Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2nd hand car – miles vs age
  • klunky
    Free Member

Im looking at getting a 2nd hand car (Honda civic 2.2 diesel).

Have found 2 in my budget both the same price more or less.

One has 48k and is a 2012 model
    Other has 25k and is 2010 model

More or less same price for each and same spec/trim and condition.

I always purchased based on low mileage is this the best way to go?

(wrong forum woops)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Low is better generally.

Though with a Civic it won’t be a wreck for having done 48k in a couple of years. That said, not had diesel so don’t know on the reliability there, but it’s a Honda so can’t go wrong really.

jimw
    Free Member

To a certain extent it depends on how many miles you are going to add. The higher mileage one will most likely have been used regularly on motorways which puts less stress on components so mechanically may actually be in better condition than one used for lots of stop start local journeys.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Just check the clutch and flywheel, only real week point with this engine, will it be covered under warranty etc.

robdob
    Free Member

I would be concerned that the lower mileage one will have been used round town a lot having done so few miles. Won’t be good for a modern diesel engine. Also, have they had it serviced regularly? Some people ignore the time aspect when they see “every 10,000 miles or 12 months”.

48k isn’t many many miles over 2.5 years. If it’s in fab condition that’s the one I’d be favouring, unless the older model has a different engine or anything else major that might be better than the newer model.

Is it from a dealers?

Pz_Steve

I would always say “buy on condition”, but you’ve said they’re much the same.

What are the service histories like? How many miles will you do? What are the service schedules like for these cars? Any big expenses scheduled at, say, 60k might influence you.

All else being equal I’d be more inclined to go for the newer one. It’s done around 20-25k per year, depending on when in 2012 is was first registered. To my mind this is preferable to one that’s just done around 5-6k a year, which makes me think of a lot of very short journeys where the engine and fluids haven’t got warmed through.

Clearly that’s based on internet assumptions, though, so I’d be trying to verify what kind of life each car has had to date.

Alternatively, which colour do you prefer…?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy on condition and history etc, both are relatively low mileage and hope neither was a hire car…

br
    Free Member

With any s/h car are there big service items due, if so price accordingly.

For example, when I bought my last car it had 56k and it had a 100k belts etc recommendation. So I wanted the belts etc done before buying. After a few mins of discussion the Salesman said “you’re not buying without them been done are you?”

“Nope”

They did them and I bought the car.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For example, when I bought my last car it had 56k and it had a 100k belts etc recommendation. So I wanted the belts etc done before buying. After a few mins of discussion the Salesman said “you’re not buying without them been done are you?”

That’s a bit extreme? Some cars have <44k intervals for the belts! Saying that, for ~£250 on top of a service I got mine done sooner rather than later as the car probably won’t make it to a 3rd belt in my ownership.

klunky
    Free Member

Thanks all. Some things to think about!

karlsbug
    Free Member

+1 newer. Check that it has fsh. If not walk away.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2nd hand car – miles vs age’ is closed to new replies.