Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 29er tyres for the Peak District
  • cockellshell1
    Free Member

Hello,
    I’m after some advice on tyres.
    I’ve just recently taken off some hans dampf which I’ve been using through the winter, I now have some racing Ralph 2.1×29
    I really like them, they are quick, and in dry-ish conditions seem to grip nicely, but when things have got a bit sticky they lose pretty much all grip. They are also becoming a right pain in the arse due to the fact that although they are tubeless Ready, the sidewalls leak badly and within 24hrs they’re flat.
    So I guess I’m after a more “all round” performing tyre which won’t lose so much air, so quickly.
    Any views or personal experiences would be much appreciated as the racing Ralph tyres weren’t cheap and the missus won’t be happy if I have to keep shelling out 80-90 quid every time I get it wrong.
    Cheers

Clink

Specialized Purgatory or Ground control?

GHill

What sealant are you using? Something doesn’t sound right there.

emac65
    Free Member

My Ralphs stay up fine toobless

lerk
    Free Member

On one smorgasbords £20 an end as well!

cockellshell1
    Free Member

I’ve used 3 different sealants, Stans, joe’s and Fenwick airtight.
    I’ve tried leaving them on a bucket on their side, all sorts.
    The back tyre isn’t as bad as the front, and they do last on a ride.
    I left my bike at work to ride home and when it came to leaving they had lost air and the front tyre had lost its seat, I couldn’t get enough air in to seal with my hand pump. Work in Buxton, live in Ripley 29 miles away. I had to dismantle the bike an squeeze it in my mates car. I wasn’t a happy bunny, but was extremely thankful I had a plan b.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory(f), Ground control(r) – brilliant tyres.

emac65
    Free Member

That’s strange I’ve always found them to be fine for holding pressure,so long as I remember to top the sealant up in them every so often.Main problem I have with them is wearing out too quick,which is why I’m probably going to try a ground control..

DanW
    Free Member

Ask for a refund on the tyres or see what the LBS think- either way something isn’t right.

If you pump them up to 40psi can you hear the air escaping from anywhere?

cockellshell1
    Free Member

What I’ve been doing is pumping them back up, giving them a good shake to spread the sealant, then checking them under water for leaks.
    Even when I think I’ve cracked it they still leak. Longest they have stopped up is about two and a half days.

Paceman
    Free Member

Put the Hans Dampfs back on, they’re great all round trail tyres.

simondbarnes

Purgatory 2.3 front, Ground Control 2.1 rear

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘29er tyres for the Peak District’ is closed to new replies.