• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 3 days in Sydney, what to see?
  • earbyphil
    Free Member

I will have three days in Sydney in April. What does the collective suggest for me and 9 yr old Grandaughter?

cb

Boat ride across the harbour to the zoo? Bondai (the northern beaches are quieter Manley (you can get a nice long ferry ride there) and Dee Why (sp)). Walk though the botanical gardens, Darling Harbour for more of a bars / restaurants scene. There’s a restaurant (revolving) at the top of a tower that I can’t remember the name of – great views. Day / overnight trip to the Blue Mountains?

cardo

The Rusty Nail or the Westfield tower I think it’s called now, they have the skydeck which has amazing views over the whole of Sydney…

The Bridge climb over the harbour, might need to check age limits etc.. but an amazing experience.

Taronga Zoo

Blue Mountains tour which will fill a day but leave the evening free.

To suggest a few… lucky sod wish we were back out there.

ransos
    Free Member

Bridge climb is amazing – but don’t know if you can take children. The zoo with all the native species is fun, mainly for discovering just how many things can kill you out there.

andyl
    Free Member

9 years since I was there but I would say try the aquarium – go earlier in the day and then back in at night f the tickets still allow and see all the sharks asleep on the tunnel roofs above you.

Also the bridge climb. Shame they make it so safe but needs must I guess 😆

You could do both of those on one day as they are near by and don’t take that long. You can walk around the circular quay between the bridge and the opera house as there are street performers, cafes, shops and an art gallery and huge bats in the trees at the Royal Botanic gardens behind the opera house.

Aquarium is in the Darling Harbour round from the other side of the bridge.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Circular Quay, Opera House, Botanic gardens, another shout for the bats, you get very close to them. The Rocks market is pretty good if you are there on a Sunday. Feery from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour to get great view of Bridge from the water. take ferry to Watsons bay and visit The Gap, great views from there back to downtown, and a great Restaurant is Doyle’s on the beach.

Bondi is a litte overrated, but worh seeing, take bus there then walk to Coogee along the cliff walk and bus back from there.

I did enjoy Taronga zoo, but its a zoo….. better exploring other places – train to Katoomba for Blue Mountains, very do-able in a day.
    I never tired of the Bridge/Opera house view and the walk along from Circulay Quay.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

visit the lord nelson pub in the rocks for some real ale brewed on site.

podgeskeeper
    Free Member

+1 for Taronga Zoo, we really enjoyed it whilst we were there, spent most of 1 whole day in there.

We also caught the train to the blue mountains, worth the trip if you like a bit of walking or on a budget, the train was about £15/20 quid return for 2.

The bridge climb was also good but only takes up half a day.

nickjb
    Free Member

We had about 3 days there. Ferry trip was nice. We went out the Manly and had nice walk around the headland, lots of wildlife (birds and lizards). A few laps of the monorail is quite fun. Skydeck was great. There’s a lot of museums and the like, the Powerhouse is good for youngsters and curious adults. We liked the market, too.

Blue mountains are stunning. We drove and had a few days, not sure what you could do on a day trip but I’m sure it’ll be good. The cable car trip and the miners train are great. Wentworth Falls are amazing (don’t go too near the edge!)

tumbleweed
    Free Member

It’s six years since I was last in Sydney. It’s an amazing city. I’m extremely jealous. I’d have to go along with what others have said, the bridge is a fantastic experience and one of those iconic landmarks you can say you’ve been on. I’ve checked the photos and there were some kids on our tour. They look older than nine though so worth checking. Booking in advance is also a must. Of all the beaches I’d go with Manley. It’s a bus ride to, what I believe is a, very over rated Bondi. Conversely, you take a ferry to Manley which is worth the trip in itself. Finally I’d go for a day trip to the blue mountains. There are plenty of operators that offer day trips if you don’t want the hassle of finding your way by train.

Finally, one to throw out there. In the past 18 months or so I’ve started trusting the views of trip adviser more and more and going for whatever is top rated at the time. So, at #3 in things to do in Sydney, how about, “Bike Buffs – Sydney Bicycle Tours”?

Mackem

as above, also….

Get the train to Cronulla and there’s a ferry over to the Royal National park which is a nice stroll around. (and Cronulla has nice beaches and the Sharkies).

For an authentic Aussie night out you have to go to an RSL club, I recommend the one in Sutherland. You could go on your way back from Cronulla. In Sutherland there is a very good restaurant called “The Mangrove”.

20thebear
    Free Member

Another vote here for the bridge climb.
    Get the ferry to Manly. No point in paying for a proper tour as you get the same views off the ferry.
    Fish and chips at Watson’s Bay
    Don’t go down Oxford St. late at night unless you want to open a 9yo’s eyes to the wider world.
    See if a game of AFL is on in town. Very family friendly and not expensive.

vinnyeh

Aquarium
    Ferry for fish and chips in Manly
    Blu Bar in the ShangriLa hotel has the best views over the Harbour Bridge and city.
    See what’s on at the Opera House or in the domain, sometimes there’s kids events.

20thebear
    Free Member

Crown St and the Surry Hills area is very nice for food and coffee shops.

20thebear
    Free Member

If you like eating a lot of meat – http://hurricanesgrill.com.au/ serves amazing rack of ribs.

woody74

Ferry trip to Manly across the harbour and the views is just great. Ferry tour is also good. Instead of going on the Bridge walk which is expensive you can go to the bridge museum which is free and then there is a viewing platform up one of the towers that again is free or very very cheap. You get all the great views and history at a fraction of the price.

Bats in the botanic gardens are great.

Bus tour is pretty handy to see the history and learn more about the city in only a few hours. You can easily do this with jet lag and then work out what you want to see more of

earbyphil
    Free Member

Many thanks folks. I will do some looking-up and put them to the Grandaughter.

johndoh
    Free Member

Blue Mountains tour which will fill a day but leave the evening free.

Yeah we did this – it was good. We took a local train out too rather than be bundled up in a ‘tour’ for the duration of the day.

I thought Bondai looked like Blackpool with added extra sun.

andrewh
    Free Member

Is she old enough to try surfing?
    Manly is excellent for that, the locals all told me to go there when I mentioned Bondai, good call.
    I’m going back in October 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for Manly over Bondi. Wasn’t the best day to go but Bondi but definitely prefered Manly.

marcus
    Free Member

I was there with family the other week. We were staying in freshwater and got the ferry over, walked around the outside of the opera house, took a few photos of the bridge for a couple of hours and then went back to Freshwater to build sandcastles on the beach and swim. Seen 1 city seen then all 🙂

cardo

Just reminiscing …. the trip we did to the Blue Mountains included lunch and a visit to a zoo on the outskirts of Sydney where you could make a fuss of a Koala and have your pic taken etc… then it detoured back via the Sydney Olympic site and ended with a 1 hour boat trip back to the harbour going under the Bridge.. was a great day out. well worth it..

Also they do Harley tours of the city , which looked fun but not too sure if suitable for a 9 year old TBH

+1 for the Aquarium too.

20thebear
    Free Member

I recon Bronte and Tamarama are better than Bondi. You can always do the walk between them.

Sam

Pretty much all the beaches are better than Bondi. Bronte is my favourite and has a nice natural sea pool if you/your grand daughter are not strong swimmers or happy in surf. If that’s the case it’s also worth checking out some of the eastern suburbs harbour beaches which can be lovely. Keep in mind it may well not exactly be beach weather in April as well. The aquarium is good for poor weather days as are some of the galleries and historical sites. Just a wander around The Rocks is a nice insight to Sydney’s early history.

A walk (or taxi ride) up to North Head is a nice thing to add on to any trip to Manly, amazing views across the harbour, down the coast and out to sea.

For an authentic Aussie night out you have to go to an RSL club

Good call – North Sydney RSL is better than most and has amazing views back over the harbour – I had my leaving do there (gulp) nearly 12 years ago….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘3 days in Sydney, what to see?’ is closed to new replies.