Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 2nd hand pair of wheels arrived with a dent – should I be miffed?
  • granny_ring

Yep agreed send them back.
    Judging by some of the replies on here I wouldn’t want to buy off those people either.
    Any damage should be stated – buckles, dents and bearing wear/noise so buyer can make a decision to buy or not.

davewalsh
    Free Member

To be honest, if you’re only going to use the hub in QR format, I personally think the original version is a better hub. The axle is a smaller diameter therefore the bearings are bigger and last longer, and they’re also standard sizes so much easier and cheaper to get hold of. 12mm bolt through’s are prone to snapping axles though, which isn’t a problem with the EVO.

nwill1
    Free Member

I don’t like ads that are ambiguous, ‘good’/’great’ condition without them giving any specifics i.e no dents or scratches. Generally, if it’s vague confirm everything so you have written proof of what you can expect when the goods arrive. I’d be miffed at the dent but annoyed with myself for not asking. I think eBay/PayPal will side with you though.

I get annoyed with folk on here saying what can you expect…I expect goods to be as described regardless of new or used!!

chestrockwell

Agreed. If no mention of the dent was made then you should expect none dented wheels.

monkeyboyjc

Sorry if this reply sounds harsh….

Are you happy with the price you paid for a second hand set of wheels – Concidering the dented rim?
    If the answers yes, then stop stressing.

Now the more likely answer is that your not happy with the product or price you paid (as you posted on here to say so) and you should be contacting the seller to send them back for a full refund – although this is alot of hassle / work (hense the justification searching on a forum).

If the hassle of sending back the wheels out ways the cost saving and additional hassle of finding a replacement set of wheels then…… keep them.

plyphon
    Free Member

Well – I’ve actively avoided auctions that state the rims have any sort of dent – wear and tear scratches I don’t have issue with but I’ve stayed clear from any mentions of dents.

So the issue is, had the seller mentioned that (if it was dented before selling) I wouldn’t of bid. I was expecting an undamaged rim and Pro2 Evo front and back. On those grounds I’ll be returning. I feel bad for the guy as EBay will make him pay the return postage. If what he says is true regarding the dent and he can prove it I guess he can claim against MyHermes.

singlespeedstu

the rear hub is branded as Santa Cruz. If thats the case it’s not a Pro2 Evo

What makes you say that?
    I have a set of Santacruz branded PRO2EVOs.
    They’re just branded with the SC logo as they came on an SC bike.

bobbyspangles

if I was selling them I would have mentioned the ding but some people are not not as saintly as me 😉

Could you try to send back as the item is not as described? What does the seller say?

aracer
    Free Member

Which is why ebay has purchase protection – I have to admit I’m still wondering if the seller is trying it on, and was hoping that it will be too much hassle to return as monkeyboy suggests. Maybe he wasn’t aware of it as I guess you don’t necessarily do a full inspection when selling in the same way you do when buying – very dubious about damage like that happening in transit, it’s very localised damage which isn’t typical for what you get with that. Does the box they came in have any obvious damage? If not I reckon you can pretty much rule that out.

plyphon
    Free Member

Nah – the box is fine. The seller asked me to send photos of the box to rule that out. Maybe he was hoping to pin it on the courier. They were also well packed.

I’d like to know how to spot the difference between a Pro2 and an Evo – are there any external differences other than the writing on the shell?

Northwind

plyphon – Member

Is there much value difference between Pro 2 and an Evo?

Not so much value, but if you use/plan to use 12mm maxles the pro 2 isn’t really fit for purpose, the axles are too weak. The Evo fixes all of that, and makes swapping axles a bit easier too if you’re bothered, it’s a better hub but the diferences are fairly specific.

There’s no meaningful difference between the fronts.

davewalsh
    Free Member

The shape of the NDS adapter is different and a dead give away. The evo version doesn’t have the 45 degree flange on it. It should look like this :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/hope-pro-2-evo-rear-hub-conversion-kit/rp-prod68578

plyphon
    Free Member

Thanks Dave

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand pair of wheels arrived with a dent – should I be miffed?’ is closed to new replies.