Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 29er help…mtb on the road how to be quicker/faster/user interface issues?????
  • vondally
    Free Member

okay so riding a lot more road at the moment in recovery from injury and training…….hence the user interface issues …….the injuries are ‘rugby neck’/disc damage leading to nerve damage in both hands…lower back disc problems, I have come a long way following some medical intervention and other interventions but still

so managed to get a 29er Scandal to work fairly well in managing the issues…..I cannot cope with drops or road bikes due to the issues with my neck and nerves in my hands.. hydraulic brakes work better than cables but have some issues with ‘feel’ …….happy with the scandal and it not causing many issues for me even with carbon forks and a USE shokpost.

However it is still a mountain bike on the road with Specialized Ground Control 2.1/Bontrager 1.9 race tyres, entered at a sportive event in May and need some advice help on

a) recommendations on tyres to cut resistance BUT maintain some comfort (Volume equal suspension???) and maintains control/grip I am not the worlds best bike handler

b)are 29ers with MTB really that much slower over road tyres……or is gearing??? or am I just that slow unfit???

all advice welcome 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got some schwalbe marathon 32mm on my run around 29er rims. They’re ok on the road and smooth things out a bit.

MTB will be slower on the road than a road bike, it’s a bit of everything, weight, gearing, a lot to do with a more aero position.

grtdkad
    Free Member

I fitted a pair of Schwalbe Durano tyres to my 26″ HT for similar health related issues.

Like them, trust them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-performance-folding-tyre/

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Maybe some big fat slicks like schwalbe big apples or similar would give plenty comfort and much more speed. It’s what I intend to do for my 29er when I commute on it. Also you could probably fit a trekking crankset, they tend to have a larger front ring to help top end speed if you have the legs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘29er help…mtb on the road how to be quicker/faster/user interface issues?????’ is closed to new replies.