Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 29er wheels on a cyclocross bike.
  • flip
    Free Member

I am buildind a cyclocross bike with a disc specific frame, will any 29er MTB wheels fit and be ok?

I understand that 700c is the same dia as 29er, so as long as the rim isn’t too wide (20mm ish) it will be fine?

Rorschach
    Free Member

yes.As long as its 135mm rear spacing.

flip
    Free Member

Ok so what MTB rims would be suitable?

thorpie
    Free Member

I tried Stans Crest 29er rims on my Croix de Fer but couldn’t get any cx or Hybrid tyres to fit on the rims and believe me I tried. I think most 29er rims are too wide for non mtb tyres to be honest. I ended up returning the Stans and got some Mavic 700c A317 rims built onto Hope Pro 2 hubs, very pleased. Eighteen bikes in Hope built them for me, top job.

Trevor.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes same size, the front won’t be an issue but the rear hub spacing on a road/cx frame 130mm and mtb is 135mm. If its a steel frame you can ‘manipulate’ it to fit.

thorpie
    Free Member

What frame have you got/getting? The CdF has a 135mm rear wheel spacing, guessing the Cotic X does too.

flip
    Free Member

I want one of these:

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/crosslight/prosix

Its 135mm on the blurb.

Don’t know if they are available yet as CRC and Wiggle don’t have any.

I need some 700c disc wheels that will be compatible with 10sp roadie gear..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I like the look of that kenesis a lot too.

zilog6128

I’ve got a Croix de Fer on order at the moment. The shop are building me wheels on ZTR Crest rims (Hope on rear, Shimano dynamo on front). I went for Crest as they are lightweight & good value. Not too fussed about super-skinny tyres as I am looking for comfort & reasonable off-road performance. Must admit though, I did not even consider the width of the rims. I have specced 28mm Marathon Supreme tyres – are these going to work with the Crests (rim width 24.4mm)? Or if not what is the thinnest tyre I could use on Crests?

zilog6128

Ok answered my own question with a bit of googling :lol:. ZTR Crest internal width=21mm. According to the chart on Sheldon’s site, optimal tyre width would be 35-50mm.
    Stll lighter (just!) to use 35c Marathon Supremes on ZTR Crest than 28c tyres on Mavic A317 rims though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If anyone is thinking of it my Cotic X has 135mm back end. I wouldn’t bother with 29er rims though as the X won’t take bigger tyres. (In fact the only reason why I am only 95% pleased with it. Don’t ask why I bought it. Impulse and to be honest 40’s will do.)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I owned one of the Kinesis Pro6 frames briefly and used open pro CD rims on MTB hubs. The Crests are pretty wide internally for skinny tyres.

thorpie
    Free Member

Personally from experience I would reconsider the Stans Crests for the CdF, you will struggle. I couldn’t get 700×35 Schwalbe marathon plus tyres on and even if you did you would’t want to be taking them off again very often, especially at the roadside! I now have pair of Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres on my rims, size 38c, there isn’t enough clearance for anything bigger and you can forget trying to fit regular mud guards.

Trevor.

convert

I was warned off using crests when considering something similar- all to do with the seating of non tubeless beads and the sort of pressures used in smaller tyres (35mm for example instead of say a 2″ MTB tyre) being a risk for it blowing off the rim.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

You could buy my set of FSA RD460’s if you need 130mm rear spacing, I’m sure I could do them with tyres & spare tubes for a little over £100 if you fancy them 😉

OCB
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Mavic’s A719’s.
    I run a couple of sets (on different bicycles), and they are equally happy with 700 x 32 slicks, 700 x 34 CX tyres, 29 x 2.3’s (tho’ not in a CX bike).

Granted they aren’t the lightest rims you’ll find, but mine have certainly proven themselves to build up into stiff, tough wheels.

rOcKeTdOg

DT470’s

nedrapier

swapped my 28c gatorskins for 2″ Fat frank tyres for todays ride. never had a problem with either on my Mavic Open Pro CD rims. Or with the 2″ race kings. Classy, understated grey, too (once you take the decals off!)

mattsccm
    Free Member

My Cotic has Mavic CXP 33’s. Happy with 25mm road tyres and 38mm knobblies.

bikergbr
    Free Member

Hi
    I am currently running a Cotic
    hope hoops crests
    35mm racing ralph at upto 65psi
    no problems so far…

zilog6128

Personally from experience I would reconsider the Stans Crests for the CdF, you will struggle. I couldn’t get 700×35 Schwalbe marathon plus tyres on and even if you did you would’t want to be taking them off again very often, especially at the roadside! I now have pair of Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres on my rims, size 38c, there isn’t enough clearance for anything bigger and you can forget trying to fit regular mud guards.

Trevor.
    lol, just spoken to the guy who is building my wheels. Poor chap tried just about every CX-type tyre in his workshop and couldn’t get any to fit on the Crest rim! Fortunately this was rim only (before he actually built the wheel). He wanted to check because I told him about your comments. Good thing he did! We are going to go with Mavic Open Pro instead now. Slightly heavier than Crests but only 55g extra, no biggie. You live and learn!

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got some Mavic A317 disc rims on Deore hubs for sale here… stw ad
    Yous for £100 posted :mrgreen:

zilog6128

Need my clicky rear hub I’m afraid, plus I’m having a dynamo hub put on the front!

tomaso
    Free Member

No worries, but for reference I’ve found the rims to be faultless.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘29er wheels on a cyclocross bike.’ is closed to new replies.