Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 3 days in North and Mid wales – where to ride?
  • frogrocket
    Free Member

Hi all,

So me and a bud have 3 days mid-week riding planned in the first week of August – where should we go?

We’ve done Degla to death, and coed-y-brenin plenty of times, plus 2 uplift days at Stiniog, so was looking for some other suggestions…

Is Cadair Idris worth a look?
    Any other must-do natural trails?
    We haven’t done Snowdon, so might look at that if there’s a good evening forecast (morning ruled out as not getting up that early on a holiday!)

We’ll be in tents and pretty flexible with location, just need to be in Machynlleth by Friday to meet up with families.

Where’s good then? 3 hour rides with good views and some challenging descents ideally…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Home Page

Loads of routes on this site. Enjoy.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I enjoyed Penmachno, it has all your requirements if you do both loops.

binners
    monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Drum Mnt is great. Worth the up n’ down slog to the summit. The descent is fab.

benp1

CliMachX or Mach 3 trails? Lots of riding in mid Wales, not necessarily tech riding but loads of forest trails etc to ride on. You can link part of the Nant Yr Arian trails too

Stoner
    Free Member

NYA is my fave in mid wales recently.
    Loved it on the SS.

Mach trails are good for some “out there” riding, if not that tech.

I prefer walking Cadair Idris persoanlly.

Never done snowdon though.

mt
    Free Member

Go to Rhayader and see Clive Powell at Elan Valley Cyclery and ask him for a route. Longish day ask about the Monks Trod alternatively ask him for a route that includes the Black run, Bonk Hill and the Links. Elan valley is full of great routes that are almost all single track, you’ll love it.

soobalias
    Free Member

we were up there based in Mach a while back, did ClimachX Harder and Cadair Idris, both on the flattyres site. both excellent.

tmb467
    Free Member

did three days a few years back…ended up with Nant yr Arian / Climacx on day 1, Pont Scethin on day 2 and Snowdon on the evening of day 3

great weather and beer in Dolgellau campsite / Torrents Walk (they allow fires as well)

oldejeans
    Free Member

I like the new bits of the Marin trail
    Penmachno has always been a great favourite
    Drum descent is a near 4-mile-long hoon. Not particularly demanding but great fun.
    Llyn Cowlyd loop for something a bit more natural and spectacular, although I think there’s a 300m tarmac drop
    Snowdon Ranger is a must
    There is so much more to Dyfi than Climach-x. Personally I’d spend the entire time in that forest.

mountainman

Another for the “Monks Trod” ,tefi pools provides wild camping too if your sensible about times etc.

singlespeedstu

Another vote for Elan Valley.
    I’d avoid he trod though as it’s just a slog across the hill and not much fun. Golf links, Garreg Ddu and the chapel descent are much more fun.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mt Where are those trails/routes? I’ve done a bit in the Elan valley but don’t know names. Some arrows on Streetmap would be useful.

crikey
    Free Member

Camp in/at/near Dollgellau and one evening, as the sun is setting, ride down the path to Barmouth, in flip flops or other unsuitable shoes, have chips from the chippy, then a couple of pints and gently meander your way back.
    Take torches/bike lights.
    Stop at the pub on the trail.

It’s ace.

frogrocket
    Free Member

Smashing- plenty to go at then.

Cheers all!

grtdkad

Three days? Trans-Cambrian surely !

mt
    Free Member

@Whitestone, those names are those used by riders who spent any time with Clive Powell. singlespeedstu has the correct names. The “black run” is the decent to the chapel. Just get an OS map of the area and look at all bridle ways. The Elan Valley is still to me one of the best places to ride an MTB, I am biasd though.
    The Monks Trod should still be done, it right of passage for some.

cinnamon_girl

The classic Wayfarer?

olly2097
    Free Member

Nant yr Arian black
    Marin
    Snowdon down via ranger
    Ceriog valley/berwyns (not the llawnt though – sanitised)

Personally cant stand penmachno. Liked cadair idris but it’s over in minutes once you start descending

mahalo

no mention of Revs!?

Anyone got a route for Pont Scethin they’d care to share?

that Drum Mountain looks great but dont wanna drive up to conway (we stay in Porthmaddog) looking for something new myself…..

whitestone
    Free Member

@mt Really useful, thanks.

Vortexracing

Drum gets my vote

frogrocket
    Free Member

Bit more detail then….

We’re coming from Manchester so might stop off to do Drum Mountain on the way out. How long would you allow for 2 reasonably fit fellas on day one of what will surely be a sunny, dry and dusty trip? 🙂

Will probably play the rest by ear, maybe finishing at ClimachX on the Friday morning as we are stopping nearby – thanks again for all the tips!

frogrocket
    Free Member

binners

Drum descent is a near 4-mile-long hoon. Not particularly demanding but great fun.

Indeed. Its all about the speed. There was a thread on here a few years ago asking whats the fastest you’d been off-road. It was just a list of what speed everyone had hit on the Drum mountain descent. 45-50 mph was about right. So make sure you’ve plenty of meat on your brake pads. You’ll need ’em 😀

It has to be said that the views from Drum are pretty spectacular. And while you’re hooning down, you’ve the Welsh coastline in front of you. Its like a video game!

oldejeans
    Free Member

45-50kph surely?

mahalo

phuckit, im driving to conway…

maybe get an afternoon at Stinky on the way back….

mahalo

Re DRUM LOOP

is it definitely worth doing the last bit past across Mynydd Y Dref over to Conway or would you just cut back to the carpark along Sychnant Pass Rd?

kimbers

Mach trails are good for some “out there” riding, if not that tech

Thers plenty of tech over there
    The Athertons moved there for a good reason
    Getting a local to guide you helps, some of the best mtb trails in the UK

binners

45-50kph surely?

Nope. I’ve just googled Drum Mountain and STW. The first thread that came up was from Lowey (6 bloody years ago!) quoting hitting 50mph on the descent. If I remember rightly, last time we did it, my GPS said 48 mph. Everyone else’s were the same

If you’ve not ridden Drum, you really need too. You will hit 45mph+ on the 4 mile long descent. Its grassy, smooth, very very fast, and you’ve got sort of natural berms on it. Its absolutely bloody brilliant! 😀

You’ve got to earn it though. Its a hell of a slog to get up to the summit

frogrocket
    Free Member

Fastest I’ve been is 49.5mph on the road in the Peak District. Shat myself and vowed not to go that fast again, ever.

But 50mph on the MTB is seriously tempting….

Sounds like there’s some nice soft grass for emergency landings then. I’d best pack the semi-slick rear tyre 😉

frogrocket
    Free Member

Thers plenty of tech over there
    The Athertons moved there for a good reason
    Getting a local to guide you helps, some of the best mtb trails in the UK

Anyone got their number?

mahalo

binners – Member
    The best route in Wales

gonna do this on friday i reckon.

fancy a lap of the Marin while im local too, will this be doable after drum mtn or will i be done!!?

oldejeans
    Free Member

@ binners, – going by strava, KOM peaks at 58kph

so I doff my hat to you and your unofficial KOM buddies

Flattyres
    Free Member

Thanks monkeysfeet for the link to my website. Here’s a direct one to my North Wales routes: http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/

Outside of the usual ones mentioned I would recommend the Ceiriog Valley and the Berwyns. Often overlooked for some reason but it contains some of my favourite local riding.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Dave at bike cores is well worth giving a shout to. Lovely bloke, with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Dyfi forest / Mach / Aber area http://www.bikecorris.co.uk/#intro

frogrocket
    Free Member

32.7mph – Drum was Big Fun!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘3 days in North and Mid wales – where to ride?’ is closed to new replies.