member

WTF is a blow out on a MTB tyre, do you mean a puncture or a burped tyre?

Excessive lack of finesse if the latter 😆

Or tyres not suited to terrain is another cause, or too little pressure, or shit tubes, or knackered rim tape, or fecked rims, or…………

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ha ha look at all these positive responses. No mincing here as it took me a while to stop and I suppose a blow out is a sudden loss of pressure bit like how you blow out of your mouth steve 😉
    Tj it was top of the tube, as in directly under the running edge of the tyre. Flap open 10mm across square to the rim!

steve_b77
    Free Member

So you pinch flatted / got a snake bite?

If so, use the common phrase, not something associated with a motor vehicle tyre overheating and typically delaminating and then blowing up/splitting due to pressure in the tyre being too low.

Could be caused by pressure being too low, tyres not fit for purpose i.e. skinny XC tyres used for bowling through rock gardens, crap tubes, heavy riding technique – clipping square edges a lot.

Any of the above, pretty much as my initial post genius 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Doesn't sound like a pinch. Pinches are two parallel tears kinda on the side surfaces.

Yours is a single perpendicular tear on the outer surface where it presses the underside of the tyre.

What tyres and tubes?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I reckon the last one is a pinch where the side wall on one side has compressed, maybe under heavy cornering.

If there's no damage to the outside of the tyre, it's either too low pressure or shite/knackered tubes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sounds like a pinch to me – did you clatter into a rock? More air needed

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wow steve you're so down with the whole cycling terminology, wish I was as dope as you bro.
    Running on 2,2 spesh captains with spesh tubes. Two of the snake attacks isr whatever they are called happened in the same area of rockiness so it might be the tyres/ tubes/ rider?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Reckon it's the pressure then Steve, had pumped the last tube up with my old pump. What pressure you recommend? Might have to go to the garage and get some proper air in there!

soobalias
    Free Member

30psi

Burls72
    Free Member

Specialized tyres have thin sidewalls so your probably getting pinch flats. Use to get the same problem and the only way to stop it was run 45-50 psi in the rear (was 15-16 stone at the time) which made for a harsh ride and poor grip. Switched to tubeless, now run 32-34 psi in the rear so get good grip and zero problems.

lardman
    Free Member

throw away the rubbish spesh tires, they're like riding round with crepe paper tyres. Thin sidewalls, and lots of pinch flats.

Get some Maxxis, minion/highroller if only for the back, and deal with the extra weight. You'll see lots less pinch flatting, and can run low-ish pressures. Not to mention being able to go round corners almost as fast as along the straight bits.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I run 35psi in the rear on my FS when using a 2.1" Racing Ralph, I'd imagine the Captains are a similar tyre in terms of intended useage so it would be a good starting point.

All of this is of course dependent on rider weight and riding style, so if you're pinching on the pressures you're running now, up the pressure until you don't, especially on rocky sections.

Burls72
    Free Member

Personally I run 358psi in the rear on my FS when using a 2.1" Racing Ralph

Bloody hell I thought I ran high pressures 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

strong pumping action

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ahh thats better 😆 😳

el_boufador

have you gogt a slash in the tyre anywhere? I had something similar – the tube worked its way out of the hole over the course of a ride and then BANG!. Took me a few tubes to work out what it was as the problem wasn't obvious 'till you'd ridden the wheel for a while.

Otherwise – rimtape?

D0NK

I used to get a LOT of rear snakebites, tried normal tyres tubless and shredded them. I switched to UST tyre on my xc bike run at 40psi, almost never pinch that now (but still occasionally)

On my burlier bike I started using big but light 'normal' tyres with a DH tube, again at 40ish psi, but still flatted once every ride or so. Now I'm using maxxis dual plys run tubeless, about the same weight as previous combo but so far looking good. (big xc tyre 7-800g DH tube 400g, dual ply 2.3 1100-1200g)

Both are FS on the rear wheel, front wheels and on a hardtail I don't flat so much. I just tend to hit rocky lines hard when on a squishy bike and my tyres suffer for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mincer error for sure ….

br
    Free Member

is there damage in the inside of the tyre, and when you mend punctures do you grate some chalk over the patch?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

He might not be a mincer. Would you say that to his face if he asked you the same question in person? Sounds like a pinch flat to me too. I had a pinch flat once and the hole was a good few mill's long.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I do not write things that I would not say to someones face.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

i had spesh tyres for a while and was constantly getting flats, nearly every ride. Went tubeless and havent had a puncture since, i put id down to going tubeless, but it probably had something to do with the spesh tyres. also found they weren't that grippy at all, never felt comfortable on them.

Edric64
    Free Member

I usually run tyres at 60psi so I don't get pinch punctures

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap specialized tires are gash … but most things cheap are … (not all but most)

i have spesh fast trak LK 2bliss dual compounders – funking ace tire ….

Ti29er
    Free Member

Go tubeless.
    'Round these parts it's a given or else you hold the group ride up, not to mention the messing about on your own rides. One guy had 6 punctures one ride about 2 months ago. Now tubeless and carefree.
    Job done. It really is that simple.

D0NK

mincer error for sure ….

eh? surely mincing around would reduce punctures? Riding gnarly with a capital GNAR would increase punctures…no?

I guess slamming the backend into kerbs and stuff could poduce similar results but thats just bad technique not mincing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘3 **** blow outs. WTF. Help!’ is closed to new replies.